LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Absurd service charges

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 02:54 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Absurd service charges

I've always been a stickler for proper maintenance to our vehicles. The wife's 2005 Lexus has reached 90,000 miles and is due for some major recommended service (replace timing belt and associated parts, water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, etc.).

Quoted by local Lexus dealer (parts and labor): $ 1,299.56 plus tax

After shopping for all required OEM parts on the internet, my total for parts was $ 324.63 (and the internet seller is making a profit) and shipping was free.

Now subtracting my parts cost (again OEM) from Lexus quote, that's a markup of $ 974.93 for their parts and labor. ABSURD!

Local family owned auto garage quoted labor for $ 355.95 for a total of $ 680.58.

I'll be saving $ 618.98.

Have an appointment at the garage Monday morning.

**Next due service (100,000) change 8 spark plugs---Lexus quoted: $536.75. The plugs cost about $ 10.00 apiece. Another ABSURD!
Old 03-01-14, 03:06 PM
peteyx
Rookie

Check the price at a local Toyota dealer. I had mine done for $870 which was lots less than the Lexus dealer.
Old 03-01-14, 03:15 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

Better hope they do it right. Otherwise...

Just sayin'.
Old 03-01-14, 03:15 PM
beneteau
Driver

Originally Posted by peteyx
Check the price at a local Toyota dealer. I had mine done for $870 which was lots less than the Lexus dealer.
I use a local Toyota dealer for oil changes and other minor service. But, Toyota could not match the $ 680 price.
Old 03-01-14, 03:30 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Better hope they do it right. Otherwise...

Just sayin'.
What made you said so? Personsal experiences? Ever read/heard stories of Lexus Tech screwed up people car. This is a very easy straight forward timing belt job. I am glad to hear the OP looked around for indie and get a more reasonable price.
Old 03-01-14, 04:06 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

Considering the cost if something isn't done correctly, I feel it would be easier to get resolution from a Lexus dealer than it would be from an independent stand-alone shop.

But that's just me.
Old 03-01-14, 04:44 PM
writes123
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The dealer price you got is very similar to the SoCal Lexus dealers. Interesting that it's a similar cost though I'd expect it to be since the labor hours are all "set/allocated" beforehand by Lexus HQ. It's not a absurdity per se, since that is in line with the cost from other nationwide lexus dealerships. Usually there is a 10% or $100 off when service costs around 750+ as well. Air struts are the only thing that comes to mind when dealing with that kind of service cost from dealerships. Your spark plug quote is also very similar to my local dealers' quotes so it's good that you can DIY or have found a local shop to do it for you.

That's a great deal for labor on that job from your local mechanic. I think my local independent Lexus mechanic is around the same cost for labor or just a bit more.

BTW, the serpentine belt and thermostat are quite simple as DIY projects but since you're going to do the entire TB/WP job, they need to be taken off to access them so it makes sense for you to have them do it all at once.
Old 03-01-14, 05:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 469 Likes on 362 Posts

The key part is a competent mechanic to do the install. A certified Lexus-Toyota Master mechanic, doing the job you won't worry as much. The $ spent for their experience and familiarity working on your car is well worth it. If the local guy hasn't worked on the UZ engine, that would give me pause.
Old 03-01-14, 06:03 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

An established independent shop though carries insurance for accidents and will make something like that right. You'll know if a timing belt is installed wrong as soon as you pull out of their bay if you're worried about an engine grenading.

Now if you just hired some yahoo off of CraigsList, or some guy that works out of his home then yes, you're probably screwed if he messes up and the engine blows up.

I had an independent shop do a timing belt/water pump along with a bunch of other work, and they "screwed" up the water pump part of the service. When I got home, I noticed a coolant leak. The shop was incredibly professional, had a tow truck at my house quickly, picked it up, and brought it in. It turns out the RTV had not fully cured.

My point is, even with a screw up, I'm glad I didn't take it to a dealership for nearly a thousand more. And I've had dealerships screw up. Multiple times.

A trained mechanic installing a timing belt is very basic, especially on this car.
Old 03-01-14, 06:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Considering the cost if something isn't done correctly, I feel it would be easier to get resolution from a Lexus dealer than it would be from an independent stand-alone shop.

But that's just me.
Originally Posted by RA40
The key part is a competent mechanic to do the install. A certified Lexus-Toyota Master mechanic, doing the job you won't worry as much. The $ spent for their experience and familiarity working on your car is well worth it. If the local guy hasn't worked on the UZ engine, that would give me pause.
Im with you guys, if something does go wrong Lexus has deep pockets and it will be much easier for you to get some sort of resolution.

With that said, these lexus techs are really not always what we think they are , they have mechanics come and go all the time, they get guys from the local midas, jiffy lube and mr lube and they end up working on your vehicle.

Last time I had my car at the dealer, the so called 'senior tech' working on my sc400 didn't know F- all, I had a loose cam or crank sensor (didn't know it at the time) and he was recommending I swap out all sorts of parts at a cost of over $1500.00, then he wouldn't guarantee it would fix the problem,, on top of that they wanted $300 for that pathetic diagnosis.

I yelled at them and they gave me my car at no charge ,,point of the story is I don't always trust these dealers either, but they do have deep pockets in case they mess up your car, so id rather go with them on anything to do with the engine.
Old 03-01-14, 08:42 PM
Zodiac
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything can go wrong even with a simple oil change. The point is any competent mechanic shouldn't have any problem changing the timing belt with the LS. It's a straight forward job. No special tools required. There are tons of of old Honda, Toyota, etc that require timing belt replacement everyday and I am sure most don't take them to the dealer. Busy Indy shops will do a few timing belt jobs every week. The secret is finding yourself a good reputable Indy shop and use OEM parts. I highly recommend replacing the spark plugs while changing the timing belt. Don't wait another 10K miles. The job is much more easier with all the parts removed to access the timing belt especially the passenger side. I bet you can negotiate a good rate for the spark plug job.
Old 03-02-14, 05:20 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I just never like to jump around to mechanics for cost so I suggest you find a good indy or dealer and support them. I find my yota dealer will be reasonable with me as I bring them all my service work and oil changes, alignments, tire buys etc on my LS, Highlander and Camry Hybrid for the past 6 years.
I stopped by to check my air pressure Friday, (amazing how hard it is to find a good air machine at a gas station these days) and they told me they where the slowest last month ever with the sub zero weather so I will bring my Highlander in on Monday to keep em busy. My last T belt job on my previouse LS was 650 bucks, my tires are close to tire rack prices, oils changes 11 bucks when I bring my own oil and I get a wash, brake jobs 189 bucks if I don't DYI, tranny drain and fills reasonable and I know some of the Lexus certified techs, Corey and Brady, and tip em on big jobs shake their hands and thank them. I can use any competitors coupons like 10 percent off on the t belt. Your dealers are going to have state of the art equipment I don't want to loose for price. Usually lay off the cookies but a cup of joe, big screen it is a good experience supporting one facility you trust.
Old 03-02-14, 06:53 AM
honeygee2
Pole Position

I'll tell you what absurd charges are. Serpentine belt broke and car was towed to a Toyota dealer. Found a broken wire harness in front of engine that cut power to the ignition system. Blah blah blah. Fixed it for 557 bucks including parts. Here's the friggin kicker....built into the computer is a 12% shop supplies charge which in my case came to 39 bucks...I guess they don't add it onto the parts and tax. I asked the SA what they used to replace a belt and fix a wiring harness. Two paper towels? It's not like they are taking a differential out of a car. He didn't know what they used just that it's built into the bill. Not a disposal fee a service shop supply charge! We had a little discussion and I threatened to call Toyota and they told me auto nation owns them. Call them. I told them I will call both. They gave me a free oil change for the 430 after asking me how many quarts it holds. UFB

Now that's an absurd charge.
Old 03-02-14, 07:07 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 120 Posts

i have seen dealers charge bay rental fees to the repair bill.
Old 03-02-14, 07:17 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Now days like any service you prolly need to get charges up front and then sign, dicker or walk if you are not sure about an indy or dealer. Go in stone sober say little and treat it like you want to keep yur money. But ya gotta remember everybody has to hit their numbers, there is huge overhead and service writers have to be watched as some work on commission.

$ 536 bucks for plugs. Plugs 15 bucks a piece 120 and 400 to put them in, what is the book alloted hours for that job? I would never go back and I would ask to be taken off all mailings.

Quick Reply: Absurd service charges