LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Turn Signals in Outside Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 09:29 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts
Smile Turn Signals in Outside Mirrors

Anyone have any experience regarding modifying the outside mirrors by adding LED turn signals? I've read some of the other threads (including for IS model) - none for LS. It looks like a rather straight-forward DIY. Carefully detaching the back of the mirror and finding the correct right and left turn signal positive wire and a solid ground wire to tap into look like the only real challenges. Where are and what color are the correct wires to splice into? (I'd probably use a wire toner to find / trace the positive wires.) How does the mirror cover back come off? Suggestions on where to buy? Have the turn signal mirror cover pre-painted by the seller or take to an independent shop for paint?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 01-18-14, 10:34 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it would be a very nice touch.
All the new cars, Audi, Porsche etc. are getting the LED signals, they look very sharp in my opinion.

Unfortunately I don't have any supporting information, so whoever does is kindly to be asked to provide us of their experience with such an idea.
Old 01-18-14, 11:29 AM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some guys did this mod on a few years back Sojah was one of them. Maybe send him a message he might help you out.
Old 01-18-14, 02:52 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

I know that there were past threads about this. There are currently turn signal covers on eBay for the LS430 for $359.00 but they look like the type that are held in place with adhesive or double sided tape. I don't remember anyone adding turn signals to the existing LS430 mirror covers.

EDIT: I looked at the $359 mirror covers (plus $69 shipping!!!) on eBay again and the description says that they are replacement covers and not the cheesy ones that are held to the original covers with adhesive or tape. Still, they seem silly expensive and the price doesn't include having them painted to match your car color.

I looked at photos of the underlying structure of LS430 exterior mirrors on eBay and they don't look like they are designed to have turn signals attached directly to them like on current Toyota and Lexus vehicles. The underlying structure of exterior mirrors on some vehicles currently made by Toyota have all the mounting holes for turn signals even when they aren't equipped with turn signals.

We bought a Prius wagon about a year ago that did not have turn signals that could be seen from the side. Upon investigation, I determined that the mirror covers and turn signals from the Scion IQ fit the Prius wagon perfectly. Parts cost was only about $135 but it was a pretty big job removing/installing mirrors, door panels and miscellaneous trim and finding the right electrical pins in the kick panels to connect to.

I wonder if is possible to use the entire exterior mirror housing including the covers and signals from a current Toyota or Lexus model on an LS430 ... e.g. ES350, Avalon, Highlander.

Where there is a will, there is a way. If you just want turn signals than can be better seen from the side, get the ones that were standard on the LS430 in Europe. I did this 20+ years ago on my first LS. A body shop cut the holes and I did the wiring which I ran forward over the fender liners to connect to the front turn signals. That was a far easier project than installing signal mirrors on the Prius.

Last edited by Kansas; 01-18-14 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 05:14 PM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Why? I know where I am going...lol.
Old 01-20-14, 04:54 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check with Nigel here on the forum. He sells them already painted. I bought mine from him several years ago.
URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/daddykay24/media/100_0903.jpg.html][/URL]

Old 01-20-14, 07:14 PM
Tom57
Pole Position

Daddykay24, Did you install the turn signal mirror covers yourself?

I'll pm Sojah, thanks for the tip, Glidesul.

I'm looking at the replacement mirror cover (back side) that has the LED signal installed in it. The back cover comes off, and the LED turn signal mirror cover snaps in, I think. I don't know exactly how the back cover is attached, if it just snaps off, or if the actual glass mirror has to be removed to access screws inside the mirror assembly.
Old 01-20-14, 08:18 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The glass has to be popped off and there are a few screws that needs to be unscrewed and the cover can be removed.
Old 01-20-14, 11:36 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Putting the covers on is the easy part. Doing the wiring is the other part that takes a little more time depending on how **** you are about it.
Old 01-21-14, 07:50 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Thank you for the pics, guys. Did you DIY install the turn signal mirrors, HiloDB1? The wiring, I know, is the most challenging part of the install. Any advice on where to tap into the existing turn signal wires? Thanks.
Old 01-21-14, 09:55 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I have them on my LS as well. I had my body shop do it since my mirrors were unpainted. It took my guy about three hours to run the wiring since took apart the door panel to run the wiring through the car into the engine bay. It was a lot of work and it isn't something I would do myself.

My mirrors were only $150 shipped off of classifieds a year ago. Carson Toyota may still sell them and our vendor Nigeljdm sells them too.
Old 01-21-14, 10:52 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I did the install myself. I had my bodyshop paint them when I painted the car but did the wiring and install myself. I tapped into the turn signals from inside the car. Dont remember exactly where off hand though.
Old 01-21-14, 05:48 PM
daddykay24
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had mine done by my audio guy. The wires were tapped into the front turn signals.
Old 01-22-14, 11:18 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Thank you all for the responses. I may undertake this mod DIY when / if the weather gets warmer here. I'd probably have a quality body shop paint the mirrors to match, and for durability / longevity of the paint.
Old 02-03-16, 01:44 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Tom

Where did you source them from ?

Was your body shop able to do he wiring ?

Quick Reply: Turn Signals in Outside Mirrors