LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

changed plugs, now engine shaking!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 08:34 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry you had to go through such an ordeal to change spark plugs, DE. I appreciate that you posted the progress and shared your experience for the benefit of others on the forum. Also great to see the help from others and a happy ending. I can imagine the relief when the engine started up and was back to normal. What a weekend for you.
Old 11-13-16, 11:52 PM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad you found the problem! quite the macguyver fix too!
Old 11-14-16, 04:56 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Good to hear you got this fixed, it woulda bothered me too......I think it's a sign....you'll be getting a call about your season tix too!

btw what's at the other end of that "connector plug harness," meaning when you get a new harness, what does the opposite end look like? (not the coil side)
Old 11-14-16, 05:25 AM
ttomasic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a thought here, you mentioned lots of grease on the plugs and insulators? wondering if maybe that is creating a short to the engine block or something? From something I read online:
"Of all the parts in a spark plug, no part does more than the insulator. It not only has to efficiently perform a variety of functions, but it also has to have certain properties in order to do these jobs while withstanding the immense pressures, temperatures and vibrations of an engine. Its name describes one function. It must insulate the ignition voltage from the engine block. The insulator accomplishes this by its material and shape. Aluminum oxide and glassy additives are combined and shaped to produce an insulator with high electrical resistance. The ribs on the top portion of the insulator are also important. These molded ribs increase the distance between the terminal stud and plug shell. Thus, the resistance to leakage current is considerably improved."
Not sure at all if this is the case, but you never know. Good Luck!
Old 11-14-16, 10:37 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Glad you found the culprit. One of the age issues we come across is brittle connectors and the stresses when interacting with the harness.
Old 11-16-16, 05:18 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by ttomasic
As a thought here, you mentioned lots of grease on the plugs and insulators? wondering if maybe that is creating a short to the engine block or something? From something I read online:
"Of all the parts in a spark plug, no part does more than the insulator. It not only has to efficiently perform a variety of functions, but it also has to have certain properties in order to do these jobs while withstanding the immense pressures, temperatures and vibrations of an engine. Its name describes one function. It must insulate the ignition voltage from the engine block. The insulator accomplishes this by its material and shape. Aluminum oxide and glassy additives are combined and shaped to produce an insulator with high electrical resistance. The ribs on the top portion of the insulator are also important. These molded ribs increase the distance between the terminal stud and plug shell. Thus, the resistance to leakage current is considerably improved."
Not sure at all if this is the case, but you never know. Good Luck!
I agree 100% with your quote above regarding the ceramic insulator of a spark plug. However, I smeared a light coat of dielectric grease on the ceramic body of the spark plug. The dielectric grease is actually non-conductive, thus helping with the insulating . There are many 'types' of greases, but this is specially made to be non-conductive and to help prevent any high voltage (spark) going to ground and help prevent 'tracking'. If the spark goes to ground before going through your plug, you'll experience what I was feeling, a misfire or missing on a cylinder.

In my case, the misfire/missing I experienced was that 1 wire that I posted a picture of, that pulled out of the connector that goes to the Coil On Plug (COP). I ordered a 4-pack of replacement connectors with long pigtail wires that I will solder & heatshrink & make as a more permanent repair sometime in the future. A 4-pack is only about $12 on Amazon.

Last edited by LS430inDE.; 12-20-16 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-19-16, 09:01 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Well, the saga continues!

We took a 2 hour drive (all highway) to the beach this afternoon. It was smooth sailing and I averaged 23.1 mpg!

On the ride home this evening, I threw a CEL plus the CHECK VSC. This occurred while cruising about 65mph. The engine was still running smoothly. I pulled over to the shoulder and she idled smooth as ever.

Fortunately, I still had my OBD2 scanner in the car, from my previous experience on this thread!!! So, while on the shoulder, I scanned the code and it was the dreaded P0430 secondary bank efficiency! I was successful in erasing the code, but the scanner has the code as "pending", so after enough cycles, I'm sure I'll receive the P0430 code again.

So....now the question is....is the passenger side cat bad? I knew I could damage the cat if I continued to operate the car while it was 'missing' after I did the plugs, however, I only drove it for a couple minutes below 20mph when it was missing.

The other issue it could be is the infamous 'Y PIPE' corrosion/leak? I'm guessing (hoping) it's the exhaust Y pipe. My speculation is while the engine was running rough, it 'shook up' and vibrated the exhaust pipes, and was the final straw that broke the camel's back after 140k troublefree exhaust miles? There's no change in the volume/loudness of the exhaust.

I believe more accurate diagnosing can be achieved using the "live data" from my OBD2 scanner? My scanner does have that capability, so any suggestions on what to look for/scan for with the tool would be most appreciated.

Really sucks this (might be) the result of my changing the plugs and breaking a wire off the COP.
Old 11-20-16, 05:17 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Here's some basic information on the DTC P0430. Did you get any other DTC's with the P0430?

Old 11-20-16, 08:23 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

If you haven't installed your new COP female connectors and wires then I would be that is your culprit. Until I installed mine no amount of jerry rigging would work. Make sure to solder and used electrical shrink wrap tube when joining the wires.
Old 11-20-16, 08:54 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by tradosauru
If you haven't installed your new COP female connectors and wires then I would be that is your culprit. Until I installed mine no amount of jerry rigging would work. Make sure to solder and used electrical shrink wrap tube when joining the wires.
No. I haven't replaced the connector yet. I actually received them in the mail on Thursday, and they appear to be of nice quality. I'll post a pic soon of my before and after work, although it REALLY got cold & windy overnight in the mid-Atlantic DE/PA/NJ area. Might be too cold to work in the garage today. (lol.)

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Here's some basic information on the DTC P0430. Did you get any other DTC's with the P0430?
Hey! Doc RKW! (Love how you always have references to the technical DOCuments!!!) To answer your question, nope. I didn't receive any other codes.
Old 11-20-16, 10:57 AM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Default old plug pics

Attachment 399290Here's some pictures of my old plugs. They were Denso IK20 and had only ~60k miles on them. My new plugs I installed are NGK #4589 (IFR6T11).
Attached Thumbnails changed plugs, now engine shaking!-plugs1.jpg   changed plugs, now engine shaking!-plugs2.jpg   changed plugs, now engine shaking!-plugs3.jpg  
Old 11-20-16, 12:28 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Here's a pic of the wiring harness that goes to the COP. I picked these up (a 4-pack) for $14 on Amazon. The wires are about 4" long. The product is listed here.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I haven't yet to replaced the one I broke.

I ordered some heat shrink from Amazon and I should receive it in a couple days. The heat shrink is listed here... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How amazing is Amazon?!
Attached Thumbnails changed plugs, now engine shaking!-cop.jpg  
Old 11-20-16, 06:00 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

So good news and not so good news? I drove the LS on 4 separate occasions today. Each duration over 20 minutes in drive time. I had the scanner plugged in to the OBD2 port, and at various times during my trips, I had NO 'pending' codes at all. She is also clear of any Check Engine Light!

As I was playing around with the scan tool, I noticed an option for 'enhanced OBD2" codes. I selected that option. It then asked me if the vehicle make was a Lexus. I selected 'yes.'

What it revealed next was alarming. It showed 16 codes, ranging from "random misfire" to "bank 1 lean" to some sort of "mass airflow" trouble, and various other items.

I do NOT have any codes on the LS though. The scan tool does NOT show any 'pending' codes either.

I realize I still need to make a permanent fix for my COP connector, but why the heck is the scan tool showing those codes? I even erased them all, and 5 seconds later, they come back! I was thinking maybe I should disconnect the battery for a minute or 2 and see if that helps the situation, but if the scan tool is able to successfully erase the codes, and they come back, I doubt if disconnecting the battery will do anything for me.

FYI...the vehicle runs like normal, if not smoother!

Stay tuned I guess...
Old 12-20-16, 07:08 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Originally Posted by tradosauru
You are 100% correct. The codes kept coming back until I replaced the harness. I soldered the new harness onto the cutoff wires of the broken harness, & used double-heatshrink. I started the car and has been running great without any codes nor pending codes, for the several weeks since I made the repair permanent!
Old 12-20-16, 07:49 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds like a happy ending... Those enhanced codes that were stored may have been from previous hiccups that the computer picked up on? I haven't delved into my scanner that deeply to find anything like that...

Quick Reply: changed plugs, now engine shaking!