LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-14, 08:46 AM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chunkyda
Let's try this question again, once the nut and bushing are removed the motor is no longer physically connected to the telescoping function of the steering column, turning the screw will not move the wheel in and out since it is not connected without the nut and bushing. My question is how easy or difficult is moving the wheel with the motor physically disconnected? Is there some kind of brake or clutch that stops the wheel from moving in/out that needs to be released by the electric switch function?
Yeah, I thought this may be the question you were asking but only after I had already responded, I figured I would wait for you to respond back. Reading comprehension skills - D
I don't know the answer.

I am going to help a friend work on his motor today. I will see if there is any movement and reveal my findings. Maybe someone else can chime in
Old 09-25-14, 03:40 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chunkyda
Let's try this question again, once the nut and bushing are removed the motor is no longer physically connected to the telescoping function of the steering column, turning the screw will not move the wheel in and out since it is not connected without the nut and bushing. My question is how easy or difficult is moving the wheel with the motor physically disconnected? Is there some kind of brake or clutch that stops the wheel from moving in/out that needs to be released by the electric switch function?
Yes sir...
the steering wheel assembly will slide in and out with the bushing bracket removed. It does not free float, there is resistance so a little **** is required. I wiped old grease from column and sprayed fresh grease as can be seen in attached picture, then lubed around any exposed area of column. I worked the column back and forth about 15 times without any noticeable change in lesser resistance. YMVT

Old 09-25-14, 04:51 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
I know this is slightly off subject but does anyone know how to manually adjust tilt? Mine is not working at all and is stuck at a lower than normal position. If i could raise it up just a tad it would make life a whole lot easier until i get a new replacement motor.

I believe the following steps will be the easiest way to adjust your tilt motor manually. Unlike the telescope motor, the tilt motor screw shaft only has one flat side, therefore mini vise grips would be best suited to adjust at this point, however it would be cumbersome due to lack of working space. Follow the simple steps instead below

Disassembly -
Step 1 - Remove upper and lower cowl
Step 2 - Remove 10mm bolt from tilt motor wiring connector bracket
Step 3 - Remove tilt motor wiring connector from motor
Step 4 - Remove 2 - 6 mm hexagon bolts from left and right side of motor
Step 5 - Raise up on steering wheel and pull downward on motor, the motor will rotate downward allowing you enough room to rotate motor which will turn adjusting screw. Rotate motor clockwise to lower and rotate counter clockwise to raise steering wheel. The only issue I see with this method is you may have to do it multiple times before you find your sweet spot.

Assemble in reverse order
* Note - when installing 2 - 6mm hexagon bolts, tighten bolts evenly until snug ( these motors are expensive and you do not want to strip threads) then torque to 15 ft lbs
* Note connector should be on left side when assembling

⬆ Step - 2 Remove Tilt Motor BRacket

⬆ Step - 3 Remove tilt motor wiring connector

⬆ Step 4 - Remove L/R side hexagon bolts

⬆ Step 5 - Raise up on steering wheel / pull downward on motor and rotate ⤴ ⤵
The following users liked this post:
Hagar (03-19-18)
Old 09-25-14, 05:04 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

xtr3me, if you still have access to the tilt motor, can you confirm if the tip of the jack screw has a socket hex slot?

Excellent addition - a single post to cover both telescopic motor and tilt motor replacement.

Last edited by rkw77080; 09-25-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-25-14, 05:18 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rkw77080
xtr3me, if you still have access to the tilt motor, can you confirm if the tip of the jack screw has a socket hex slot so you can use a hex key to adjust it manually?
Unfortunately it is a circular opening on the screw end, I tried both standard and metric hex keys. I even tried various sockets over the end of screw hoping I could find a size that would grip enough to turn. Sure would make adjustment easier if it had a hex fitting
Old 09-25-14, 05:24 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 675 Likes on 462 Posts

Oh well, wishful thinking... Thanks for checking.
Old 09-25-14, 05:53 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rkw77080
Oh well, wishful thinking... Thanks for checking.
Wishful thinking, exactly. These were my initial thoughts as I spent more time trying to figure out an easier way to make adjustments then the posted procedure itself. It's quite simple though, I don't understand the labor cost involved in motor replacement as it's only a 30 minute job from start to finish. I'd do the task all day long at $50 a pop - lol

My next project is to research and find out which other make/model vehicles steering motors are compatible with the LS models, if any... at a much lesser price. I have the necessary tools stored in a bag in the trunk now so I can do a swap out at any given time on a few Toyo's for testing purposes. Wishful thinking again
Old 09-26-14, 05:46 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xtr3me
Yes sir...
the steering wheel assembly will slide in and out with the bushing bracket removed. It does not free float, there is resistance so a little **** is required. I wiped old grease from column and sprayed fresh grease as can be seen in attached picture, then lubed around any exposed area of column. I worked the column back and forth about 15 times without any noticeable change in lesser resistance. YMVT

I did the same thing with but mine is extremely difficult to move in and out. Thanks for the photo and reply.
Old 09-26-14, 09:30 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Thanks for the DIY and precise pics. Will add this to the FAQ.
Old 09-28-14, 12:04 PM
davvv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey xtr3me do you have experience with droppin the steering column? I dropped mine to change my ignition switch and it just wont line up anymore. If you have any suggestions let me kno
Old 09-28-14, 04:17 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Extreme........Thank you very much for the time and effort to post this tutorial!!!!! My motor is in the mail and you have given me the confidence to move forward.......

Do u see any reason to disconnect the battery for this repair??? Is their any way i could accidentally fire off the knee air bag?
Old 09-28-14, 04:20 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered my telescope motor from Parts.com for $241.00 then got robbed on shipping.....total came to $271.00......has not arrived yet
Old 09-28-14, 05:31 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jpv7774
Extreme........Thank you very much for the time and effort to post this tutorial!!!!! My motor is in the mail and you have given me the confidence to move forward.......

Do u see any reason to disconnect the battery for this repair??? Is their any way i could accidentally fire off the knee air bag?
I did not disconnect the battery, I connected and reconnected with key off. Some may consider to remove TI/TE fuse for extra safety precautions, ensuring no feedback to related ECU

Pm sent
Old 09-28-14, 05:34 PM
xtr3me
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by davvv
Hey xtr3me do you have experience with droppin the steering column? I dropped mine to change my ignition switch and it just wont line up anymore. If you have any suggestions let me kno
Instead of pulling , grip steering wheel and yank it towards you...
Hope that works for you
Old 10-03-14, 06:51 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Default update

Hello all......... A big thank u to Extr3me for the tutorial......I have a few notes to add that might help others that want to tackle this project. First and foremost.....The LS changes every year and there are several diff trim packages so if u plan to follow a tutorial make sure your car is the same year. My 2004 LS had a couple substantial issues that popped up and made this repair extremely difficult. Note the model year Extr3me has....the repair is cake!!! His tutorial is awesome!!!!! Well in 2004 Lexus put in a knee airbag...woooops its right smack dab in the way........my 2004 has smart key....woops....all the connectors attached to under belly black panel....all has to be disconnected...........2004 has a heater vent for legs wooops right in the way.....if u have a 2004 here are my suggestions

If airbag disarm is something easy......like a fuse....do it
If it is not an issue to remove the knee air bag for this procedure.....do it I was scared to touch it
Listen to Extr3me and others regarding the bushing repair BEFORE u replace the motor
If u can figure out how to move knee vent......do it....I couldnt
Be careful removing bottom under belly panel...2004 has additional clips...pull back panel a little put screw driver in and pop the clips then disconnect all electrical attached to panel

note....my motor just emitted a quick chirp.....period
I checked bushing first and it was trashed....and the old motor did run
I cleaned up trashed bushing reinstalled and no worky so it thought my motor couldnt handle the load so I replaced
In the end...my new motor works also....but gets bound up when trashed bushing pulls nut out of alignment.....could have saved 300 bucks.....no way Im taking that new motor back out....

also note.....with telescope motor shaft disconnected you CAN manually push wheel in and out with a good bit of force..........

I am ordering the bushing now and I expect when it is properly installed and holding the nut tight that my telescope feature will work again.....

anyone needing help feel free to contact me.
The following users liked this post:
DC777 (12-06-21)

Quick Reply: DIY...the step by step telescopic steering write-up