LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Looking at an 01 listed on CL....anything wrong with these pix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 08:49 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Looking at an 01 listed on CL....anything wrong with these pix?

Just wanna know if anyone here can spot any issues from these listing photos

So far, I only see a missing clip on one of the plastic covers in the engine bay and the steering wheel appears to show cracking (maybe from sun damage?)

The plastic on the floors could be covering up stained carpet for all I know

I'll be checking it out next week and just wanna know what I should look out for
Old 07-11-15, 09:11 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Check the sunroof, if there's been a major accident it usually shows here. Check the seams and gaps of all body panels, they should be close and uniform. Front and rear end damage can show up as missing fasteners under the bumper areas. Look at painted bolts and nuts for signs/scuffs that they have been removed previously. Lexus paint jobs are superior and repaints often give themselves away with a slight orange peel look. Get the vin # and enter it at Lexus Drivers website for a dealer history of service, it probably won't be up to date on an older car but a solid history of the first part of it's life can set the stage. Speakers can go bad with age, turn it up! Check for outstanding recalls not completed. Look at the symmetry of the wheels in the wheel wells, equal space all around. Get an appointment with a shop familiar with Lexus for a mechanical inspection, a Lexus dealer is a good bet. Take the time to operate ALL the systems, bells and whistles. There are a lot of them. Looks nice from the photos.
Old 07-11-15, 09:26 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Thanks for all the good info

CarFax checks out (1 owner, no accidents listed)

Where exactly do I enter the VIN on the Lexus website for the service history?

The site linked me to a Toyota recall page to enter a VIN, but it just says there's no recalls or safety campaigns for this vehicle.
Old 07-11-15, 10:03 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Nevermind, Google'd it

Old 07-11-15, 11:48 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Autocheck is another site that could reveal accident info that carfax missed. Technically, any accident, even minor lowers the value but I'd only be concerned about big accidents. Good history for the first 50k miles. Hopefully the owner has further records. Is the asking price in line with book value?
Old 07-11-15, 08:01 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

AutoCheck looks clean as well

AutoCheck Results
Old 07-12-15, 04:03 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Interesting that this report shows three owners compared to what you say carfax shows. Certainly not an issue for a car of this age. Wonder why the last owner had it for such a short time? Red flag for me without a good explanation. Dealers don't title cars. This is a private buyer. It would be an easy bluff to say they flip cars as a hobby. Make sure you get a mechanical inspection. These are known as dependable cars, but...
Old 07-12-15, 07:46 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

CarFax says it was leased until ~49K miles, then sold at auction, but still lists it as a 1 owner car

CarFax Results

Perhaps CF doesn't consider the initial lease holder to be the first owner if it's financed through the dealer

It was sold at auction, driven ~100k miles, then titled at Deland Toyota earlier this year
Old 07-12-15, 08:02 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 98SNAKETR
CarFax says it was leased until ~49K miles, then sold at auction, but still lists it as a 1 owner car

CarFax Results

Perhaps CF doesn't consider the initial lease holder to be the first owner if it's financed through the dealer

It was sold at auction, driven ~100k miles, then titled at Deland Toyota earlier this year
But, Autocheck says sold at auction twice, that is three owners. I'm not sure. Which one to believe? Not an issue in my eyes. However, dealerships don't title a car bought at auction to the best of my knowledge. Maybe the third title is a mistake on Autocheck's part. If that's the case, then no red flags. I did check Deland Toyota's site, the car's not listed. Glad we talked about the possibilities. Well good luck and it seems like a nice car outside these questions.
As mentioned, they are generally more reliable than most brands, but can be expensive to repair. As a rule of thumb Lexus service is highest price, Toyota service usually has a few Lexus certified techs on staff for a lot less money and the cheapest is buy your own parts at a discount and DIY or go to an independent. Just stop by here to do a search and/or ask for input.
When are you going to check the car out? Keep us posted.

Last edited by swfla; 07-12-15 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-12-15, 08:16 AM
98SNAKETR
Driver

I'm still in NYC, but will be driving down to Florida sometime this week to check it out (along with a few others)
Old 07-12-15, 04:14 PM
bhanes92
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I believe this car is being sold In Sarasota, Florida. Is that Correct? The pictures look exactly like the pictures that I just referenced from that dealers website.

I was previously looking at this exact vehicle not two weeks ago, as well as a 2002 UL in Maroon on the same lot. (with 73k miles!) I ended up buying the 02 instead. You can't see it in these pictures, but all four tires have dry rot (at least, that's what my father who has lots of car experience tells me), and the rear right corner of the vehicle has been hit. The bumper is cracked, and has been sealed over with what looks like black-ish red epoxy. It looks like the impact damaged two of the parking-assist sensors as well, as they are also sealed with epoxy.

That said, my experience with this dealer with top notch, and I believe the car comes with a 30 day warranty. I did not test drive it, however, so I can't make any comments on the interior.
Old 07-12-15, 05:33 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Originally Posted by bhanes92
I believe this car is being sold In Sarasota, Florida. Is that Correct? The pictures look exactly like the pictures that I just referenced from that dealers website.

I was previously looking at this exact vehicle not two weeks ago, as well as a 2002 UL in Maroon on the same lot. (with 73k miles!) I ended up buying the 02 instead. You can't see it in these pictures, but all four tires have dry rot (at least, that's what my father who has lots of car experience tells me), and the rear right corner of the vehicle has been hit. The bumper is cracked, and has been sealed over with what looks like black-ish red epoxy. It looks like the impact damaged two of the parking-assist sensors as well, as they are also sealed with epoxy.

That said, my experience with this dealer with top notch, and I believe the car comes with a 30 day warranty. I did not test drive it, however, so I can't make any comments on the interior.

Yes, that's the one.

Sucks that it has damage

On the '02 you bought, were you able to haggle with them on the price?

If so, were you still able to keep the warranty?
Old 07-12-15, 05:45 PM
bhanes92
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The car I purchased was on consignment, but I was indeed able to haggle with them, they got the owner on the phone right then and they accepted my offer and I bought the car the same day. Overall, they were very nice people, not pushy at all, and they definitely seemed like they would have been willing to negotiate even if the car weren't on consignment.

edit: being on consignment, my car didn't come with a warranty, but a couple weeks in and I have no complaints. I've already fixed the couple small problems that the vehicle had on my own.
Old 07-13-15, 04:29 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Too bad about the bumper. The tires are easily replaceable, don't forget to check the age/condition of the spare and figure that into the offer. You can always swing by a body shop for a price on the bumper while getting the mechanical check up. If you're still interested. I wouldn't let that put me off if I liked everything else about the car. A corner bumper is minor damage as far as accidents go.
Old 07-17-15, 07:41 PM
98SNAKETR
Driver

Blake, thanks again for sending the photos.

I actually flew into Orlando early this morning and then drove down to Sarasota to have a look.

When I got there, it was raining, so the salesman threw me the key and said to let him know if I had any questions

As I was heading out to it, he said it was a one owner car, super clean with clean carfax and title.

You were spot on with the exterior details and I was quick to point them out hoping that it would give me some wiggle room on the price

One of the tires had bad curb rash and was completely flat

She started right up multiple times without issue, engine sounded quiet and felt smooth as glass

Interior looked very clean and everything seemed to work as they should except for the passenger side door lock actuator, rear sun screen (needed help or it would bind) and the radio controls didn't work from the dash, but worked fine from the rear seat console

Absolutely love the massaging seats btw (especially after a miserable flight)

So I'm sitting in the driver's seat, just getting a feel for things and waiting for the salesman to come out from the office and start talking cash when I noticed sumthin odd about the instrument cluster....

On the face of the tach just below the numbers 4 and 5, there was a slight discoloration

Thought it was just a glare from the sun at first, but the closer I looked, the more it became clear that the face had been painted

You had to really look at it at just the right angle to see it, but sure as $h!t, it was touched up to cover the trac light and check engine light

Confirmed it by just turning the key to the run position and didn't see said lights

Talk about sneaky

When I pointed it out to he salesman, he immediately distanced himself from the car stating that he was just selling it for another dealer as a favor

Needless to say, no deal was made

On my way back to Orlando, I checked out another Ultra in Tampa, but it was buried in the back of what looked a chop shop with plenty of missing parts under the hood and carpet that had mushrooms growing out of it

Oh well, just wasn't meant to be

Unfortunately, I need to take a car (any car) back home to NYC as I'm on a super tight schedule, so I'll be looking into a cheap beater

Quick Reply: Looking at an 01 listed on CL....anything wrong with these pix?