LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-17, 08:00 PM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing belt question

ok I keep reading about the timing belt and water pump being done at 90k. You guys are talking 90k miles not kilometres right. My 2001 has 70k kilometres about 43k miles. The ****ty part about the Japanese car my manual is all in Japanese can't read any of it.
Old 02-08-17, 08:13 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

On a 2001 LS your timing belt and water pump is now approx 15-16 years old. It is Lexus recommendation to change belt at 90K miles or 7 years. Personally I think 7 years is way too conservative, but if my TB and water pump was more than 12 years old I'd have them changed out. I just bought a 2004 SC430 with 27 K miles and had the TB and WP done soon after purchase due to age of TB and not miles on the car.
Old 02-08-17, 08:39 PM
Bjamin75
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks exactly the information I was looking for. I will get the parts and get on it soon.
Old 02-09-17, 03:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I took my car to Lexus for a brake flush (I can't get over the $59 and wonder) and coolant drain. They told me your car is over 8 yrs. old and has no record of having the timing belt replaced, it should be done at 8 yrs. / 90k. So I wonder where they got this 8 yr. figure from. I googled it and have found others saying 8 yrs., and I found someone saying the online manual says 6 yrs. Why is Toyota imprecise like that? Anyhow, then you'll find lots of folks joking about it saying gosh I have 130k, guess I better do it. Then someone saying better leave it to the pros, another LS430 was next to mine needing a new motor because he took it to a garage and $22k. Then others saying I don't believe the $22k figure for a new motor. Lot's of myths floating around....

I guess the long story short is there's no doubt about the 90k recommendation. My car was 11 yrs. / 86,xxx miles, got it done last Friday, and all the parts look brand spanking new to me. That's from personally touching all the parts, not google. I don't think anybody here can find a single case of a motor being toasted on a 3UZ except that $22k motor being needed which imho sounded false. But as many have pointed out, it's totally peace of mind. Say an indie charges $800, or you DIY. This is so small in the big picture if you're keeping your car indefinitely. If you're flipping it, sure, I would say let it go. Look at audi, the 8 cyl. S4 which had chains, it's a $12,000 job. So $800 is a drop in the bucket...

What I've learned, is there's lots of stuff that needs fixing based on age, if you want your car to pass the so called multipoint inspection....but they did miss the tranny extension seal, which imho has the potential to cause trouble over the long run seeing as there's no dipstick....my .02....
Old 02-10-17, 01:30 PM
deweronick
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello all. Just signed up today, and I've been looking at the TB / WP change dialog.....I picked up my 2003 LS430 with ML sound and Nav (not a UL) last summer. It was a one owner CEO car. Has 225K miles. Its all original, and after the 60K lexus service, he used an independant for oil changes and routine maintenance. Garage kept and beautiful. But he has not had the waterpump, timing belt service done. I just confirmed this info with him. I am not seeing any weeping or any noise from the water pump. Is it safe to just wait until the water pump shows its in need of replacement? (as I saw recommended in another post) It still looks and drives quite "newish" if that make sense. Only thing I notice is a vibration from front brakes from high speed (he said he just had the brakes done, so I suspect they might not have been done "lexus ls430 right", as well as it not being as "soft" over larger bumps than I think it should be....So I'd like to invest in some suspension work before the spring, and I just wanted to get your take on the TB/WP. I have a feeling I'm going to hear that I should do the TB/WP because its 14 yrs old and has 225K miles , regardless of how well it runs/looks/sounds now. Thanks for any and all input.
Old 02-10-17, 03:17 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by deweronick
I have a feeling I'm going to hear that I should do the TB/WP because its 14 yrs old and has 225K miles , regardless of how well it runs/looks/sounds now. Thanks for any and all input.
First of all, welcome to the club, Dewer.

Ah, yeah, if that timing belt is truly that old, with that many miles, you may have set a world record for how long a timing belt has been in an LS430. Really the bigger concern would be the tensioner and rollers. They might have more play in them than they should have, which could spell disaster.
Yes, I would get that belt changed as quickly as you can. As well as the water pump.
Old 02-10-17, 03:44 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
First of all, welcome to the club, Dewer.

Ah, yeah, if that timing belt is truly that old, with that many miles, you may have set a world record for how long a timing belt has been in an LS430. Really the bigger concern would be the tensioner and rollers. They might have more play in them than they should have, which could spell disaster.
Yes, I would get that belt changed as quickly as you can. As well as the water pump.
Here is just another example of how robust our timing belts and possibly water pumps are. I have not read any posts of engine detonations from not replacing a timing belt. A water pump will leak and give enough time for replacement. Many here just follow the proper maintenance requirements for replacement which is fine, but some are over the top. Personally, I'm not concerned of age for a low mileage LS430 as these belts usually end up looking new. The comfort zone for each owner is what counts.
Old 02-10-17, 03:44 PM
deweronick
Driver School Candidate

Default Original Timing Belt/ Water Pump on 2003 LS430 (228K miles !!)

Thanks 2KHarrier....Yeah, I kind of figured. No sense going any longer. I'm ordering the Aisin water pump timing belt kit tonight. Will get new thermostat and hoses as well...Any other things I should do as long as we're in there? I plan on keeping her forever. I'm an LS 430 fan for life.
Old 02-10-17, 05:27 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Make sure to get a tensioner (one kit has it, the other does not), and probably a good idea to replace the serpentine belt...a Bando is like $20, pretty sure they make OEM as well....you can get the pink sllc2 approved Asian (Valvoline/Zerex) coolant at Walmart, $9 online, or $11 in the store, Toyota is like $26, comes in 50/50 only....
Old 02-10-17, 05:40 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
you can get the pink sllc2 approved Asian (Valvoline/Zerex) coolant at Walmart, $9 online, or $11 in the store, Toyota is like $26, comes in 50/50 only....
Toyota concentrate coolant gallon is available for $26.99 online free delivery.
Old 02-10-17, 05:51 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tom57
Toyota concentrate coolant gallon is available for $26.99 online free delivery.
Isn't that the "red" long life being available in 100%, vs. the sllc2 "pink," which is 50/50 only.....2005+ I believe use the pink....but I believe if you change it 2 yr/30k it probably doesn't matter, because isn't a 2004 identical to a 2006 in reality, regardless if they came with different coolant from the factory...then again I see what you mean, OP has a 2001 which is red...
Old 02-10-17, 05:59 PM
deweronick
Driver School Candidate

As far as coolant, I think in 2003 they started with red, , but I can't imagine it hasn't been switched out for the pink by now. i'll check tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-17, 06:32 PM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I would like to see a photo of a 225 thousand mile timing belt. at 90 thousand they often look new
Old 02-10-17, 07:08 PM
deweronick
Driver School Candidate

No Problem..I'm hoping to get it all done next week when it warms up a tad here in NY. But yeah, I'll save all the parts and take pics. Someone else said I might as well change out the plugs if I dont know when they were done last. Is there a no brainer as to what plugs are best for the ls430? Thanks Doug
Old 02-10-17, 07:40 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by deweronick
Someone else said I might as well change out the plugs if I dont know when they were done last.
Be very careful when working with the coil pack electrical connectors. Do not pull on the wires (yes, they will pull right out of their sockets), and the plastic connector latch is extremely brittle.
The following users liked this post:
deweronick (02-11-17)

Quick Reply: Timing belt question