LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Heated Seat Goofiness

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 08:01 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Heated Seat Goofiness

So the heat function of my ('06 LS430 ML) driver's seat is blowing out cool air instead of heat. The back of the seat still heats just fine. And the ventilating setting functions fine for both the seat and back. It's just the seat heat that gets goofy.

Thinking the process would be the same as with my Gen 1 SC400, I was seriously considering just replacing the heating coil. Until I did some digging here on the forum and discovered that the coil doesn't appear to be sold seperately.

First: Has anyone else had this happen with their heated seat?

Second: has anyone ever replaced the coil?

PS. I'm likely going to put some new padding in the seat cushion as well while I'm in there (or just have all this work done by someone else).
Old 02-19-15, 08:17 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I have not experienced any issues with my seat heaters. I do want to do my bottom cushion as well one of these days. Keep us updated.
Old 02-24-15, 05:27 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

I'm ordering a new seat heater coil, and will likely have the cushion either replaced or built-up too. I am concerned, however, about how much more slowly the seat may heat up after adding more cushion. My daily commute is only 6 miles, and it'd be nice to benefit from that heat before I have to go into work. As it is now, I really don't feel it until I'm 2/3 of the way to work. And these recent sub-zero Michigan days aren't helping any at all.

Has anyone ever had to replace their seat heater coil (the bottom one)? Is the coil positioned below or above the top cushion? If it's not already on the top layer, I'm thinking about just having my upholstery guy install it up there instead of below, so I can get instant heat. Or at the very least, put just a very thin layer of cushion between the coil and leather. Anything to make the seat heat up more quickly.

Thoughts?
Old 02-24-15, 06:33 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

My seats are in mint condition and the filters are new but it does take around 10 minutes for me to feel any heat out of the seat heaters. After 15 minutes my whole seat gets warm. I think it just takes time for these heaters to really produce any substantial warmth.
Old 02-24-15, 07:08 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XJSFan
... I think it just takes time for these heaters to really produce any substantial warmth.
Yes, but that could very likely be due to the coils being located below a substantial amount of cushion. Which, from what I saw in the parts diagram of the seat, looks to be the case. If so, then repositioning them to just beneath the leather should drastically reduce the time it takes to feel the heat.

I'll definitely post the results after getting my seat work done.

Last edited by SuperCoupe400; 02-24-15 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-24-15, 07:49 AM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My seats heat up pretty quick. Id say they are substantially hot within 5 minutes.
Old 02-24-15, 09:56 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

The temp between CA and WI is quite different. I am sure ambient temperature plays a role in how long it takes for the seats to get warm.
Old 02-24-15, 12:29 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The temp between CA and WI is quite different. I am sure ambient temperature plays a role in how long it takes for the seats to get warm.
I would have to agree with you. LOL... Cold as heck up here. LOL.
Old 02-25-15, 05:06 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Strangest thing... My seat heater seems to be working now.

When I flew down to buy the car in Tampa a month ago and tested the seat heaters, that's when it blew cold air out of the seat while heating up the back. I figured I'd be able to get it fixed under my Lexus Care extended warranty. They told me I'd have to wait until 30 days after purchase. So I just toughed out the sub-zero temps here in Michigan during that time, never once turning the seat heater back on, because I didn't want to get blasted with more cold air from below.

Turns out my warranty didn't cover the seat heaters after all, but there were nearly $3,000 worth of other items that were covered. Picked the car up yesterday and on my way home I feel heat coming from the seat. It had been left on by the service tech.

Is it possible that (due to this being a Florida car where the seat heaters were likely never used) that the coil just didn't want to respond to the first couple of attempts? Because now it seems to be working fine every time.

Now I wish I hadn't waited 30 days before trying it out again.
Old 02-25-15, 05:14 PM
Jdmdrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I would have to agree with you. LOL... Cold as heck up here. LOL.
LOL! Didnt even read that you were from East Coast. Yea.. we are super spoiled with our weather in SF.