LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

CD Changer and cassette player not responsive.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 07:11 PM
Mazamin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD Changer and cassette player not responsive.

Hi

i joined the Lexus club owners by buying my Lexus just two days ago. With 200K miles on it, I did not expect every feature to work. The are problem with the CD changer and the cassette player as followings.
I have read through a few threads here before, but most of those most of them were about jammed CD changer. I have Navigation system.

Cassette Player: I know that there is a cassette in the player since it plays it and I hear the sound, but it doesn't eject the tape. When I press the eject button I hear the sound of some mechanical actions/engagements in the player but the door never opens even with some force.

CD Changer: the things seems to be even less or not responsive. When I press the Load button nothing happens, even no green light comes on. I do not hear any mechanical sound either. When I press Eject button for 2-3 seconds, it beeps once and nothing happens again. I am not sure if the previous owners had left any CD in it or not. I get "CD-Error". The CD door, seems not to open if I want to force in a CD.

What I did are:

1- Unplugging negative cable of the battery, and reconnecting it after 4-5 minutes. No change in outcome.
2- Found 5 fuses related to Audio System, took them out and put them back after 5 minutes. No change in outcome.
3- Hit the sides and above the CD changer (as was suggested in some threads), while pressing the CD Eject button. No change in outcome.

I don't care about the tape, but I hope the CD works with not much money. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-23-17, 07:39 AM
Mazamin
Driver School Candidate

Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-23-17, 10:13 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

you can try to pry the cassette with a very small bent object while pushing the eject button and see if if gives up the cassette.cant hurt.
The following users liked this post:
Mazamin (08-30-17)
Old 08-24-17, 11:40 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

about the cd player, there are indicators on the display for how many cds are loaded. 1-6. are they lit or not? error 1 is cd is dirty or damaged or upside down. error 3 or 4 indicates there is trouble inside the system pg. 286 of manual. there is no error 2 listed. when I push load it says wait orange glow and load when green glow appears. after ejecting a cd it usually says load.
Old 08-28-17, 02:21 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

The cassette on my 2001 LS 430 is completely dead. The CD changer works.

If I try to put a cassette in, there is no attempt to pull it in or play. It just goes in and gets stuck.

Could this be a fuse issue if only the cassette is dead?
Old 08-30-17, 10:37 AM
Mazamin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
about the cd player, there are indicators on the display for how many cds are loaded. 1-6. are they lit or not? error 1 is cd is dirty or damaged or upside down. error 3 or 4 indicates there is trouble inside the system pg. 286 of manual. there is no error 2 listed. when I push load it says wait orange glow and load when green glow appears. after ejecting a cd it usually says load.
JFFGRY706

I do have the Navigation system, and on my screen shows CD buttons 1 through 6, but the buttons are light gray. Does it mean nothing is inside? Also the error that I get is only "CD-ERROR".

Thanks.
Old 08-30-17, 11:55 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I believe your cd player is full. when empty the numbers do not appear.
Old 09-11-17, 09:11 PM
Mazamin
Driver School Candidate

Yaaay!!. I fixed it. How?

On Ebay I found a used Cassette/CD Changer in our town (Austin, TX). I visited the seller and tested it the CD player didn't work. Because the owner (a used car dealer) was saying that it worked, I took his word and concluded that probably the cables/harnesses were bad. I took it to three Auto Audio stores (in less than 15 minutes!!), but they said only Lexus dealers can repair it in our town, or a particular audio repair shop in our town. I took it to the repair shop and told the owner that probably there is something wrong with cables. He said No, because he knows such systems are prone to failure, but he can fix it. To support his opinion about the faulty deice not cables, he pointed out to the the CD-loading cover (door) that was not fully closed (vertical) but was with some angle. I had seen that angle but had thought that it might be OK.

For how much would he fix? $350 including tax. I could not afford it. I decided to try to fixed it for the last time by only focusing on fixing the door. I disassembled the faceplate of the CD-Changer. and disassembled a couple of PCB's and all the small mechanical parts to the very last component, and then could turn the door to make it vertical. Put everything back, and then you guess it: the device started initializing itself and then loaded, played and ejected the CD flawlessly. I was very proud of myself (haha) and saved $350!!
Old 09-12-17, 07:41 AM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Way to go!
Enjoy your music!
Old 09-12-17, 12:20 PM
Mazamin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mazamin
JFFGRY706

I do have the Navigation system, and on my screen shows CD buttons 1 through 6, but the buttons are light gray. Does it mean nothing is inside? Also the error that I get is only "CD-ERROR".

Thanks.
There was no CD inside.