LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-14, 03:48 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

The attached TSIB is also a good source of reference which describes how to get to the telescopic motor. For my 2004, I disconnected the negative battery cable before removing the 4 bolts holding the knee airbag, and I just stood the airbag off to the side out of the way. I didn't disconnect the airbag harness as suggested in Step 7 of the TSIB. Another point worth noting is the telescopic motor has a definite range, in other words, when you move and hold the 4-way switch to the "extend" position, the motor will turn for a few seconds and then stops at the end of its range; likewise, when you move and hold the 4-way switch to the "retract" position, the motor will turn in the opposition direction for a few seconds and then stops at the opposite end. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell where within that range the motor was shipped. Refer to Step 10 of the TSIB, be sure to disconnect the "Telescopic Steering Slider Support" before you exercise/actuate the motor for the first time. With the "slider support" disconnected, move the 4-way switch to the "extend" position (towards you) until the motor stops - this corresponds to the "fully extended" position. Then manually pull the steering wheel towards you until it's fully extended. Then turn the telescopic nut/brushing so that the "slider support" lines up with the steering slider mounting bolt holes, and attach the "slider support" to the steering slider. Lastly, use the 4-way switch to exercise/actuate the motor to confirm that the steering slider can telescope the full range.

This DIY is getting better by the day. Hat's off to xtr3me for starting it, and jpv7774 and others who shared their valuable hands-on experience.
Attached Files

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-04-14 at 03:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DC777 (12-06-21)
Old 10-04-14, 01:06 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Yikes.........

Exercise the motor!!!! I wish I had read that first....

As stated in my previous post......i installed my new motor........and today installed the new bushing..........everything works but the motor only moves the wheel about an inch then stops. I thought it was binding up but from reading your post it could be my motor needs some exercise
I wonder if its too late to go back and perform the procedure that u posted.

I will read TSB and go from there........gotta re aim my headlights now...one gadget at a time
Old 10-04-14, 03:33 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

jpv7774, it's worth the double check. The telescopic motor has a definite range of rotation, and there's no way for us to tell if it was shipped in the fully extended position, fully retracted position, or somewhere in between. So the idea is to detach the jack screw from the steering slider and use the 4-way switch on the steering column to rotate the jack screw to the fully extended position. Then manually match up the steering slider with the nut/bushing (by manually pull the steering slider to the full extended position and rotate the nut/bushing to match). This will ensure that when the motor stops at the full extended range, the steering slider will be at its fully extended travel, too.

On the other hand supposed if the motor was installed when it is at the mid-point of its rotational range, and the jack screw nut is attached to the steer slider at the fully extended position. Obviously at this point, if you move the 4-way switch to the "extend" position, the motor cannot rotate because the slider cannot extend further. But when you try to retract, the motor will reach the end of its rotational range before the slider is fully retracted.

Sorry for the long-winded ramble...
Old 10-04-14, 04:49 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Hey RK now worries on the ramble.....Im the king of a good ramble. You have given me new hope.......what u say makes perfect sense to me and its not like I have to remove the motor again. The steering mount thing is cake and I will def give it a try.

Will get to it tomorrow.....today it beat be...as it did yesterday as well......

Worked on other tips from this site.....got headlights adjusted down from the trees...great tips
Old 10-05-14, 10:58 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Default Success!!!!!!!!!!!

RKW you were right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will help many others going forward. This might not be an issue every time but def in my case.

After installing your new motor and BEFORE attaching it to the steering column......Slightly pull the threaded motor shaft away from steering column ( I liked to have nut and bushing on shaft for this so I could count the rotations )
Then start your engine and use the adjustment **** to run motor to full extension out....it will stop automatically at full ext. Then run it all the way in..........then finish with all the way out and leave it right there........
With engine still running.manually pull your steering wheel all the way out to meet the position of the tele motor..........your steering wheel does take a fair bit of force to pull out........
Now attach motor shaft with nut and bushing of course to steering column.......

once attached.......use the button......run that sucker!!!
I bought my car with this feature broken so I was taken by surprise when I turned off ignition and the wheel zipped in and up......this actually made it more diff to put trim back on.....so I started car again to re install the plastic pieces.....u have to jump the bottom piece over the **** quick because it will be active and move the wheel.........

One last note........The TSB mentions removing all kinds of dash trim etc......where I do believe the job would be easy once all of the trim is removed I dont think it is completely nec. As I stated before.....I only removed the bottom under panel....which made the job very very tricky unless u have hands the size of a baby. If u could just get the airbag out of the way 2004 and up.....the job is really easy......well......not easy...........it was easy the 3rd time I went in......

Again thanks to Exr3me and RKW for the help.......the save money will go to a real nice set of tires.
Old 10-05-14, 11:35 AM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Default one final comment

Sorry guys........but right now this little motor has been my obsession

So final note......

my old motors symptom was.....a short chirp and the wheel attempted to move but didnt

after checking out the bushing and cleaning it up w razor knife then reinstalling I hit button and it would run a few turns and stop........well at this point I figured the motor couldnt handle the load so I replaced it......then eventually put a new bushing as well......still motor ran but only a little and stopped.......

this tells me the old motor was fine. I believe the day the bushing failed and bound up the shaft it reset the motor........the only way to get this original motor to work properly again would have been to disconnect it from steering column and let it run a full cycle in and out...then re install.

All that being said ....Im not going back in....no way!!! Will keep old motor for a spare.....
Old 10-06-14, 06:43 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Is this job what I need to do ? It looks kind of complex. over the last month or so, My wheel comes out fine but, does not tilt up and down. It's at a ok driving level but, it does not pull out of the way when I shut the car off.

Does this mean I need to spend $200+ on a new motor or is there a quick fix that I might of missed here that could fix this ?
Old 10-06-14, 03:51 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

this thread is discussing the telescopic motor which you explained is working fine in your car. Your issue is in the tilt up/down motor/repair.

Search for the thread on tilt not working......

You may not need a motor at all.....and the tilt motor is much much easier to get to then the telescopic motor. Try fixes others have suggested before buying a new motor.....I would try lubrication and running motor un attached first.

Knowledge is power.......this site will walk u through your repair....

good luck
Old 10-07-14, 05:36 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Thanks,

OK, So this morning (after seeming my post above that it would not move up or down), It moved up but, it's binding. It's sluggish and very slow.

Now that it's working, is there a way to lube it or something to make it smooth again? (did a miss a post on it ?)Going down is perfectly smooth but, going up is what is binding a little.

Now that is see it was stuck, now that it's working, I want to see if I can protect it from burning out the motor...

Thanks !!
Old 10-07-14, 05:51 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Take a look at this discussion...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...placement.html
It has a lot of information on the tilt motor for 2004 and newer LS430.

For 2003 LS430, check out this discussion...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ly-2003-a.html

Last edited by rkw77080; 10-07-14 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 12:32 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Thanks,

OK, So this morning (after seeming my post above that it would not move up or down), It moved up but, it's binding. It's sluggish and very slow.

Now that it's working, is there a way to lube it or something to make it smooth again? (did a miss a post on it ?)Going down is perfectly smooth but, going up is what is binding a little.

Now that is see it was stuck, now that it's working, I want to see if I can protect it from burning out the motor...

Thanks !!
Assuming you're talking about the tilt motor -
Refer back to beginning of thread. Scroll down to where it states "OPTIONAL" ... the picture shows the screw that needs to be lubed on the tilt motor, you can view and lube screw easier from the underside of steering column better than the left side as pictured in the beginning of thread.
The upper and lower steering wheel cowl need to be removed to gain access to the tilt motor screw.

Attached is more pics from different views -
First picture below is taken from right side of column and the second picture is the view looking upward from underneath the steering column..
Hope that helps

Old 10-08-14, 05:42 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Yes, it is the tilt motor... In and out works fine and is pretty smooth, going up and down was not working but, I got it working so it's slow and seems like it's binding a little.

Awesome, thank you, I missed part of it as I thought the whole process was to remove the motor(trying to avoid if not needed). I looked over it again and see what your talking about, I will pickup some lithium grease this weekend and pull the cover off to see if that helps.

It looks like he replaced the rubber bushing (45768-60010), does this need to be replaced, or just lube it and see if that works ? The car is a 2001 with 178K on it.....
Old 10-08-14, 09:40 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
jpv7774, it's worth the double check. The telescopic motor has a definite range of rotation, and there's no way for us to tell if it was shipped in the fully extended position, fully retracted position, or somewhere in between. So the idea is to detach the jack screw from the steering slider and use the 4-way switch on the steering column to rotate the jack screw to the fully extended position. Then manually match up the steering slider with the nut/bushing (by manually pull the steering slider to the full extended position and rotate the nut/bushing to match). This will ensure that when the motor stops at the full extended range, the steering slider will be at its fully extended travel, too.

On the other hand supposed if the motor was installed when it is at the mid-point of its rotational range, and the jack screw nut is attached to the steer slider at the fully extended position. Obviously at this point, if you move the 4-way switch to the "extend" position, the motor cannot rotate because the slider cannot extend further. But when you try to retract, the motor will reach the end of its rotational range before the slider is fully retracted.

Sorry for the long-winded ramble...

Outstanding technical info rkw77780...
I did not note these finding as my motor will continuously turn in either the in/out direction when not installed as long as I hold the **** in the active position. Which now makes me think that since I completely disassembled my motor I may have installed the beveled disk upside down. I did drop the disk on the floor, so yeah - it was a 50/50 chance of assembling correctly) Although it operates properly installed...

I will add a quick reference note to the beginning of the thread for those replacing/installing motors to refer to post #32 - #36 before installation as everyone will find these posts very helpful.

Originally Posted by jpv7774
RKW you were right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will help many others going forward. This might not be an issue every time but def in my case.

After installing your new motor and BEFORE attaching it to the steering column......Slightly pull the threaded motor shaft away from steering column ( I liked to have nut and bushing on shaft for this so I could count the rotations )
Then start your engine and use the adjustment **** to run motor to full extension out....it will stop automatically at full ext. Then run it all the way in..........then finish with all the way out and leave it right there........
With engine still running.manually pull your steering wheel all the way out to meet the position of the tele motor..........your steering wheel does take a fair bit of force to pull out........
Now attach motor shaft with nut and bushing of course to steering column.......

once attached.......use the button......run that sucker!!!
I bought my car with this feature broken so I was taken by surprise when I turned off ignition and the wheel zipped in and up......this actually made it more diff to put trim back on.....so I started car again to re install the plastic pieces.....u have to jump the bottom piece over the **** quick because it will be active and move the wheel.........

One last note........The TSB mentions removing all kinds of dash trim etc......where I do believe the job would be easy once all of the trim is removed I dont think it is completely nec. As I stated before.....I only removed the bottom under panel....which made the job very very tricky unless u have hands the size of a baby. If u could just get the airbag out of the way 2004 and up.....the job is really easy......well......not easy...........it was easy the 3rd time I went in......

Again thanks to Exr3me and RKW for the help.......the save money will go to a real nice set of tires.

Good stuff, you and rkw7774 sound like experienced Lexus techs...
Give the Primacy MXV4 a look.. If you have a Costco nearby, every other month they have the buy 3 and get 1 free special. Also, they fill the tires with nitrogen instead of compressed air, less variances in loss of pressure over time and temperature changes. Bonus - you get green stem caps identifying tires are nitrogen filled. Free pressure checks and refills, no waiting..

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Yes, it is the tilt motor... In and out works fine and is pretty smooth, going up and down was not working but, I got it working so it's slow and seems like it's binding a little.

Awesome, thank you, I missed part of it as I thought the whole process was to remove the motor(trying to avoid if not needed). I looked over it again and see what your talking about, I will pickup some lithium grease this weekend and pull the cover off to see if that helps.

It looks like he replaced the rubber bushing (45768-60010), does this need to be replaced, or just lube it and see if that works ? The car is a 2001 with 178K on it.....

Since your telescoping feature is functioning properly and the bushing/slider has been previously replaced, just include lubing the telescoping screw shaft along with the tilt screw being you will have easy access at the same time
Old 10-09-14, 06:15 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by xtr3me
Since your telescoping feature is functioning properly and the bushing/slider has been previously replaced, just include lubing the telescoping screw shaft along with the tilt screw being you will have easy access at the same time
No, I never replaced the bushing, I was saying on page one he replaced it, should I order one to replace it is the question. I see on line they are under $5 but, not sure I will be able to find one at auto-zone or something.

The kids and wife are away this weekend, it's about the only time I get to work on these types of projects and in about a month or so, the weather will start getting cold, and I'm a tropical person, I hate the cold..

I'll stick with the "lube" for the time being but, if it still binds, I will order and replace the bushing...
Old 10-12-14, 10:20 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Thanks for this....really. I got some white lithium grease from autozone, Pulled the cover and watched where the up and down bolt was, it was slow and sluggish when it would move, there would be squeaking. After putting some grease on, then moving it up and down, repeating over and over (wiping off excess as I go), no more squeak and it moves perfectly smooth now.

Thank you again ! My wheel moves like new now

awesome, a fix that was really bothering me for like $3, love it

Quick Reply: DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up