LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 Sport Suspension technical review

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 04:30 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by jherr
Steering rack bushings are on the way. After all this I may have to do wheels and tires also...
Oh nice, must have missed that. I’m sure you were expecting this anyway but you will definitely need an alignment after installing the steering rack bushings.

What kind of wheels you have on her now? I’m partial to just the oem 18s. I think they’re the best compromise between sportiness and comfort
Old 05-05-19, 06:50 AM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I am very pleased with my factory air system on factory 18" wheels.
I love my air suspension. On the normal setting the car is very plush and comfy, it 'wakes up' when that switch is flipped to sport. I do believe the air struts were upgraded at some point by the factory. My car only has 1 original air strut from the factory. Three were replaced under warranty, both rears and right front. So all struts have differing mileage on them.
I really don't have a desire to change anything. The air system works for me. If I have a failure I will decide how to address it.
Old 05-05-19, 02:04 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Figured it was about time to do something about my wallowy suspension, so I ordered a bunch of stuff today. Figured I’d put it all in one place in case anybody is interested. Ipad is making it a bit tough to look pretty, but you get the idea.

From mylparts.com - discount code CL5 (-10%):

Note - sport components are for 2003, apparently not available in 2004 MY.

Rear sport sway bar 48812-50130 - $159.09

Rear sport sway bar bushings 48818-50020 - $39.04 (for 2)
What year and package is your LS? Can you measure your existing sway bar and compare the measurement with the new sway bar? Some years and packages already come with a sport bar, even without having the sport package. Others on this forum have changed out their OEM stabilizer bars with OEM sport bars, but did not verify if the new bar was exactly the same as what was replaced. It's only 1mm of thickness difference, you'll need to use calipers to verify, impossible to eyeball a 1mm difference.
Old 05-06-19, 06:38 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 723 Likes on 512 Posts

Did you research other rear sway bar upgrades? The sport bar is a waste of money compared to the Ultra Racing bar. You should return the sport bar and go with the UR bar since it is a big size increase over the non-sport bar while as the sport bar is only 1mm bigger than the non-sport.
Old 05-07-19, 12:58 PM
Ricklin
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Larger wheels

The LS 430 started off on 16 inch wheels, and 17 inch optional. 04 through 06 had the option of 18" wheels from the factory.
The heavier the tire and wheel package, the shorter the life of.your wheel bearings (hubs) I just did fronts on mine. 100 K on wheel bearings is not the Toyota I know.
I am dreading doing the rears. It's a very expensive fix at the dealer. Prolly over 2 k for the front. Cost me about 600 to DIY and 125 of.that was paying a shop to remove.the hub from the spindle and a tool I needed.

You need to
A. Be a wrench
B. Have a good trusted independent wrench.

I would not have purchased the car if I always had.to pay for dealer sevice. That free.coffee ain't free.
The following users liked this post:
LexRex (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 07:07 PM
jherr
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a base model 2004 with 17” rims. I may look at changing to 18s later. I like the 5 spoke rims better.

Last edited by jherr; 05-07-19 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-07-19, 07:09 PM
jherr
Rookie

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
What year and package is your LS? Can you measure your existing sway bar and compare the measurement with the new sway bar? Some years and packages already come with a sport bar, even without having the sport package. Others on this forum have changed out their OEM stabilizer bars with OEM sport bars, but did not verify if the new bar was exactly the same as what was replaced. It's only 1mm of thickness difference, you'll need to use calipers to verify, impossible to eyeball a 1mm difference.
I’ll measure the bar after I get it.
Old 05-07-19, 07:14 PM
jherr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Romanova
Did you research other rear sway bar upgrades? The sport bar is a waste of money compared to the Ultra Racing bar. You should return the sport bar and go with the UR bar since it is a big size increase over the non-sport bar while as the sport bar is only 1mm bigger than the non-sport.
Further back in the post someone mentioned that the sport bar is 18% stiffer than the non-sport, even though it is only 1 mm thicker. That’ll be enough for me to start. I had not heard of the bar you mentioned. Maybe I will look into it as a future option. Thanks.

Update - I see they have several parts available for the LS430, interesting.

Last edited by jherr; 05-07-19 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-08-19, 04:17 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I traded my 200 k miles 04 non sport for an 04 sport 60 k miles prolly 4 years ago now 200 k on sport. I Had the 04 sport a whole day like 70 miles. I was back and forth from mine to the other to notice a difference it wasn’t that easy. I like my sport better but watching all these mods to obtain what ya don’t have, seems like a lot of work for a minimal gain. Just me
Old 05-08-19, 07:18 PM
Romanova
Racer

Further back in the post someone mentioned that the sport bar is 18% stiffer than the non-sport, even though it is only 1 mm thicker. That’ll be enough for me to start. I had not heard of the bar you mentioned. Maybe I will look into it as a future option. Thanks.

Update - I see they have several parts available for the LS430, interesting.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-sway-bar.html

Please see my direct experience with the UR bar. They do make some other bits and pieces, pretty much the same stuff that Tom's offered for the JDM market, though I don't think any of it is really worth the money. I mean, the rear bar is worth it but everything else I would skip.
Old 05-16-19, 06:48 PM
jherr
Rookie

Anybody know any place that might actually stock the Tanabe springs? Apparently they aren’t made any more and I can’t find any place that has them?
Old 05-16-19, 07:24 PM
Romanova
Racer

Anybody know any place that might actually stock the Tanabe springs? Apparently they aren’t made any more and I can’t find any place that has them?
DF or NF? I see on eBay there are only two sets of DFs. A few months ago, there were many vendors selling both flavors. If you have a hard time, you can get them from YAJ, YAJ has many brands of lowering springs available... you'll pay a little bit in shipping but it wouldn't be terrible. LMK if I can be of assistance in your YAJ search. A quick check shows NF210s for $220 USD, probably be another $100 or so in shipping and fees. Greddy has UCF 30 springs. RS*R also has springs available over there.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/o306600355
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x508086799
Old 07-12-19, 02:20 PM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I've owned an 04 Sports for 3 years. Recently drove an 05 Non Sport which felt like a sofa. No feedback from the steering wheel. The Sports version is not "Bentley quiet" but it's a lot more fun to drive!
Old 08-11-19, 01:20 AM
Hawdong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oversteer
I had to travel for a few days so sorry for the slow response to all the questions. I'll see if I can answer a few:

As for the part numbers: Lexus supersceded the original part number for the later part number so I don't know if that causes any confusion. Most likely the strut that is triple the price is the one with the full shock cap and rubber inserts at the top. Those can be reused depending upon condition which is what I did. I am fairly certain that all 3rd gen LS without air shocks can use these struts and mine was on a 2004. I ordered exactly the part numbers I provided and got exactly what I wanted which was four bare struts.

Replace just the struts without springs?: Well keep in mind that you'll have to take the springs off the old struts to put them on the new struts and that is a major pain in the rear. I figured if I was going through the hassle of taking the springs off anyway I would go ahead and swap the springs with the new ones. If you decide you want to change springs later you'll have to go through the entire process all over again.

Why are they cheaper than the standard shocks? Good questions. Mine is not to wonder why I just saw that Lexus had changed the price so I took advantage of it!

Ride quality impact?: Well this is very subjective. I don't like the excessive body roll of the factory suspension for the US market so for me it was a huge improvement. It does mean you will feel the bumps and cracks in the road slightly more than your did before but having logged 12 hours driving on the highways in the last week, I'll take the more solid feel over the slightly stiffer ride all day long.

How many miles: I had 165K on my LS when I did the replacement. LS are famous for having shocks that last a LONG time and I'm certain the changes are much more to do with the sport valving than just the original shocks being worn out. The rebound valving was consistent in all four shocks I pulled off the car so I don't believe there is any chance the difference was simply fro wear. I've had several LS owners tell me they replaced shocks at 100K miles because they thought they thought that was their maximum life only to notice absolutely no difference in the ride afterwards.

DIY: I did it myself but it's not something I would recommend if you don't already have some experience wrenching on cars. It took me about 5 hours and one tip I would recommend is to leave the spring compressors on the front springs when you install the strut back in the car. The default length is just a little too long to fit into the lower control arm mount and after struggling to figure out how to get it back in, I popped the compressors back on and shortened it a half inch and it went in fine. The rest is pretty much like any other strut change and you will have to remove the entire rear seat and rear deck to get to the rear strut towers.

Picture - sorry for the poor lighting.
oversteer - I know it's been more than 3 years since your DIY on the struts, I'm doing mine now and I'm following the Lexus TIS repair manual where it calls for the separation of the rear axle carrier sub-assy from the upper control arm. This step caused the grease to leak out from the upper control arm (albeit, it appeared to be leaking even before the separation). Did you (or anyone else) encounter this issue? The Lexus repair manual mention nothing of this sort (yeah, it doesn't explain a lot of things actually). And since the upper control arm is "technically" not serviceable, according to Lexus, are we expected to replace this part whenever the strut is replaced? Should I bother putting more grease?

Pic taken after the separation but before the removal of the nut and the strut.

Pic taken after removal of the nut and the strut.
Old 08-11-19, 06:33 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by tallcaguy
I've owned an 04 Sports for 3 years. Recently drove an 05 Non Sport which felt like a sofa. No feedback from the steering wheel. The Sports version is not "Bentley quiet" but it's a lot more fun to drive!
That is a different opinion than mine. I rent cars for work, almost 2-3 per month. What you describe as no feedback from the steering wheel started with the 2012 BMW 3 Series and lasted until 2018. It exists today in nearly every Japanese car with the Mazda CX-5 being an exception. Compared to those cars, the 2006 LS430 steering is heavy. Compared to a 1998 Maxima, the 2006 LS430 steering is heavy. The LS430 is a sofa, it can't compare to a A8 or S550 at all. Never could. Never will. Which is why when we grow up, financially, we go to those cars. But it's interesting that you say the steering has no feedback, to me, it's the only characteristic of the LS430 that passes for handling. For pete's sake the skidpad is .73g, that's a 1970's number. what do you feel when you drive a modern Japanese car? Like the 2019 LS? If a LS430 has a steering feel of 70, and 2007 BMW 100, and a new Nissan Altima (200 miles on the odometer) of 10? lol I give the the LS500 about a 5.

This is all subjective, but the new LS has no feel whatsover, none, nada, zilch, but 5 on a scale of 0-100, an Altima 10, to my 2006 being 70.

The car co. who always had electric power steering right is Chevy. I think it's because they had it really early on. BMW didn't totally fix it on the new 3, but the 2012-2018 was a really long time to have no feel.

There are literally teens who are given a 2006-2010 BMW hand me down and feel the steering is broken. Now that is funny. Because they grow up driving the 2018 Camrys and Altimas of the world. You can literally turn the wheel from lock to lock at 0 mph with a pinkie. Literally.

Quick Reply: LS430 Sport Suspension technical review