LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

VSC and check engine lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-17, 09:51 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
The gas cap checked and it looks new. So I disconnected the battery for 2 minutes and the lights went out but returned after a 240 mile drive.
I suppose I will get the scanning done and see what codes it gives me. Thanks for the help.
How's that code scan coming?
Old 06-27-17, 10:18 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LS430inDE.
How's that code scan coming?
Have not scanned the car to retrieve the codes yet. The traction control is definitely not working ... the car can definitely chirp the tires from a start now lol
Still wondering when you use a paperclip and connect the two pin outs .... what exactly are you doing ? Just turning off the warning lights ?
Old 06-27-17, 10:51 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Stu
Have not scanned the car to retrieve the codes yet. The traction control is definitely not working ... the car can definitely chirp the tires from a start now lol
Still wondering when you use a paperclip and connect the two pin outs .... what exactly are you doing ? Just turning off the warning lights ?
Don't know the answer to that. I use an OBD2 scanner to clear a code. I've wondered the same thing..if it's clearing the same way as an OBD2, or some other manner. I don't know, but I've seen many threads here using the paperclip to jumpout and clear codes.
Old 06-29-17, 03:16 PM
Stu
Racer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...c-vsc-off.html
The above is a LONG thread that says to jump two pin outs to turn off the lights on my dash ( the ones pictured in the first post of this thread.)

I followed the thread exactly to tun off the dash lights .... but it did not work.
My car is a 2005 and I have noticed that other 2005 have tried and failed to get this to work while the 2003 and older owners have found this to work.

Any ideas on what I can do / try on a 2005 LS ?
Thanks
Old 06-29-17, 04:36 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by Stu
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...c-vsc-off.html
The above is a LONG thread that says to jump two pin outs to turn off the lights on my dash ( the ones pictured in the first post of this thread.)

I followed the thread exactly to tun off the dash lights .... but it did not work.
My car is a 2005 and I have noticed that other 2005 have tried and failed to get this to work while the 2003 and older owners have found this to work.

Any ideas on what I can do / try on a 2005 LS ?
Thanks
Looks like it just wasn't meant to be. lol. Feels like we've been through this conversation before? Take to auto parts store and have them scan it! They might also be able to CLEAR IT! (Otherwise, find a buddy who has an OBD2 scanner or buy one of the zillions available online, then you can tell US why the CEL was on!)
Old 06-29-17, 05:31 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) provides automated assistance to keep the vehicle stable. When the VSC warning light is on, all of these stability features are disabled.

If you don't care to know what is causing the VSC warning light to come on, and just want to reset the light, below is the complete procedure... Please note that the VSC warning light will return if the cause is not properly addressed.

The following users liked this post:
Stu (06-29-17)
Old 06-29-17, 06:34 PM
Stu
Racer

Thanks. I want the VSC to work so I will get this to someone who can scan the car and tell me whats wrong. I appreciate ALL the help. This place is awesome !
Old 07-13-17, 08:16 PM
Stu
Racer

got the codes read today ... not sure what they mean. The guy said there are two problems. The car is running and driving perfect.
He reset the car so the lights went out, but they turned back on after 30 minutes of driving ....
So ..... anyone know what these codes mean and what the cost to repair might be ?

Thanks
Old 07-13-17, 09:25 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu
got the codes read today ... not sure what they mean. The guy said there are two problems. The car is running and driving perfect.
He reset the car so the lights went out, but they turned back on after 30 minutes of driving ....
So ..... anyone know what these codes mean and what the cost to repair might be ?

Thanks
You have trouble in your catalytic system. These can be hard to diagnose at times. A good starting point is to read the information here.

What might be a clue is that both bank one and bank two are throwing a code. I'm wondering if you have an exhaust leak in the y-pipe???
Stu (07-14-17)
Old 07-14-17, 09:35 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by Gronemus
You have trouble in your catalytic system. These can be hard to diagnose at times. A good starting point is to read the information here.

What might be a clue is that both bank one and bank two are throwing a code. I'm wondering if you have an exhaust leak in the y-pipe???
Thanks for the link. Lots of good information to absorb.
I guess all the sensors on the car pick up problems quickly or can actually fail themselves ( wishful thinking ! ) I suppose I will take it in and get it checked and repaired. Cant stand the lights on the dashboard being on all the time .....
Old 08-06-17, 09:39 AM
Stu
Racer

Strangely I continue to drive with the VSC and Check Engine lights staying lit, as the car is driving fine.
I was wondering if anyone can explain to me why an issue causing a check engine light ( in my case an exhaust issue ) would turn off the vehicle stability system ? The VSC has nothing to do with the engine/exhaust, so why disable the VSC and make the vehicle less safe to drive ?
CamelKool (09-28-20)
Old 08-16-17, 10:17 AM
Stu
Racer

TIME FOR AN UPDATE
The first post in this thread shows my dashboard lights.... that are still on after 2 months. I tried the paperclip fix, and disconnecting the battery and these failed. I checked the gas cap and it looks new. Post 23 above shows the codes ... PO 430

I just went to an exhaust shop who put the car on a hoist and found a small leak after the O2 sensor and on top of one of the mufflers. He was 100% sure that these leaks are not causing the CEL and other lights on my dash. He said the only proper way to proceed is to leave the car, let it cool off and for them to troubleshoot the problem. It will cost a couple hundred bucks and afterwards he said he will know what the issue is and the cost of the repair.... . seems proper to me (from what little I know.)

The car has 130,000 miles and needs also needs a driver door lock actuator and a brake job and now this cat/exhaust/sensor problem .....

I booked an appointment for the end of this month with the mechanic I trust to do the trouble shoot and will report his findings. I hope its minor .... I do love the car and it has been great to me but at 12 years old I am wondering if perhaps now is a good time to sell it and get something newer. Its a shame nothing lasts forever.

Last edited by Stu; 08-26-17 at 09:38 AM. Reason: correcting cars milage
CamelKool (09-28-20)
Old 08-29-17, 12:19 PM
Stu
Racer

had an exhaust leak behind the 02 sensor and just in front of the heat shield. Got it welded up .... see if the CEL turns on again. Sure hope not.
CamelKool (09-28-20)
Old 02-07-18, 04:14 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Stu, sorry to dig up this old thread but I have a similar issue. Just a few days ago I could start to tell I had an exhaust leak. I have not had a chance to check it but today while I was driving I had the Check VSC light and Trac Off lights popped up on my dash.

What was the outcome of your issue?
Did your exhaust leak cause those codes on your car or did you find something else?

Thanks, Tom
Old 02-07-18, 10:26 PM
Stu
Racer

Originally Posted by TTBomB
Hi Stu, sorry to dig up this old thread but I have a similar issue. Just a few days ago I could start to tell I had an exhaust leak. I have not had a chance to check it but today while I was driving I had the Check VSC light and Trac Off lights popped up on my dash.

What was the outcome of your issue?
Did your exhaust leak cause those codes on your car or did you find something else?

Thanks, Tom
Tom, after the exhaust leak was welded and closed, I have not seen either a Check VSC or the Tack off light ..... my problem is gone !!!
The following 3 users liked this post by Stu:
aypues (07-03-22), CamelKool (09-28-20), wnyjazz (07-25-18)

Quick Reply: VSC and check engine lights