LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Loose Tilt Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-15, 08:03 AM
Bucketlist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Tilt Steering Wheel

I have read several of the very detailed posts on replacing failed motors. However, I still cannot figure out after looking at the pictures and reading very well written posts what the exact problem with my tilt steering wheel column.

I have a 2004 LS 430 UL with 138,000 miles. The tilt and telescopic motors still sound and work perfectly.

The problem is that i when i hold the steering wheel it has excessive play in the tilt column assembly. When grabbing the steering wheel i can move it side to side as if the steering wheel mounting nut was loose. I also feel a quick wobble in the steering wheel when driving over harsh surfaces and i posted about this issue in the Air Strut post, and the consensus from the group is that i likely have weak air struts. But i am guessing that the steering excessive steering wheel play is a result of worn components in the tilt column assembly. The movement is only visible in the steering wheel and not in the plastic trim cowling on the column, So the excessive play movement is originating from one of the million different components that i see in the parts schematics. Crap this column is complicated!!!

Here is my theory on what caused this issue or at least accelerated the wearing of the failing component. When i get in and out of the car, i almost always grab the steering wheel and either push or pull on the steering wheel to get my body into the seat. And i am not a small guy. I suspect that me using the steering wheel as a grab bar with my weight and force as caused one of the part( s) to fail.

Does Anyone have any ideas on what the most likely failing part is?
Old 01-15-15, 02:16 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

The motors are mounted into the column with hex head bolts (think Allan key) IIR it was a 6 or 7 mm wrench. I'm guessing that one or both of those motors are loose and need to be tightened up. When I fixed my tilt motor a few weeks ago, I reinstalled it loose, to verify it worked, and it had slight play in the vertical axis. Once I tightened up the Allen bolts, it was fine, and still is...

Maybe??
Old 02-27-15, 06:57 PM
Bucketlist
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tilt steering Wheel Fixed!

My loose steering wheel has been diagnosed and repaired. There are 4 metal bushings that surround the steering shaft and are mounted in the steel tube assembly. These bushings were completely worn out and caused the slop in the steering wheel. Once replaced the steering wheel and column are completely tight and feels like a new car. The 4 bushings cost me a total of $10 and an independent shop only charged me 1 hour of labor!!! The part number on the bushings is 90389-08124. These bushings are clearly shown on the parts schematics.
Old 02-27-15, 07:34 PM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Hmm... Interesting...
Old 02-28-15, 09:22 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if these are worn on just about any car with a lot of miles/age. Such a cheap part and easy to replace, would be worth it for even a very minor gain of new-car-feel