LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Full repaint...Again

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-16, 02:37 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Full repaint...Again

So in late 2013 the Lexus dealer spilled some chemical on my car when I had it in for service and they ended up having to respray the entire thing after first trying to polish and wet sand it out. It was a battle just getting them to do it. It took about a month - I had a loaner - and my car came back ok but with some orange peel. I've had it detailed once, last year, and it got swirl marks and wash marks right away, disappointingly. So another year has passed and I researched the best detail shop here in SD. I take it in on the other day to get rehabbed and they won't even work on it because the paint is not totally hard they said!! They showed me where they put their fingernail into the paint it and makes an indentation which means the auto body shop didn't use enough hardener in the paint mix. The owner said he could take my money and detail it and all, but once they wipe it off it will scratch again because the paint isn't totally hard...which is why it's all messed up if you look at it in the sun now. My friend's mom took her car there but she had the opposite problem - too much hardener - and it flaked off. Luckily it's through Penske and they offer a lifetime guarantee on their work, so I am going to be taking it back to be repainted, again. What a hassle!!!
Old 05-15-16, 05:08 PM
2KHarrier

Received 242 Likes on 200 Posts

Wow, quite the ordeal.. So, Lexus painted the car, and you had it repainted at the Penske place, or Penske painted the car for Lexus when the dealer messed it up??

I feel for ya..
Old 05-16-16, 01:21 AM
Norbecke
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was at lexus San Diego, it's owned by penske automotive group which is a large car dealer network in a bunch of different states.
Old 05-17-16, 10:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If I had a car at a dealer and they ruined the paint, they would have 2 choices, 1 send it to the factory to have it painted. 3 replace the car. Never can have a factory paint job more than once. And never can you get a good paint job in California. The paint in that state is the worse. Of course if its a bridge or navy ship that is to be painted there only the best paint is used. Not so for your stuff.
And to do a proper paint job it has to be done like on the TV show over hauling. The whole car comes apart, all glass is removed. If it isn't then you have cheapy masking lines and over spray, all nothing that a high end car should have, let alone inclusions and nibs in the paint.

Using water born paint is worse than using a can of krylon or rustoleum as a base coat. Water born is not catalyzed thus no hardener, and it does not stick good to primer or clear coat, and peals off easy in time.

Last edited by dicer; 05-17-16 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-22-16, 10:12 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
If I had a car at a dealer and they ruined the paint, they would have 2 choices, 1 send it to the factory to have it painted. 3 replace the car. Never can have a factory paint job more than once. And never can you get a good paint job in California. The paint in that state is the worse. Of course if its a bridge or navy ship that is to be painted there only the best paint is used. Not so for your stuff.
And to do a proper paint job it has to be done like on the TV show over hauling. The whole car comes apart, all glass is removed. If it isn't then you have cheapy masking lines and over spray, all nothing that a high end car should have, let alone inclusions and nibs in the paint.

Using water born paint is worse than using a can of krylon or rustoleum as a base coat. Water born is not catalyzed thus no hardener, and it does not stick good to primer or clear coat, and peals off easy in time.
you stand correct, a factory paint job can never be replicated, no matter what the cost is.
Old 05-22-16, 11:24 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
you stand correct, a factory paint job can never be replicated, no matter what the cost is.
I beg to differ, go look at something like a crazy over-restored Duesenburg and tell me that the factory paint on any Lexus is better.

Anyways, that sucks about your dealer ****ing up your paint. I think I would've just said **** it, give me book value plus some additional cash for the car and I will sign the title over to you. Its now your problem or you can go talk to my lawyer.
Old 05-23-16, 07:29 AM
PolishDude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I beg to differ, go look at something like a crazy over-restored Duesenburg and tell me that the factory paint on any Lexus is better.

Anyways, that sucks about your dealer ****ing up your paint. I think I would've just said **** it, give me book value plus some additional cash for the car and I will sign the title over to you. Its now your problem or you can go talk to my lawyer.
I agree, I've seen paint jobs where they literally took the car down to the frame....those paint jobs are stupid expensive but way better than a factory paint job