LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Latest Navigation Map Version

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 11:12 PM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Latest Navigation Map Version

I just wanted to confirm, in case I missed something here...is the latest navigation DVD from 2013? Doesn't seem like there are new versions released beyond that. Debating on whether I want to go aftermarket to make sure the maps are recent.
Old 03-12-17, 04:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Version 15.1 is the latest available for the 2004-06 LS430s. PN is 86271-GEN04-15

2001-03 cars use Version 13.1 PN 86271-GN23E-13

So, yeah, it looks like 2013 is the latest available.

Last edited by 2KHarrier; 03-12-17 at 05:00 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 08:57 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

$30 on Amazon. That's reasonable.
Old 03-13-17, 12:50 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

$7-9 on eBay.
Old 03-13-17, 08:48 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I just ordered the $9 e-bay Disc. If it doesn't work, no big deal.
Old 03-13-17, 09:09 PM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I bought v15 for my 06 via eBay and it does work but....

The update falls woefully short of "comprehensive coverage", at least in Texas. Once the new disk spools up you will be able to see the shaded areas that are covered. If you need to travel through an unshaded portion.... be aware that the directions may well be less than the shortest route. For example : from SPI Texas to New Orleans, the disk had a route than ran backwards up the Rio Grande until Hwy 10. About 450 miles off from any decent phone app like Scout or Google maps.

With some old fashioned way point setting I was able to make the onboard nav work for me but in reality, I just used it to show where I was at any given time. The GPS onboard is very good though.

​​​​​​​Doug k
Old 03-14-17, 04:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Many say the gps is of no use, use your phone or garmin etc. But, in all cars, I like to have the car's gps oriented north, i.e. like looking at a real map, while using the phone for gps. I got 15.1, put it in, no problems, kind of a pita in the trunk. But I have never once used it to navigate, tried, just too difficult and it couldn't even find my house for some reason, so once that happened I figured forget it. When I saw what this stuff looks like in a 2017, I said oh boy, I'm only human, you could even say mine is junk in comparison. I don't mind being outdated, but sometimes don't want to be that outdated! (I rather like how the new speedometers and tachometers are actually just screen real estate, not actual instruments, and the sharp resolution)
Old 03-14-17, 06:09 AM
ltd76gold
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Many say the gps is of no use, use your phone or garmin etc. But, in all cars, I like to have the car's gps oriented north, i.e. like looking at a real map, while using the phone for gps. I got 15.1, put it in, no problems, kind of a pita in the trunk. But I have never once used it to navigate, tried, just too difficult and it couldn't even find my house for some reason, so once that happened I figured forget it. When I saw what this stuff looks like in a 2017, I said oh boy, I'm only human, you could even say mine is junk in comparison. I don't mind being outdated, but sometimes don't want to be that outdated! (I rather like how the new speedometers and tachometers are actually just screen real estate, not actual instruments, and the sharp resolution)
I have found that the location of my car in relation to the map is better with the GPS onboard the car than using my phones GPS. The nav system in the car.... Well it is just old school. I was actually talking to it... Drive to Mccallen kind of thing, until I read up. 400 pages up. Laughed at it then. The rest of the vehicle is so up to date that it is hard to fathom the nav electronics are from 06.... Ancient in computer years.
​​​​​​​
Old 03-14-17, 06:45 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ltd76gold
I have found that the location of my car in relation to the map is better with the GPS onboard the car than using my phones GPS. The nav system in the car.... Well it is just old school. I was actually talking to it... Drive to Mccallen kind of thing, until I read up. 400 pages up. Laughed at it then. The rest of the vehicle is so up to date that it is hard to fathom the nav electronics are from 06.... Ancient in computer years.
​​​​​​​
Well yesterday we needed to get from Hartford to Philly, the day before a major snowstorm/blizzard, go figure, what bad timing to be sent up there to see a new project. Had my wife's AWD, not the LS. Only used her in dash GPS (2011) for a map display, turned the Garmin on through NYC for red light cams, but relied on google maps on the phone. I find google maps to be accurate for suggesting time saving routes, so it likely saved over 60 min. It routed us through the Merritt Parkway (never did that) and rather 87S Major Deegan, Saw Mill to the Henry Hudson. WE DID NOT HIT A SLOWDOWN UNTIL THE GW BRIDGE, yet there were multiple accidents on the regular route. NJ TPK was pretty da** bad, though. Hit the GW at exactly 17:00 EST....to me it's about time....otherwise I'm fine with outdated... And I'm serious, I do find it useful to see the map oriented northward. I've used the LS' factory nav to determine if I can cut a corner by using a cross street, and often must zoom in and out for that...

we might be saying the exact same thing LOL

edit some of the modern electronics are unnecessary, some are cool. My dad's new car comes with 3g of 4g lte data for free, over the built in hotspot. He doesn't need it. But maybe a 20-30 y.o. driver would use it all up in the first day? He does have a very cool autodim mirror though, frameless, reminds me of a 1950's Caddy.

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-14-17 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-14-17, 09:06 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Every year when Lexus does an update and a new version, you can go to myLexus and determine the precise changes being made in your area. If they're not usable, don't buy it. However, it will update available places by categories, and tht may be useful. I use my nave for directions to local areas that I am not familiar with. Never had a problem and quite useful. I don't do a lot of out of town traveling, but have never had a problem in getting to places such as CA Disneyland, San Diego, Albuquerque, Red River, New Mexico. I don't want to be tethered to hand held devices when I don't really need them. Just my old fashioned way and not needing the latest technology gadgets. No offense intended.
Old 03-14-17, 09:45 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I do this too in my parent's 430 and my Prius - gen4 and gen5 respectively and while Google Maps is much more modern looking and accurate(as far as points of interest and mapping data goes), I prefer the onboard navigation in map mode because it's a lot more accurate GPS-wise and I like seeing what is near me. Just like how new aircraft have glass cockpits but have an analog backup artificial horizon and altimeter.

If you think that's nuts, with a little Javascript knowledge, you can change how the "gauges" look in some cars *cough*Tesla*cough*.
Old 03-14-17, 10:39 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Every year when Lexus does an update and a new version, you can go to myLexus and determine the precise changes being made in your area. If they're not usable, don't buy it. However, it will update available places by categories, and tht may be useful. I use my nave for directions to local areas that I am not familiar with. Never had a problem and quite useful. I don't do a lot of out of town traveling, but have never had a problem in getting to places such as CA Disneyland, San Diego, Albuquerque, Red River, New Mexico. I don't want to be tethered to hand held devices when I don't really need them. Just my old fashioned way and not needing the latest technology gadgets. No offense intended.
Since our 2010 Garmin is a LMT with lifetime maps, every once in a while I update it (takes over an hour). I would always find it odd that a mall that was new in 2008 would still be missing, in 2013, so I get that it's hard to update everything, but it still begs the question. Never had such a problem with google maps. And the good thing is you can navigate from other apps, or avoid using addresses. Again, do I want a LS430 without nav? No, because I do want the touch screen. But time marches on, I find the screens in lesser 2017 cars quite amazing...
Old 03-14-17, 10:55 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

The main advantage gained by Google Maps or INRX is the ability to see current traffic flow and incidents such as accidents.

I had to reroute to a back road yesterday to avoid a major backup on I-4 on my way to Tampa. I would've been really late for my appt if I solely relied on "old" technology.
Old 03-16-17, 07:38 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Dam, under $10 ? I am going to jump at this even if I am thinking about selling my car soon.

Yea, I have a 2001 still but, my Navi box in my trunk has a 2006 one
Old 03-16-17, 11:50 PM
r0cketm0nk
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Dam, under $10 ? I am going to jump at this even if I am thinking about selling my car soon.

Yea, I have a 2001 still but, my Navi box in my trunk has a 2006 one
Mine still had the 2001 maps...and I purchased my 02 a few weeks ago lol

I tried the ebay discs. They're as good as OEM. Really, $10 is even maybe asking for too much, considering there are no unique keys, and the maps on the Gen 2/3 pretty much ended with the 2013 version. It's Toyota's way of telling you to man up and buy a new car...but screw that. I'll sooner mount a 2-DIN with beat-sonic's kit than get another one.

Quick Reply: Latest Navigation Map Version