LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 08:24 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?

My '05 I just got has more slight cracks in the top of the steering wheel than I would like. I'm looking for a thread that will show me how to remove the steering wheel so that I can either have it possibly repaired or replaced. I've searched and can't find anything. I want to see if this is going to be more hassle than what it's worth.
Old 04-10-17, 04:51 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

I took a look as well and could not find anything. If nobody responds tonight, I'll look in the manual tomorrow morning at work and post what I find.
Perhaps RKW will post manual instructions. He's good about that...
Old 04-10-17, 07:10 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Cant say I have done it but, was looking into it a few years ago and found something. Pretty sure... turn the wheel so it's sideways, and I think there is a few screws behind it, remove the airbag (be careful, might suggest pulling the battery before playing here, as if it shorts, it could pop), Once you can get the airbag off, the rest should be fairly easy to follow (a few plugs and a bolt that holds the wheel on). .

Check youtube too, you would be shocked on all the DYIs for the 430..
Old 04-10-17, 07:40 PM
caverman
Instructor

I've been looking and haven't found anything specific for the LS430 yet. I have found several threads for other cars. I try to look at it tomorrow. My guess is to pull the covers off from around the column and I can probably find the 30mm torx screws to get the air bag out. Then disconnect any harness and remove the large nut. I'm still looking around some.
Old 04-10-17, 08:36 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Check out Post #7 of the link below for an exposed view of the steering wheel...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-light-on.html
Old 04-10-17, 08:54 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Here are some instructions from the repair manual...

Old 04-11-17, 06:28 AM
caverman
Instructor

Thanks!

That's the most info I've seen so far. I might give this a try tonight and if I do I'll try to snap some pics for others to see.
Old 04-11-17, 05:45 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
Thanks!

That's the most info I've seen so far. I might give this a try tonight and if I do I'll try to snap some pics for others to see.
Sorry off topic here. You like the Cypress Pearl? It took me time to adjust (old car was gold). Looks very different but it's a classy color. Briarwood was my first choice but impossible to find. Of course, any LS color is good
Old 04-11-17, 08:08 PM
caverman
Instructor

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
Sorry off topic here. You like the Cypress Pearl? It took me time to adjust (old car was gold). Looks very different but it's a classy color. Briarwood was my first choice but impossible to find. Of course, any LS color is good
It's not my first color choice but I like it well enough. I prefer the Silver Metallic like I had but then again that seems to be the main color I see on an 430. I've only had the Cypress Pearl a few days and have only driven it from the place I bought to my dad's shop. I've been working on small things like fixing the door locks and the steering wheel. I got one side of the door locks done and half way through the other side but will finish it up tomorrow. I also have to tighten up the console, restore the headlights, do a full detail, and then get it tinted, all which should be done by this weekend. I plan to start daily driving it with in a couple days.

Like you, I think it's going to take a little getting used to but it's not a bad color and actually at times under certain lighting conditions I really like the color. I think my interior is called cashmere as well but it looks to be the same color as my Silver LS which had Ash interior. I'm good with the interior color. I wanted a well kept car more than color (except for black) and I think I found it. Mine is a one owner with no accidents reported, it was maintained by a Lexus dealer with all the main stuff done within the last 15k miles like the timing belt, brakes, differential flush, and power steering flush.

Overall I'm happy with it right now, I'm just feverishly working to get all the small things done to it.
Old 04-11-17, 08:36 PM
caverman
Instructor

So, like I said, I'm posting some pics in hopes that it will help someone else out. Removing the steering wheel was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.
-Disconnect the negative on the battery. I heard to wait a few minutes as well as tap the brakes to get rid of the extra juice.
-Pop off the cover over the volumn controls on the left side.
-Pop off the cover that goes around the cruise control ****. These were both done by had and a little help from a plastic trim tool.
-Loosen the two size 30 torx screws. They don't come all the way out. TIP: the left side one is kind of buried in there. I was initially using a torx socket and it was too round. I would recommend finding a torx screwdriver.
-The airbag/horn pulls right off. If it doesn't then you didn't get the torx screws out.
-Unclip the lower harness, then the two on the back of the airbag, and then a plug at the top. The two on the airbag you pry up a locking mechanism and then pry off the plug.
-Then you just remove the (19mm I believe) nut in the center.
-I was able to grab my steering wheel and pull hard with a small whack of a rubber mallet from behind. No puller needed.
Attached Thumbnails Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?-20170411_180526.jpg   Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?-20170411_182302.jpg   Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?-20170411_174438.jpg   Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?-20170411_180905.jpg   Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?-20170411_181046.jpg  

Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?-20170411_181138.jpg   Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?-20170411_181206.jpg   Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?-20170411_175828.jpg  
The following 6 users liked this post by caverman:
chexus (11-02-21), Daspyda (04-12-17), DC777 (09-28-21), lovelexus3 (05-08-19), PNWLS430 (01-23-21), razvy (05-13-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-12-17, 02:23 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Glad things worked out. Pretty much any older used car has some stuff that needs to get taken care. I had to do subwoofer, trans flush, tires, etc. Still have a slightly noisy PS pump. Used to look back at my Gold 01 when I parked and think "hey nice car". It took awhile but I'm at that point with Cypress. Looks good when there's more light because color seems "brighter" and the metallic finish is a little more visible. Yeah we're talking about Cypress but all LS colors are good in different ways.
Old 05-11-19, 07:57 AM
lovelexus3
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am resuscitating this old thread as I looked to replace my steering wheel. The instructions were spot on and made it very easy. When I attempted to replace my steering wheel with another steering wheel of the same make and model LS, it did not work. The steering worked, but cruise control, volume buttons, etc., did not function.

Just wanted to alert if anyone else wanted to rid their "aging" steering wheel. I will either buy the stitching or consider the paint option.

**Edit- realized I broke the clock spring as I did not unplug a cord. The steering wheel works fine after replacing that piece!

Last edited by lovelexus3; 05-16-19 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 07:20 AM
daweeze02
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the write up. My grandmas LS430 had her wheel destroyed by a dog. $65 grade B junk yard wheel and 20 minutes later she is rocking!
Old 08-01-19, 09:07 AM
weldthedif
Advanced

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

I've got a JDM celsior wheel sitting on my garage going on this weekend hopefully, this thread will be very helpful
Old 09-28-21, 10:03 PM
DC777
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Excellent

Originally Posted by caverman
So, like I said, I'm posting some pics in hopes that it will help someone else out. Removing the steering wheel was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.
-Disconnect the negative on the battery. I heard to wait a few minutes as well as tap the brakes to get rid of the extra juice.
-Pop off the cover over the volumn controls on the left side.
-Pop off the cover that goes around the cruise control ****. These were both done by had and a little help from a plastic trim tool.
-Loosen the two size 30 torx screws. They don't come all the way out. TIP: the left side one is kind of buried in there. I was initially using a torx socket and it was too round. I would recommend finding a torx screwdriver.
-The airbag/horn pulls right off. If it doesn't then you didn't get the torx screws out.
-Unclip the lower harness, then the two on the back of the airbag, and then a plug at the top. The two on the airbag you pry up a locking mechanism and then pry off the plug.
-Then you just remove the (19mm I believe) nut in the center.
-I was able to grab my steering wheel and pull hard with a small whack of a rubber mallet from behind. No puller needed.

Thanks for posting. I’m looking to restore my steering wheel. The wood will be easy. Anyone know or tried to restore the vinyl/leather? Any advice?

Quick Reply: Any thread on how to remove steering wheel?