LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

duplicate titles

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-17, 04:47 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Default duplicate titles

I've been looking for another car and some have many duplicate titles listed. one Carfax shows 9 duplicate titles on a one owner car and an auto check shows 10 duplicate titles on a 4 owner car. is this a concern? I am very leery of a car with that many titles floating around.
Old 03-01-17, 06:16 AM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Most likely dealer related, but still too high imo
Old 03-01-17, 08:24 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Each duplicate title supersedes the previous ones by nature of the date.

If you have an owner who routinely loses his title - maybe they are senior, who knows?
Old 03-01-17, 08:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Maybe it's like the Lexus Drivers website, anybody can grab anyone's car, as long as you have the VIN!
Old 03-01-17, 08:31 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Each duplicate title supersedes the previous ones by nature of the date.

If you have an owner who routinely loses his title - maybe they are senior, who knows?
I didn't know this, but you can only lose x number of SS cards in your lifetime (what do you need it for anyway). Also, if you lose your US Passport, DOS can choose to not reissue one.

Duplicate titles is a bit suspicious, but people do misplace things. To borrow someone else's words, I like people who don't misplace things lol
Old 03-01-17, 10:36 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Dealers here in Florida like to file a lost title certificate when taking in trades even when the owner has the title. I believe it saves them a fee. Happened to my girlfriend when she traded in her G35 for a new car last month,. Even though she had the title, they didn't want her to sign it and had her sign a lost title form (which I didn't approve). Dealers are on the lowest level of the Hierarchy pole right there with Lawyers. (No offense to any Lawyers out there)
Old 03-01-17, 10:50 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Dealers here in Florida like to file a lost title certificate when taking in trades even when the owner has the title. I believe it saves them a fee. Happened to my girlfriend when she traded in her G35 for a new car last month,. Even though she had the title, they didn't want her to sign it and had her sign a lost title form (which I didn't approve). Dealers are on the lowest level of the Hierarchy pole right there with Lawyers. (No offense to any Lawyers out there)
That doesn't sound right what they did. As far as being the lowest, I could have never even thought this one up.

When my LS430 was on cars.com, for the picture taking, they removed the brand new spare on brand new rim, armor all'd it so to speak, mounted it on the car, and had the car photographed. It even clearly has the dots on the SP5000, showing how new the tire is (original from 2005). When the picture taking was done, they put it back in the trunk and so the car has Rydanz Roadster 02's made in China!!!!!! That is low. Just to bust a little chops, I said so you guys use Rydanz tires here, huh? The used car mgr. said we didn't put those on, the previous owner did.
Old 03-01-17, 01:31 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
I've been looking for another car and some have many duplicate titles listed. one Carfax shows 9 duplicate titles on a one owner car and an auto check shows 10 duplicate titles on a 4 owner car. is this a concern? I am very leery of a car with that many titles floating around.
If the car is moved from one state to another by the same owner who is changing residence, a new title is required along with new driver's license. Multiple duplicate titles on a so-called "1-owner car" would raise a red flag. Typically though, the state won't change names on a request for a "duplicate" title (they may add a name for joint ownership) because a new name typically implies a sale of the vehicle and the state wants sales tax to be paid in that case.
Old 03-02-17, 06:25 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
The dealer does not incur any cost from tag and title work - it gets passed onto the customer. A dup title fee in FL is $75.25. She should check her Buyer's Order and contract for FL Registration Fees and subtract the amount shown on her registration. I bet the difference is more than the $75 - which would be pure profit to the store. Multiply that by the number of customers each year and that would be no small amount. The dealer used to "estimate" what the fees would be and then they would send you a check if it was less. Now, since - at least in FL - the registration process is in "real-time" (your Registration number is actually printed on your contract) that does not happen, anymore.

Sounds as if a class action suit is just waiting to happen.
Old 03-02-17, 06:29 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

The dealer does not incur any cost from tag and title work - it gets passed onto the customer..
My dad is old school, tells the dealer to remove the charges he'll get the tags himself. Even if there are charges pre-printed, he says to add it to the discount.

There is something to be said about how the older generation doesn't just pay things because someone says they have to. part of this ploy on the dealer side is because you want the car now, and can't wait for DMV if you handle it yourself. Like I've said, I did this on a new Porsche, and in that case, I physically held the MSO from Porsche Cars NA. That was the only time I have even seen a MSO.

I did tell the BMW dealer to remove the training and MACO charges, which they said everybody has to pay. Told them cancel the order then and give the allocation to somebody else. They removed. (how they get you is training and MACO is NOT on the sticker, but it IS on the invoice. So if you say I want $1000 over invoice, it would include).
Old 03-02-17, 04:15 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

The dealer does not incur any cost from tag and title work - it gets passed onto the customer. A dup title fee in FL is $75.25. She should check her Buyer's Order and contract for FL Registration Fees and subtract the amount shown on her registration. I bet the difference is more than the $75 - which would be pure profit to the store. Multiply that by the number of customers each year and that would be no small amount. The dealer used to "estimate" what the fees would be and then they would send you a check if it was less. Now, since - at least in FL - the registration process is in "real-time" (your Registration number is actually printed on your contract) that does not happen, anymore.

Sounds as if a class action suit is just waiting to happen.
The license plates were transfered from her trade in which just recently had the reg renewed. We have already started a paper trail with Infiniti Consumer affairs with regards to the title issues. Next will be Better Business Bureau.