Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How to care for new paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 09:28 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default How to care for new paint

How to care for new paint vehicle in accident front part repainted picking it up next week any suggestions on care
Old 10-01-17, 05:43 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

New paint is no different than existing paint once it has cured.

The general rule of thumb is that you should not wax or seal fresh paint for 30-90 days (ask your body shop). After this initial curing phase, you may treat it the same as the rest of the car.
Old 10-01-17, 01:25 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Just soap and water
Old 10-01-17, 08:46 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Just soap and water
car soap, water, quality wash mitt, and towels. Wait 60 to 90 days for the paint to gas out before applying any sealant or waxes (unless the bodyshop tells you otherwise).
Old 10-11-17, 12:30 PM
livndlife
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
car soap, water, quality wash mitt, and towels. Wait 60 to 90 days for the paint to gas out before applying any sealant or waxes (unless the bodyshop tells you otherwise).
I spoke to a guy who owns a detailing company. He told me that the best way to clean your car (assuming your car is not very dirty) is to just use water-less hand spray. He indicated that the top reason you get swirl marks on your car is not from the washing but actually from the drying. I bought a concentrate from Auto Geek and started cleaning my car by just spraying it with the diluted concentrate and lots of micro fiber towels. So far so good.

Again, the key here is your car is not all gunked up with dirt and mud, etc. If it is indeed very dirty, he told me to perform a mild hose wash and do not do full power as the water jets can also scratch the car once it hits the dirt.
The following users liked this post:
Max707 (10-11-17)
Old 10-11-17, 03:20 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Thanks good advise
Old 10-11-17, 10:22 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by livndlife
I spoke to a guy who owns a detailing company. He told me that the best way to clean your car (assuming your car is not very dirty) is to just use water-less hand spray. He indicated that the top reason you get swirl marks on your car is not from the washing but actually from the drying. I bought a concentrate from Auto Geek and started cleaning my car by just spraying it with the diluted concentrate and lots of micro fiber towels. So far so good.

Again, the key here is your car is not all gunked up with dirt and mud, etc. If it is indeed very dirty, he told me to perform a mild hose wash and do not do full power as the water jets can also scratch the car once it hits the dirt.

Best is subjective, but I agree that a lot of the swirls happens in the drying process therefore it helps to use a drying aid, I just don't feel the surface is as slick with the soap or waterless concentrate. With the drying aid and towel it also helps pickup any dirt that you may have missed on the first step and flip to a new side as necessary. It also helps tremendously to use a distilled water mixture, especially in the sun.

You can blow your hands off even with the lowest jet setting from a consumer grade electric power washer you can find at your local Lower or Home Depot, believe me I almost lost my hand this way. As long as you keep some distance and some common sense you should not cause any damage to your car and/or yourself using a power washer.