LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

HELP.....Red Maintenance Light wont shut off

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 05:08 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP.....Red Maintenance Light wont shut off

Last year I posted this question and the fix worked, but now it doesn't. Perhaps someone has additional instructions as to how to get rid of the "red triangle maintenance required light".

Here are the original instructions, which no longer work..................

"Turn car on and make sure the trip odometer is not showing a or b. Set it so nothing is showing

Turn car off.

While holding the reset button turn car to the acc position, not actually starting the car, and hold for 5 seconds. This should reset the light. You should get your timing belt / water pump done soon. Stay on top of your oil changes too. If you maintain the vehicle it will last a very long time."

Thanks very much.
Old 12-28-16, 05:14 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

The best explanation to clear the red triangle (and to reset the engine oil change information when the message shows "Maint. Reqd.") is found on page 267 of the Owner's Manual. With the ignition "on" push the trip meter to show blank (neither A nor B trip info.). Turn ignition "off." Then, while pressing and holding the trip meter reset button, turn the ignition "on." Keep pressing and holding the reset button for longer than 5 seconds until the "mileage reset" appears on the display and a warning tone sounds. That's it.

Your explanation above says to turn to ACC position ... you have to turn it one click further to the "on" position (but not all the way to crank the starter).

Here's your other thread on the same topic > https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rything-2.html

Last edited by Tom57; 12-28-16 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 06:32 PM
djs123
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Red light maintenance

Thank you so much - I think it worked. Hope that red light doesn't come back in the morning. You'll all hear me screaming.
Appreciate your reply.
djs
Old 12-28-16, 07:30 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Great! Save the instructions as it will come on again after 5,000 miles driving distance. The red triangle light is a reminder to change the oil and filter, which I trust you (or your service technician) have done.
Old 01-30-17, 03:19 PM
wordwrkr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Tom57
The best explanation to clear the red triangle (and to reset the engine oil change information when the message shows "Maint. Reqd.") is found on page 267 of the Owner's Manual. With the ignition "on" push the trip meter to show blank (neither A nor B trip info.). Turn ignition "off." Then, while pressing and holding the trip meter reset button, turn the ignition "on." Keep pressing and holding the reset button for longer than 5 seconds until the "mileage reset" appears on the display and a warning tone sounds. That's it.

Your explanation above says to turn to ACC position ... you have to turn it one click further to the "on" position (but not all the way to crank the starter).

Here's your other thread on the same topic > https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...rything-2.html
Wow. That worked! Turning the ignition to only the ACC position, as stated in the original instructions, does not work. I just tried the procedure again, this time turning it to the On position, and bam! The red triangle is gone.

Another LS430 problem solved by my buddies at the Club Lexus Forums!
Old 01-30-17, 05:18 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by wordwrkr
Wow. That worked! Turning the ignition to only the ACC position, as stated in the original instructions, does not work. I just tried the procedure again, this time turning it to the On position, and bam! The red triangle is gone.

Another LS430 problem solved by my buddies at the Club Lexus Forums!
Everyone should have an owners manual and read it. Too many things in this car to just "figure it out". If you don't have an owners manual, you can get one by going to "mylexus.com", sign in an account by registering your VIN, and then request a free copy of the manual.