LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 sales prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 11:55 PM
ALISC400
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot depends on what you're using your car for. A daily? a weekend getaway? Miles and condition do play a big role but it is also how you maintain it as well as are you happy with your purchase in a way. I do adore the LS430's but their age does show. I would rather prefer the 05-06 than a 01-02 but if I could afford the LS460 (which is dropping in price), why not!

I've seen LS430's (especially 06!) actually more expensive here than the 07 LS460 due to low miles. The upkeep for the 430 is still paramount as the costs are considerably low. I'd honestly be swayed by a low miles 05-06 LS430 but finding one that's within my budget is still a challenge.
Old 09-19-17, 03:03 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Finally sold my LS430. It took about 2 months.

It's a great market if you're a buyer, not so much if you're a seller. There's a few floating around with high prices, but once you get miles on these things, it's a tough sale. Sedans just don't do really well when it comes time to sell. When I sold my wife's Lexus GX470 SUV that was the same year, I was beating buyers off with a stick. Very little interest in the LS.

I only got $8,000 for my LS. Close to 180k miles which was the biggest issue with it. It had almost every single option except it wasn't a UL. Rear camera, parking sensors, GPS, ventilated seats, Mark Levinson sound, etc. And what I would consider a desirable color, Flint Mica. I had lots of receipts and had a lot of documented repairs.

It was in excellent condition, but not perfect.

It was honestly a shame to let such a nice car go for so little, but that was the going price. I came close to giving it to a family member.

I would have kept it as a maybe a 3rd car if I had the room, but I just wanted something newer as a daily driver and it was time to move on.
I would say you made out....dealers likely pay that for those 60k cars that they take in trade, then sell for 14.....once into 4 figures, I think why not keep (maybe lack of driveway space) or give away, when I look at my own life, on two occasions friends gave me a car for free. One lasted a year, the other 8 years. Not a bad gift for a struggling college student. But times have changed, a college student likely would not like to be given a LS430...meaning wants and expectations tend to be higher (for the life of me I will never understand the turn 16 and get a brand new car from parents)
Old 09-19-17, 04:43 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
It was honestly a shame to let such a nice car go for so little, but that was the going price. I came close to giving it to a family member.
There's definitely a Catch 22 with purchasing the LS. Buying what many believe to be one of the most reliable cars ever made, but finding it ironically difficult to sell when the time comes to move into another car.
Old 09-19-17, 08:47 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mykvr6
What year was your car? I paid 4950 for my '02 I just bought. I wanted it cheaper! haha. 160k miles, tons of receipts and records, never wrecked, interior pretty nice. It needed a few things but I looked at a few newer cars with multiple problems and spotty service records. The only really nice car I looked at was an 05, 87k VERY clean at a small dealer. they wanted 12k for the car and it needed a few things. Mirror switch needed repair, needed bushings or brakes, it pulsated pretty bad during braking and the rear shade was broken. It was supper clean all original, no wrecks, super straight, super clean interior but it needed too much and would still need a timing belt and other service at its age and mileage. So to me the car wasn't worth the price. All the newer cars I looked at had low ish miles but most needed multiple fixes (tilt steering, mirror switches, stereo speakers out etc etc)

It was a 2004.

The 2001-2003 generation goes for a lot less than the 2004-2006.

The 2001-2003 are a huge bang for the buck.
Old 09-19-17, 09:10 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought my 01 for $5,400. 128k miles this past spring. Silver with black interior. 1 owner, garage kept. Interestingly the previous owner replaced all 4 tires, did brakes and rotors all around, replace the spark plugs and wires, did a transmission drain/fill and a full synthetic Mobil One oil change about 2k miles before selling it to me. It also has a Lexus battery dated in the past 1 year. He had all the documentation that included a timing belt and water pump check. (not sure what the check entails) It had a newer set of rubber/all weather floor mats in the trunk.

So far, I've changed 1 tail light bulb and both low beam headlight bulbs. I also swapped to different rims as the originals had oxydization/peeling. Found a nice set from an 02 on eBay for cheap.

I don't know if I got a good deal. With the maintenance that had been done, I hope I can just drive for a year or two. Seems like a good value for the condition to me when I drive it.
Old 09-19-17, 12:55 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bloomwcjkl
I bought my 01 for $5,400. 128k miles this past spring. Silver with black interior. 1 owner, garage kept. Interestingly the previous owner replaced all 4 tires, did brakes and rotors all around, replace the spark plugs and wires, did a transmission drain/fill and a full synthetic Mobil One oil change about 2k miles before selling it to me. It also has a Lexus battery dated in the past 1 year. He had all the documentation that included a timing belt and water pump check. (not sure what the check entails) It had a newer set of rubber/all weather floor mats in the trunk.

So far, I've changed 1 tail light bulb and both low beam headlight bulbs. I also swapped to different rims as the originals had oxydization/peeling. Found a nice set from an 02 on eBay for cheap.

I don't know if I got a good deal. With the maintenance that had been done, I hope I can just drive for a year or two. Seems like a good value for the condition to me when I drive it.
Sounds like a reasonable deal. With the maintenance you listed there should be much else needed other than maybe brakes or small things like hood/trunk shocks.
Old 09-19-17, 02:28 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 194 Posts

When was the timing belt last changed?
Old 09-20-17, 11:57 AM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bob04
When was the timing belt last changed?
This is an unknown for me. I'm contemplating doing it. I'm not sure what it means that the shop checked it and did not change it within the last 5k miles.

I might stop by the shop and see if they have any notes on the car. I know some shops are good at putting a sticker with the date and mileage. I have not found that on my car.

By miles I'm maybe not due, but by years, it could be overdue. What does the group recommend? Change it and make it a "known"?
Old 09-20-17, 12:04 PM
jimisbell
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

This is an unknown for me. I'm contemplating doing it. I'm not sure what it means that the shop checked it and did not change it within the last 5k miles.

I might stop by the shop and see if they have any notes on the car. I know some shops are good at putting a sticker with the date and mileage. I have not found that on my car.

By miles I'm maybe not due, but by years, it could be overdue. What does the group recommend? Change it and make it a "known"?
It is very clear in the manual that 90K miles OR 9 years, whichever comes FIRST!! So it is a "known"

Will it last longer? Probably but you are pushing it if you dont follow the manual AND the penalty for being wrong is a TRASHED engine since it is an interference engine. The cost of the engine replacement after the valves hit the pistons at cruise speed is half the price of the car.

Last edited by jimisbell; 09-20-17 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 12:48 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jimisbell
It is very clear in the manual that 90K miles OR 9 years, whichever comes FIRST!! So it is a "known"

Will it last longer? Probably but you are pushing it if you dont follow the manual AND the penalty for being wrong is a TRASHED engine since it is an interference engine. The cost of the engine replacement after the valves hit the pistons at cruise speed is half the price of the car.
Based on the age and how this car has been maintained are surmising that the timing belt has never been changed? I am almost certain that it has been done once.

I was more leaning towards knowing if it is time again to replace. I think it is coming to the time to replace for a second time based on age. Maybe I'm reading that wrong.
Old 09-20-17, 01:18 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Based on the age and how this car has been maintained are surmising that the timing belt has never been changed? I am almost certain that it has been done once.

I was more leaning towards knowing if it is time again to replace. I think it is coming to the time to replace for a second time based on age. Maybe I'm reading that wrong.
Obviously it's rather a rather archaic procedure, but usually when a timing belt is done by a dealer or an indie, a sticker is placed under the hood. If it's not there, then one has to wonder, why not...maybe it came off, maybe it just wasn't placed, etc., but I have observed on cars.com the sticker is often there when there's a pic of the motor...I have a theory that since there is speculation it can go 180k, people will push it if they aren't planning on driving the vehicle forever, ESPECIALLY the folks who do dealer service, since it tends to run $1800 at the dealer. I don't think that it's something that is deducted at trade in time, and in my own personal experience, Lexus dealers were willing to throw it into a sale, but others were not....

I would do it if I reasonably felt it hadn't been done. Or, don't do it and realize folks have in fact gone 120k without issue, and have speculated they could go 180k, or double the interval...it's a matter of comfort level...
Old 09-20-17, 03:58 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Let's go forward 5-10 years. Will this thread still be around? Will we be talking about $4000-6,000 for a really nice LS430 regardless of year? Hmmm. Possibly more due to increased New car prices.. Yes?
Old 09-21-17, 01:08 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 194 Posts

I bought a 04 430 a few months ago with a little over 20k miles on it. Nothing in the Lexus service history of the timing belt being done. I went ahead and changed it just for peace of mind. You are definitely risking a failure that will grenade your engine if you guess wrong. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a new engine.
Old 09-21-17, 05:53 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

The sticker comes with the kit...
Old 09-21-17, 12:01 PM
bloomwcjkl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bob04
I bought a 04 430 a few months ago with a little over 20k miles on it. Nothing in the Lexus service history of the timing belt being done. I went ahead and changed it just for peace of mind. You are definitely risking a failure that will grenade your engine if you guess wrong. Not cheap, but a lot cheaper than a new engine.
Got the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, idler, etc scheduled for next Wednesday. Called around to several smaller shops.

The one closest to my house was $900 all in including coolant, supplies, etc. Others were higher. I might try a couple other places, but I think that seems in the reasonable category based on what I've read.

Quick Reply: LS430 sales prices