LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 - Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 08:18 AM
OfenLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile LS430 - Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires

After some research on the Lexus forum and general Google searches, I decided to purchase
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires on my 2005 LS430 (Grand Touring All-Season) from Tirerack.com (January, 2015). I also considered the Continential PureContact with EcoPlus Technology (Grand Touring All-Season) tires.

Both were highly recommended by Tirerack.com. I went for the P7 given the high rating for smooth highway driving. I have had these tires for several months - very pleased so far:

- I drive a lot on the PA Turnpike; very good freeway tire
- Did okay on snow (if a few inches; any more than that, I do not take this rear-wheel drive car out)
- Braking is very good - had to brake hard several times and these really seemed to grab the road
- These are low roll resistance tires, so at first they felt "a little wooden" but that faded within a week
- I am probably getting better gas mileage, but I have not tracked this

The car came with Cooper CS4 Touring tires, that kept losing air (probably due to "rim-rot")
The Cooper tires still had 4 to 5/32 of tread, but I wanted to get a better tire and not remount (due to losing air) to replace them in a few months.

Hope this helps you with your tire decision!
I will try to post again in a year or two with an update on how well they are wearing.

Last edited by OfenLexus; 03-10-15 at 08:47 AM. Reason: car is LS430, not LS400
Old 03-10-15, 12:10 PM
lightner27
Driver School Candidate

I have the cooper CS5 Ultras and I feel like they're a little loud and have poor ride quality. I'm located in Carlisle, PA and I drive apple country on most days.
Old 03-10-15, 12:32 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm due for new tires shortly and finding it very hard to decide which direction to go. Seems most people are die hard Michelin fans on our cars but after reading many reviews I agree the Pirelli cinturato p7s looked tempting. I live in maryland so looking for a good all season that will be ok in winter snow/ice but also good dry weather performance. Our cars are heavy tanks so a good tire is crucial. I'm coming off the Dunlop 5000s that come from factory on our cars.
Old 03-10-15, 06:56 PM
tomgadgets
Driver School Candidate

The P7 seems to have pretty bad wet traction, can anyone verify or disprove? I have been looking at the P7 as it seems like one of the best tires for our high profile 16 inch tires, but worried about driving in the rain and have unpredictable handling.
Old 03-12-15, 08:18 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey hey hey....welcome to the club! I have had the P7 plus' for 2k miles now and I am very pleased with them. They are as advertised......smooth...quiet....and coast very well w low roll resistance. I keep my air pressure at 32 and 34 and the car handles very well with the Pirellis.

If u would like to see a 15 page discussion on the Pirelli P7 plus vs many other tires...see my thread titled......" decided to go with Pirelli P7s for my LS430 "

No doubt this tire should make your short list when shopping for your LS430

Original poster ofensend........what tire pressure are u running?
Old 03-13-15, 07:17 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Another P7 tire thread. LOL...
Old 03-13-15, 08:41 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The best touring / all season tire, in my opinion, is the V rated Michelin Premier A/S. MXV4's are a close second. There is a reason why Consumer Reports puts Michelin at the very top of their ratings. I won't go back to another brand on my LS at this point. Really the best tire out there. When it comes to tires you really do get what you pay for. Spend a little more on the Michelin's. They will last longer and perform better through their life cycle.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ears/index.htm
Old 03-13-15, 07:19 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Lavrishevo........I am not a member of Consumer Reports.........I read the Consumer Report article that u attached........I think others should read it to.......there are some surprises in that article that u didnt mention about your tire. Can u please post the Consumer Reports All Season Tire rankings.........I think u are correct about Michelin ranking high.... arent the Premiers AS ranked number 1 .....and what were the Pirelli P7 Plus ranked? And the MXV4?

To the original poster about your thread and your new tires. Did you know that there are over 330 reviews on the P7 plus tire on Tire Rack.com from all different types of vehicles.....and with the exception of one person.......EVERY SINGLE REVIEW WAS POSITIVE ABOUT THE P7 PLUS

Can anyone.......anyone....show me a tire, with any swatch of 330 reviews in a row, that gets anywhere near such positive remarks???
Old 03-13-15, 07:43 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

OH MY GOODNESS.......so I took the time to search and find the one negative review out of 330 in a row of the Pirelli P7 PLUS......took me a while but I found it.........HILARIOUS!!!!
Here it is..........just some guy who doesnt know how to use his computer on the Tire Rack ranking system.......I guess he thought if he gave the tire a 1.....that would be the best......see review below

" theses tire greatly improved ride, noise and handling "

If I understand it correctly the Michelin Premier AS has 69 reviews so far.......please take the time to read those reviews

My point is for everyone to keep an open mind..........buy whatever tire u want.......make an educated decision.......Read reviews from actual people using the tire in the real world.......
Old 03-13-15, 11:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Here is another link if you want to look at it. Kind of beating the dead horse now. The P7's are rated number 4 on the list. The previous version, the P6's, were pretty poorly rated while the MXV4's have been highly rated for years. The real test of time will be 30k+ miles from now.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ires/index.htm
Attached Thumbnails LS430 - Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires-cr.jpg  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 03-14-15 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 08:09 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Cmon.......Do u want to compare MXV4 vs P7s or Premier AS vs P7? Now you are reaching for the P6???? We can talk about the Michelin energy if you want. Lets stay on track here. Your best stance would be the Premier AS ...which is your current tire.......vs The P7 plus..........The Consumer Reports that u posted is not what I asked for....it is so old that the Premiers are not even on the list. I dont want to bash a great tire but u almost force me to state the truth. So first I will beat the dead horse and say for the 20th time.....the MXV4 were a great tire on heavy sedans ex LS430.....many happy LS430 owners. That being said...across the board with actual drivers in real world conditions in all types of cars the MXV4 got very mixed reviews....One person would love it...the next person hated it......bottom line is it was a great tire for the LS430 which is what we all drive.

Now the Premier AS is doing very well.....for the most part out of 69 reviews from actual people in the real world the reviews have been pretty good......not great......but good for the most part. I would buy them.

The Pirelli P7 plus has 330 positive reviews in a row.....period...............

Lavrishevo........why is it that you come on Pirelli threads and say that no contest Michelins are the best?.......Why dont you just start a Michelin thread? There arent that many Michelin Premier threads......start one.......... .thats the place to say how great the Premiers are
Old 03-14-15, 10:45 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Its not very nice for you guys to take over a thread and start rehashing stuff from the other posted P7 thread... Enough! Both are fine tires and get over it. LOL...

I do agree though, a comparable test at 30K miles would be great to see.
Old 03-14-15, 11:17 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

your right...this is ridiculous..........I will chill out......
Old 03-14-15, 11:38 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jpv7774
your right...this is ridiculous..........I will chill out......
You are a nice boy. LOL...
Old 03-15-15, 06:27 AM
cgascho
Driver School Candidate

Default 2012

Sooooo, what's the overall consensus? I have a 2012 LS460 AWD that needs a new set...I am a member of CR and see the MXV4's rated at the top and the Pirelli's not far below. I am interested in quiet & smooth...I would also llike to get 50,000+ miles out of them.

I'd love to hear from someone who has tried both sets...H rated, BTW. I'm not a racer. :-)

Last edited by cgascho; 03-15-15 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: LS430 - Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires