LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: How long would the battery last parked at the airport, keyless entry left on?
A long weekend...3-4 days
6.67%
A full week...drop off Monday, come back Monday
6.67%
Two weeks should still be okay
33.33%
At least three weeks, maybe a month or more.
53.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

How long will you park car without starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 12:17 AM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How long will you park car without starting?

My wife and I like to travel. We just got back from a week long trip and found the battery on our 2005 LS430 was dead. I thought the battery should hold a charge longer even with the keyless entry left on so I just installed a new Interstate battery from Costco.

So, here is the question: If you need to leave your LS430 at the airport....and in your rush, you leave the remote keyless entry on... How long do you believe you should be able to park it and still have enough battery juice to start it when you return?
Old 11-03-15, 02:26 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I have gone over 30 days and it started right up. I travel all the time and have no issues even with smart key left on.

Are you sure you did not leave a map light on?
You may need to do a parasitic drain test. Your battery should last at least a few weeks.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-03-15 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 05:32 AM
02Legend
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I travel a lot for work and the average time I am gone is 2 weeks, if not more at a time. My current battery is just over 2 years old and I have been gone for almost a month at times and had no issues.
Old 11-03-15, 06:35 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I find that my car will not start up if I leave it for more than a month.
But I just usually disconnect the battery cable very time I plan on parking her for a long time without a start.
Old 11-03-15, 12:09 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Yep, it will drain. A newer battery might last longer than one that has a few hears on it. I find a couple of months on a new battery without starting will just about kill it. Guess I need to drive it more.
Old 11-03-15, 12:15 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Thanks guys. The previous owner installed an iphone USB adapter so you can plug in an iphone and see the menu on the display screen. I need to check for a parasitic draw. The car had a yellow top Optima battery that was only a year old. It should have lasted longer, that's for sure.
Old 11-03-15, 01:06 PM
smokey6010
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I leave my car for as much as 4 months at a time but always connect to a Battery Tender. Its not good to deep cycle an automotive battery. That really will shorten its life.
Old 11-03-15, 02:14 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by smokey6010
I leave my car for as much as 4 months at a time but always connect to a Battery Tender. Its not good to deep cycle an automotive battery. That really will shorten its life.
This is certainly the way to go for peace of mind, especially if you are not sure how your car will hold up after long layup. FYI....if you have never left your car for extended layups, just be aware that if you do come back to a dead battery, your battery is more than likely useless and you will need a new one due to the slow drain. The battery tender is the way to go to be assured it will be fine unless you are leaving it somewhere without juice.
Old 11-03-15, 07:30 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Well I did the parasitic drain test and found a constant 0.18A draw with the keyless entry on. Not sure what would be acceptable, but I figure this is too much. The previous owner installed a MediaBridge MB-1500-Toyota from Dice Electronics. No idea what the draw might be from this, but I notice my iphone shows it is charging when connected, even when radio and key are in off position.

To remove it, I have to pull the radio. My wife doesn't use it so it's only a power sucking accesory in our car.
Old 11-04-15, 06:48 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

How long the battery will last depends upon a few variables: alternator/regulator output, battery capacity and its condition, and any other "accessories" that may draw current when the car is off. In simple terms, think of the battery as a 1-gallon container. When fully charged, the container is full. The alternator refills the container when there is draw down out of the container. If the alternator (and internal voltage regulator) aren't operating to full (peak) capacity, the battery never gets fully filled. As batteries age, even a fully functioning alternator cannot fill the battery to full - the battery won't go through a fully charged cycle - like it's a 1/2 gallon container now. Batteries have different reserve capacities and cold cranking amps. Batteries made for the northern climates are also different than southern climate batteries. Heat saps battery life, and short trips don't fully charge the battery. A fully filled (charged) battery will last longer with a fractional amp drain (ex. Smart Access "on") than a battery that is less than fully filled.

My Mercury Metallic '06 (75K miles) will start after sitting for a month or more stored in the garage in winter with Smart Access left "on."
Old 11-04-15, 09:32 PM
Moikoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ejthomp
My wife and I like to travel. We just got back from a week long trip and found the battery on our 2005 LS430 was dead. I thought the battery should hold a charge longer even with the keyless entry left on so I just installed a new Interstate battery from Costco.

So, here is the question: If you need to leave your LS430 at the airport....and in your rush, you leave the remote keyless entry on... How long do you believe you should be able to park it and still have enough battery juice to start it when you return?
My 05 LS430 drained down a two month old Costco battery in three weeks.
Old 11-05-15, 01:41 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Moikoi
Was it completely dead? Were you able to save the battery after recharging or did you need a replacement?
PS. The survey with only 6 responses cannot really give a precise conclusion for how long our cars can be sitting before any battery draw will keep it from starting.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 11-05-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 04:36 PM
ejthomp
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Moikoi
Do you have anything installed that is non-OEM?

My 05 LS430 drained an 11 month old Optima Yellow Top in seven days. I definitely have a problem. I would think you might too, but not as bad.

I'm a Costco battery believer if for no reason than knowing I can return at any time. I will get this fixed, but should the battery get totally drained for some reason, I will have it replaced.
Old 11-08-15, 12:36 AM
Moikoi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Was it completely dead? Were you able to save the battery after recharging or did you need a replacement?
PS. The survey with only 6 responses cannot really give a precise conclusion for how long our cars can be sitting before any battery draw will keep it from starting.
Yes, it is running fine after recharging.
Old 11-08-15, 12:40 AM
Moikoi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ejthomp
Do you have anything installed that is non-OEM?

My 05 LS430 drained an 11 month old Optima Yellow Top in seven days. I definitely have a problem. I would think you might too, but not as bad.

I'm a Costco battery believer if for no reason than knowing I can return at any time. I will get this fixed, but should the battery get totally drained for some reason, I will have it replaced.
No, not that I know of. My smart key battery was dead would that have anything to do with it?..

Quick Reply: How long will you park car without starting?