LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Noise from Center Front

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 07:57 PM
gebo
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Noise from Center Front

Just purchased an '05. Compared to my '98 it is "deathly" quiet. However, with it being so quiet overall, I hear this annoying wind (?) noise coming from what sounds like slightly in front of but on the outside in engine compartment area in front of the center console where the radio cluster is located. I thought it may just be tire noise but it's still there after getting new tires. Any suggestions?

Like I said, the car's so quiet otherwise....
Old 03-26-15, 09:26 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Congrats on the purchase.

Do you know if the windshield has been replaced?
Old 03-27-15, 03:53 AM
gebo
Advanced

It's original. Excellent point though.
Old 03-27-15, 06:03 AM
andys57
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check and see if the vents in the console are oscillating back and forth. There is a motor behind them that can get a little noisy over time. Found this out on my 05.
Old 03-27-15, 06:21 AM
gebo
Advanced

I'll check it out.
Old 06-06-15, 02:57 PM
gebo
Advanced

The noise is not related to engine RPM's. The noise is not related to AC being on or off. It's not related to fan speed. I can kill engine at 50 mph and it is still there. I have determined it is wind related and only gets noticeable around 40 and maxes out around 50 mph. How would you approach this to try and solve it? Stick some cardboard around the outer fire wall? Wait till dark and shine a light from the engine compartment and see if it shows up in the interior?
Old 06-06-15, 03:03 PM
gebo
Advanced

And it is not coming from the windows. It is right behind the center console towards to bottom half.
Old 06-06-15, 03:08 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by gebo
The noise is not related to engine RPM's. The noise is not related to AC being on or off. It's not related to fan speed. I can kill engine at 50 mph and it is still there. I have determined it is wind related and only gets noticeable around 40 and maxes out around 50 mph. How would you approach this to try and solve it? Stick some cardboard around the outer fire wall? Wait till dark and shine a light from the engine compartment and see if it shows up in the interior?
This is a great question gebo. I have a similar wind noise on my '06 from same location, but only occurs at +80 mph. Like you, I have isolated the problem to wind-caused noise - I have shut off the fan, etc. and still occasionally hear the noise above 80 mph, especially driving into or at slight angle to the wind. It sounds like a unique low-pitch wind instrument.
Old 06-06-15, 03:27 PM
gebo
Advanced

I'd be tickled pink if I only heard it at 80!
Old 06-06-15, 05:45 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Couple of things you can do. Treat all the rubber seals with Shin Etsu grease. Including the sunroof, trunk, and hood seals. Of course the door seals are most important for wind noise. Also, there is a gap at the side of the front windshield that can be filled and it will reduce wind noise at highway speeds. Had a few windshields replaced due to rock damage and my current aftermarket windshield is as quiet as the car can get. This is because I paid special attention to filling this gap at the top left and right edges of the windshield. Shin Etsu is really good stuff.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-06-15 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-07-15, 02:46 AM
gebo
Advanced

Lavrishevo, so even though my noise is coming from my center console where the radio is located ( I don't have NAV) it could be caused by the doors or windshield? I did use 303 on all the rubber in the doors and under the hood.
Old 06-07-15, 12:04 PM
jackies
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
this gap at the top left and right edges of the windshield
Just to clarify, is the gap on the top edge of the windshield, or along the left and right edges of the windshield? I also hear wind at higher speeds.
Old 06-07-15, 12:32 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The center console noise is probably related to plastic vibrating. This has been reported before and can be fixed with felt or similar. Might need to search for the threads.

The area on the windshield is at the top on both the left and right. Trim piece need to be removed to gain access. They snap in and out.
Old 06-07-15, 01:19 PM
gebo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The center console noise is probably related to plastic vibrating. This has been reported before and can be fixed with felt or similar. Might need to search for the threads.
As far as the plastic vibrating, are you talking about the plastic covers underneath the car and all the plastic covers in the top of the engine compartment?

By the way, I just ordered a tube of shin etsu.
Old 06-07-15, 02:11 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The vibrating plastic noise is normally around the center vents.

Quick Reply: Noise from Center Front