Lexus dealers pricing differences for Master Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-13, 10:21 AM
Prochamber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lexus dealers pricing differences for Master Key

Greetings all,

I need to get a new Master Key due to my smart access not working. This was verified by the Lexus dealership where I just had my 75,000 mile service done.

Price at Dealership #1: - They told me that the key cost is $150.00 and $30.00 to program it. Pretty reasonable in my book. But this dealership is 1 1/2 hours away from where I live. So I figured I check with another dealership about 5 miles from me to make it more convenient when it's actually time to go back once the key comes in and for the programming.

Price at Dealership #2: - Unbelievable cost of $350.00 just for the key and an additional amount to program it. When I was standing at the parts counter I couldn't believe that the counter person told me that price. I didn't even wait to hear what the programming cost would be. I literally ran out of there!

Now, I'm thinking of ordering a new key from Sewell with the key cut to the VIN and was wondering how difficult it is to program the key myself. Any advice on this? Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 12-23-13, 10:56 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Like you, I just purchased an '06 LS CL on Nov. 23rd! My Lexus dealer quoted $85 for a new SmartAccess key. (NOTE: My Lexus Parts Manager also owns a '01 LS and meets or beats Sewell / Club Lexus discount prices). Alternatively, if you check on eBay, you can get a gently used key (# HYQ12BZE) for less than $20 (you'll need to swap your cut key from the non-working remote - which is one tiny screw - very east DIY). (I just bought another master key online.) You don't need a new key blade since you can swap that cut key from your non-working remote. And, programming instructions for the SmartAccess key are also DIY - search online or let me know and I'll send you the instructions. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-13, 11:13 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Programming SmartAccess:

1. Driver's door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch. Within 5 seconds: Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.

2. Within 40 seconds: Close and open driver's door twice. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.

3. Within 40 seconds: Close and open driver's door twice. Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver's door.

4. Switch ignition ON and OFF: A. Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes. B. Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes. C. Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered. D. Five times to erase all registered codes.

5. Remove key from ignition switch. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four times, slowly, to indicate number of key remote transmitters registered.

6. Within 40 seconds: Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 1.5 seconds. Within 3 seconds: Press any key remote transmitter button. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm registration or twice to indicate registration has failed.

7. Within 40 seconds: To program additional remotes repeat step 60 now on each additional remote you want programmed.

8. To exit programming mode open driver's door or insert key into ignition.

9. Step out of car with remote(s) in hand and test remote(s).
Old 12-23-13, 11:17 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

2006 LS Remote Programming Instructions (variation in detail):

1. Driver's door open, all other doors closed, key removed from ignition switch. Within 5 seconds: Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch twice.

2. Within 40 seconds: Close and open driver's door twice. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch.

3. Within 40 seconds: Close and open driver's door twice. Insert the key into the ignition switch and close the driver's door.

4. Switch ignition ON and OFF: A. Once to program a key remote transmitter code whilst retaining the original codes. B. Twice to program a key remote transmitter code whilst erasing the original codes. C. Three times to check how many key remote transmitters are currently registered. D. Five times to erase all registered codes.

5. Remove key from ignition switch. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once, twice or five times depending which mode has been selected. One to four times, slowly, to indicate number of key remote transmitters registered.

6. Within 40 seconds: Press and hold LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously for 1.5 seconds. Within 3 seconds: Press any key remote transmitter button. System should now lock and unlock vehicle once to confirm registration or twice to indicate registration has failed.

7. Within 40 seconds: To program additional remotes repeat step 60 now on each additional remote you want programmed.

8. To exit programming mode open driver's door or insert key into ignition.

9. Step out of car with remote(s) in hand and test remote(s).
Old 12-23-13, 11:38 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sewell lexus is a vendor here on clublexus and they have master keys priced really low.
Old 12-23-13, 01:44 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Thanks for all the information!
Old 12-24-13, 09:42 AM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some dealers (most) use whats called a price matrix, the MSRP is technically just that, its a "suggested retail price" set by the manufacturer, the dealers can sell it for whatever amount they want. This is why shopping around makes sense. No dealer has to sell by MSRP, they can sell it 2x the MSRP or even under MSRP there is no fixed price. Most Lexus dealers use price matrixes, thats why if i go to Lexus for a oil filter (plain ol 90915-YZZD3 oil filter MSRP is $5.41 can be had for like $4 at a Toyota dealer while Lexus MSRP is the same but yet i find them charging $11)
Old 12-27-13, 12:59 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Update! Just came back from my favorite dealership and they had some problems at first getting the Master Key to work. But, after about 45 minutes they got it. Good thing I let them do it!!! So now, I have 2 Master Keys for the car. Later!
Old 01-04-14, 06:38 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a new master key from Autotransponder.com and it was a little over $200 for a new Smart Key programmed and cut to work. Good service. Works perfectly.