LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Any mods for more hp/tq?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-13, 02:03 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuester
Brad, an SRT intake gains 20hp/30tq at the wheels on gs400's. Its not a stretch to think similar gains can be had for 430's. Add in headers and redo the post Y-pipe exhaust, and I would really be surprised to see anything less than an increase of 50-55hp and 60-65tq at the wheels.
I don't believe for one minute an air intake alone adds 20-30hp to the rear wheels on these cars. Show me a reputable dyno before and after an intake swap alone for the 4.3 engine

Here's a thread where someone did actually publish their dyno reading
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...the-gs430.html

With header, intake, and exhaust, he gained around 30hp. If an intake alone adds 30hp (accroding to you) shouldn't this number be MUCH bigger?

266hp max at the rear wheels in a car like an LS430 is nothing to brag about, I certainly wouldn't throw that kind of coin at it for those numbers.
Old 11-26-13, 03:32 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I had pretty much everything done to my gs400 that can possibly bolt on..my car was little faster than a stock 400,430- but other than sound I couldn't tell much. the torque converter helped but I would get my car beat by is350s.. wasn't even close.. actually felt it too be slower from a stop but was quicker on the highway.

just the srt no way adds even 20hp..the exhaust was good for sound..the tc made much noticeable diff..

they make a torque converter for ls?

the one I had I got from l tuned was something like Dragon PI

QUOTE=SQuester;8255540]Brad, an SRT intake gains 20hp/30tq at the wheels on gs400's. Its not a stretch to think similar gains can be had for 430's. Add in headers and redo the post Y-pipe exhaust, and I would really be surprised to see anything less than an increase of 50-55hp and 60-65tq at the wheels. Think about it, 290hp/320tq crank ratings in stock form or 360hp/400tq or so crank ratings with three modifications give or take +/- 5.

Anyone would feel those gains.

As for cost, that's up to the consumer if its justified and if they'll need a shop to install anything. I wouldn't, so my cost to go beyond the exhaust I already have would be $1200 or so with PPE and SRT products providing SRT works out their intake ECU mapping for us. Dyno proven 40hp/50tq gains for that kind of money in naturally aspirated form for a platform with zero aftermarket support is a plus.

It's not for everyone, that is for sure. But this thread was created just for this purpose, to outline options for someone who is interested and doesn't yet know what's available, what's been done to success and what should be avoided.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by UZ214; 11-26-13 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-26-13, 04:52 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/item.aspx?id=4

SRT's intake page, 20hp and 30tq at the wheels gain over stock. I'm sure there are user threads here with dyno's and impressions on GS's and SC's, but I haven't searched recently.

Brad, the intake also comes with a black box ecu to tweak the stock fuel parameters, so it's a bit more than intake piping size change and a different filter element like every single other "intake" on the market. Think about it like adding an SAFC or other piggy-back into the mix.

Kira, I believe SRT hasn't done the LS intake because no local owner has let them use their cars for development purposes. They had a page listing in the past. I'm sure Mo from SRT would be receptive to providing products to our platform, but again a local owner would have to step up as well.
Old 11-26-13, 07:05 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 120 Posts

SRT's intake page, 20hp and 30tq at the wheels gain over stock. I'm sure there are user threads here with dyno's and impressions on GS's and SC's, but I haven't searched recently.

Brad, the intake also comes with a black box ecu to tweak the stock fuel parameters, so it's a bit more than intake piping size change and a different filter element like every single other "intake" on the market. Think about it like adding an SAFC or other piggy-back into the mix.

Kira, I believe SRT hasn't done the LS intake because no local owner has let them use their cars for development purposes. They had a page listing in the past. I'm sure Mo from SRT would be receptive to providing products to our platform, but again a local owner would have to step up as well.
So the people selling it are saying it will give you 20hp I take it with a grain of salt.

Assuming they are telling the truth, my guess is 15 of those 20hp are from changing the ECU, not from just the intake, which was my original point. An intake alone is not going to give you that sort of bump.

You can get a decent bump in horsepower from changing the fuel maps on an ECU, I've done it before on a previous project car that was turbocharged, but the wrong tune on a hot day, and you can destroy your motor. I personally think you're better off getting something custom tuned from a local provider with a good reputation rather than a mail order ECU.

The person here on Club Lexus that I cited showed his dyno sheet after all the listed mods (headers, full exhaust, intake, etc.) that's only showing around 30hp gain. My guess is a custom tune could probably unlock a few more, but you're talking something like a $1,000 per 10hp bump when it's all said and done.

Not very cost effective, if more power is that big a priority, I think you're better off using that money to buy a different car that's faster from the factory, a newer LS470 has about 80 more horsepower which more than you're ever going to get from the aftermarket on a 430.

But then again, there's also people that drop crazy money on rims, so to each their own.
Old 11-26-13, 10:55 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After checking out swift racing technology's (SRT) website they are only 30 mins from me in maryland too. If they need a local car to test on I'd be game and if we thought about a group buy it might motivate them a bit more. They look to have great products for the lexus platforms.

They even have a supercharger kit for the 4.3l and says on website it will be available for the LS And other models like sequoia soon. 9-10 lbs of boost putting 400+ to the back tires from a 2.3l whipple. Same blower the cobra guys are running big reliable numbers on.

Last edited by bmore430; 11-26-13 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-27-13, 05:49 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Anything over 6 lbs of boost really needs a reinforced engine.
Old 11-27-13, 07:24 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
.... if more power is ...a priority, I think you're better off using that money to buy a different car that's faster from the factory. ....

But then again, there's also people that drop crazy money on rims, so to each their own.
This IS the correct way to have a faster car, unless spending a LOT of money into your LS430 and achieving minimal gains is worth your time and money. Adding a loud intake/exhaust and headers would be fun when you slam the gas petal to the floor, but how often are you guys driving like that ?
Old 11-27-13, 08:57 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 414 Likes on 342 Posts
Cool

If only I lived in their area I would let them use my LS. I'm just too far away.

Originally Posted by bmore430
After checking out swift racing technology's (SRT) website they are only 30 mins from me in maryland too. If they need a local car to test on I'd be game and if we thought about a group buy it might motivate them a bit more. They look to have great products for the lexus platforms.

They even have a supercharger kit for the 4.3l and says on website it will be available for the LS And other models like sequoia soon. 9-10 lbs of boost putting 400+ to the back tires from a 2.3l whipple. Same blower the cobra guys are running big reliable numbers on.
That would be cool if you could do that. If they end up doing a group buy PM the Club Lexus Administrator DaveGS4 and get it set up. I would buy it if the price was right.

A Supercharger sure would be nice but they're all so expensive.
Old 11-27-13, 03:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I emailed SRT about the intake setup for an LS430 asking if their GS430 intake was compatible.

Everything works and fits except for the Heatshield, we have had a few customers modify the heatshield to make it work.

Muhammad I. Choudhury (Mo) - CEO
Swift Racing Technologies
Phone: 410-247-4600
Fax: 410-247-4605
Link

Interesting how the power-band totally changes. Also, don't know why the dyno is on a GS400 and not a 430 in the link.
Attached Thumbnails Any mods for more hp/tq?-combo_vs_stock.gif  

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-27-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-27-13, 06:44 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BradTank
So the people selling it are saying it will give you 20hp I take it with a grain of salt.

Assuming they are telling the truth, my guess is 15 of those 20hp are from changing the ECU, not from just the intake, which was my original point. An intake alone is not going to give you that sort of bump.
Just the intake or not, doesn't really matter. The ECU they provide isn't end user tunable, and it's only function is to alter stock parameters to make a 27% larger(3.5") intake tube work on our motors. I'm mentioning parts that are available, not what someone else should do with their money and their car. It makes no difference to me. I do agree with you in many ways, as what I would personally do is directly reflective upon my own abilities and past experiences. My reasoning for mentioning the SRT is because it's not something that needs tuning and dyno time, it's an easy install and isn't simply a new tube which may gain 5hp if at all.

Me personally, I'd leave the stock airbox and mod it on the bottom with ducting to receive fresh cool air and avoid heat soaked IAT's like most intakes are susceptible to. Again, it's been done here and documented in the SC forum I believe. I'd also utilize a piggyback EMS for actual tuning and pray that our ECU's don't relearn and fight the tuning like I've experienced on other Lexus's.

You can get a decent bump in horsepower from changing the fuel maps on an ECU, I've done it before on a previous project car that was turbocharged, but the wrong tune on a hot day, and you can destroy your motor. I personally think you're better off getting something custom tuned from a local provider with a good reputation rather than a mail order ECU.
I've been driving for 16 years and my LS430 is the first naturally aspirated car I've owned, so I'm right there with you and understand your position fully. I can't assume another member has experience with doubling and tripling power output on turbocharged motors like I do, and it's irrelevant when speaking of modifying a small displacement N/A V8 such as our 3uzfe's anyway. Thats why my suggestions are what they are.

The person here on Club Lexus that I cited showed his dyno sheet after all the listed mods (headers, full exhaust, intake, etc.) that's only showing around 30hp gain. My guess is a custom tune could probably unlock a few more, but you're talking something like a $1,000 per 10hp bump when it's all said and done.
Agreed. Dyno's and the Internet don't really matter to me too much because people very rarely provide stock baseline runs and additional dyno time for each installed part. It's just not advantageous for anyone to do so.

I could throw a members dyno into the mix that made 282rwhp/306rwtq with an intake, header, exhaust and tuning via an Apex-I NEO, but what are we really learning? Only that the gains are possible. Considering all VVT-I UZ motors are pretty much the same speaking of output and baseline roughly 230-235hp/250-255tq at the wheels, a gain of 50hp/60tq is demonstrably obtainable and absolutely something that can be felt.

Not very cost effective, if more power is that big a priority, I think you're better off using that money to buy a different car that's faster from the factory, a newer LS470 has about 80 more horsepower which more than you're ever going to get from the aftermarket on a 430.

Lots of money on rims and suspensions definitely happens here, and being someone who did just that I can assure you it completely transforms cornering stability at the sacrifice of comfort. Is it for you? Maybe, maybe not. But it is a viable option that some seek to obtain. Same deal with more power and torque across the rpm band.

And unless we're speaking about LSx series motors, cost effective and power gains don't go hand in hand with N/A motors, especially a very small displacement engine series like our UZ's with almost zero aftermarket support. It sucks, I agree. The thing is though, it will always suck.

Just buying a different car isn't really an option and shouldn't be suggested. The LS430's are the best of the LS series in my opinion, and sacrificing many things just to get 90 more bhp is laughable to me personally. 460's are still $12k-$20k more than our cars on the used market, that's not even remotely close to what it costs to obtain the extra power we're talking about in this thread.

Like I said before, what this costs is directly related to each persons specific abilities and as such, is up to them in the long run. I chose to keep it simple and cheap(for N/A applications), that's why I didn't even mention cam upgrades, head porting, valve sizes, higher compression, stroker kits, LSD's with more favorable ratios, or even forced induction in both forms. All of which have been done. Valve body mods, increased line pressure and upgraded clutch packs? It never ends.

Keeping it simple for this thread, intake/header/exhaust, and possibly tuning.

The draw for me personally, is that if done right the quiet and comfort can be retained even with headers and exhaust at partial throttle cruising speeds. That's the fun of it, stock-ish temperament when you want it and a much more engaging driving experience when you lay into the skinny pedal. What's not to like? The cost? For you, maybe it's not worth it. I get that, I really do. But the purpose of this thread is to relay options, and to suggest things to stay away from(I.E. dual 2.5" exhaust piping etc).

Old 11-27-13, 07:02 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Great post SQuester. I by no means consider myself an expert. I have experience with bolt-on's with my old Saturn SL2 and a 2007 V8 Mustang I used to own. The Mustang was rather easy to gain nearly 90 HP but the biggest difference to me is no piggyback system. Honestly, they don't leave me at ease. Especially with your comment about the OEM software fighting against the piggyback AFC controller, which I has been mentioned before. Kind of blows my mind that no one to this date has cracked the OEM EMS to flash custom tunes and be done with it. Sure would be nice.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 11-27-13 at 07:07 PM.