ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006-158/)
-   -   Noise from Center Front (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-3rd-gen-2001-2006/778812-noise-from-center-front.html)

gebo 03-26-15 07:57 PM

Noise from Center Front

Just purchased an '05. Compared to my '98 it is "deathly" quiet. However, with it being so quiet overall, I hear this annoying wind (?) noise coming from what sounds like slightly in front of but on the outside in engine compartment area in front of the center console where the radio cluster is located. I thought it may just be tire noise but it's still there after getting new tires. Any suggestions?

Like I said, the car's so quiet otherwise....

KING 03-26-15 09:26 PM

Congrats on the purchase.

Do you know if the windshield has been replaced?

gebo 03-27-15 03:53 AM

It's original. Excellent point though.

andys57 03-27-15 06:03 AM

Check and see if the vents in the console are oscillating back and forth. There is a motor behind them that can get a little noisy over time. Found this out on my 05.

gebo 03-27-15 06:21 AM

I'll check it out.

gebo 06-06-15 02:57 PM

The noise is not related to engine RPM's. The noise is not related to AC being on or off. It's not related to fan speed. I can kill engine at 50 mph and it is still there. I have determined it is wind related and only gets noticeable around 40 and maxes out around 50 mph. How would you approach this to try and solve it? Stick some cardboard around the outer fire wall? Wait till dark and shine a light from the engine compartment and see if it shows up in the interior?

gebo 06-06-15 03:03 PM

And it is not coming from the windows. It is right behind the center console towards to bottom half.

Tom57 06-06-15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by gebo (Post 9066953)
The noise is not related to engine RPM's. The noise is not related to AC being on or off. It's not related to fan speed. I can kill engine at 50 mph and it is still there. I have determined it is wind related and only gets noticeable around 40 and maxes out around 50 mph. How would you approach this to try and solve it? Stick some cardboard around the outer fire wall? Wait till dark and shine a light from the engine compartment and see if it shows up in the interior?

This is a great question gebo. I have a similar wind noise on my '06 from same location, but only occurs at +80 mph. Like you, I have isolated the problem to wind-caused noise - I have shut off the fan, etc. and still occasionally hear the noise above 80 mph, especially driving into or at slight angle to the wind. It sounds like a unique low-pitch wind instrument.

gebo 06-06-15 03:27 PM

;)I'd be tickled pink if I only heard it at 80!

Lavrishevo 06-06-15 05:45 PM

Couple of things you can do. Treat all the rubber seals with Shin Etsu grease. Including the sunroof, trunk, and hood seals. Of course the door seals are most important for wind noise. Also, there is a gap at the side of the front windshield that can be filled and it will reduce wind noise at highway speeds. Had a few windshields replaced due to rock damage and my current aftermarket windshield is as quiet as the car can get. This is because I paid special attention to filling this gap at the top left and right edges of the windshield. Shin Etsu is really good stuff. :thumbup:

gebo 06-07-15 02:46 AM

Lavrishevo, so even though my noise is coming from my center console where the radio is located ( I don't have NAV) it could be caused by the doors or windshield? I did use 303 on all the rubber in the doors and under the hood.

jackies 06-07-15 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo (Post 9067045)
this gap at the top left and right edges of the windshield :thumbup:

Just to clarify, is the gap on the top edge of the windshield, or along the left and right edges of the windshield? I also hear wind at higher speeds.

Lavrishevo 06-07-15 12:32 PM

The center console noise is probably related to plastic vibrating. This has been reported before and can be fixed with felt or similar. Might need to search for the threads.

The area on the windshield is at the top on both the left and right. Trim piece need to be removed to gain access. They snap in and out.

gebo 06-07-15 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo (Post 9067673)
The center console noise is probably related to plastic vibrating. This has been reported before and can be fixed with felt or similar. Might need to search for the threads.

As far as the plastic vibrating, are you talking about the plastic covers underneath the car and all the plastic covers in the top of the engine compartment?

By the way, I just ordered a tube of shin etsu.

Lavrishevo 06-07-15 02:11 PM

The vibrating plastic noise is normally around the center vents.