LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Possible mod for exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 09:27 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Possible mod for exhaust?

I have been looking for an exhaust similar to the 5zigen fireball mega. I saw this thread and was wondering what yall would think about this mod? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...t-5inches.html Its a lot cheaper than getting a 5zigen mega exhaust too. Like 1/3 the price. I don't know if I would take out the resonators or anything yet, I dont like the drone but want a little more sound. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-18-13, 12:47 PM
elid786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great if you ask me, if your happy with doing it then go for it mate!
I think if your just after the sound then why not, even seen people do muffler deletes so this seems like a good idea.
Old 11-18-13, 12:52 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

save up and get the 5zigen
Old 11-18-13, 01:14 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by elid786
Looks great if you ask me, if your happy with doing it then go for it mate!
I think if your just after the sound then why not, even seen people do muffler deletes so this seems like a good idea.
Im happy with how it looks just kind of iffy on how it will sound. Dont want my car sounding like a fart cannon.
Old 11-18-13, 01:15 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
save up and get the 5zigen
Is there any pros to the 5zigen? I mainly like it due to the looks. Unless there is some other pro to it. I dont want to pay a premium just because its discontinued and jdm.
Old 11-18-13, 02:56 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by doodoo
Is there any pros to the 5zigen? I mainly like it due to the looks. Unless there is some other pro to it. I dont want to pay a premium just because its discontinued and jdm.
I like it for the look. It sounds alright, but I don't think it's worth the insane amount of money people want for them.
Old 11-18-13, 04:14 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

that looks really cool, almost as good or better then the fireballs.

the fireballs are nice but im not sure they are worth all the hype.(and price)
Old 11-18-13, 04:40 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kira X
I like it for the look. It sounds alright, but I don't think it's worth the insane amount of money people want for them.
Yeah, anything sounds better than now though. Which is nothing. I looked up the parts and it's 140 for two obx mufflers and 60 for two quality mbrp tips totaling 200 for parts. And probably another 50 to weld everything in. 250 for a custom exhaust setup is not bad at all imo.
Old 11-18-13, 04:44 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
that looks really cool, almost as good or better then the fireballs.

the fireballs are nice but im not sure they are worth all the hype.(and price)
I totally agree. It's not gonna make my car as fast as a lfa or anything and I just mainly want the look. I can get the look for less than half the price of a set of fireballs.
Old 11-18-13, 06:26 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by doodoo
Yeah, anything sounds better than now though. Which is nothing. I looked up the parts and it's 140 for two obx mufflers and 60 for two quality mbrp tips totaling 200 for parts. And probably another 50 to weld everything in. 250 for a custom exhaust setup is not bad at all imo.
Make sure the mufflers have an offset inlet or they won't fit. I ran into this issue when I was looking at Borlas and most mufflers that I liked won't fit the LS properly. Oval shaped mufflers like the Borla S-Type or resonators like the SLP Loud Mouth would work and they're pretty cheap on Amazon or Summit Racing. You can get some nice Borla tips on Amazon for under $100 for two.

Bigger piping will also help with the sound too. I went with a 2.25 inch Magnaflow X-Pipe with 4.5 inch Borla tips and it sounds like a Corvette/GTO.
Old 11-18-13, 07:28 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kira X
Make sure the mufflers have an offset inlet or they won't fit. I ran into this issue when I was looking at Borlas and most mufflers that I liked won't fit the LS properly. Oval shaped mufflers like the Borla S-Type or resonators like the SLP Loud Mouth would work and they're pretty cheap on Amazon or Summit Racing. You can get some nice Borla tips on Amazon for under $100 for two.

Bigger piping will also help with the sound too. I went with a 2.25 inch Magnaflow X-Pipe with 4.5 inch Borla tips and it sounds like a Corvette/GTO.
Well I don't want my car to sound like a corvette. My dad has a grand sport with npp exhaust and its loud to me. I want the jdm kind of rumble not the american muscle car kind. maybe you can tell me if this setup will work. The muffler body i was going to get is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Universal-Oval-Muffler-Resonator-Type-KV-2-5-2-1-2-w-o-Neck-/131033196893?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e822fe95d&vxp=mtr and the tips are these http://www.ebay.com/itm/MBRP-Exhaust-T5140-Weld-On-Tip-4-O-D-Angled-Cut-Rolled-2-5-Inlet-12-Length-/130944672504?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7ce922f8&vxp=mtr I think it will look nice and give some sound. I am debating to remove the third cat and replace with xpipe or not.
Old 11-18-13, 10:02 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to quote myself in my build thread. Basically, for the cost of fireball mega's(which can't be purchased new), I got a better look(placement wise) and ran full stainless piping to the center resonator, all fully TIG welded.

Originally Posted by SQuester
Deleted the twin resonators after the main center resonator, ran 2.25" mandrel bent stainless back to dual SS magnaflows and angle mounted and cut 4.5" SS tips. Was going for the discontinued 5Zigen Fireball Mega look.

As far as sound goes, almost everything you do will equal a subtle exhaust note. Deleting the resonators and running straight pipes like Kira_X mentioned is going to be on the extreme end of things for a LS, but I would personally not mind the sound. I've heard a similar setup on a local LS.

I don't care what you do, you won't get any kind of ricey or whatever sound from these motors, it's just not possible. If anything, it'll be too subtle for you after a week of driving. Eventually I plan to get the straight pipe sound while retaining the exact look I have now, which will take a creative touch with opening up my magnaflows and dechambering them to be completely straight through in regards to flow.
Old 11-19-13, 12:32 AM
ultm8mind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There has to be someone who has done this to an LS, or atleast I think there'd be. I am interested on how this will play out personally, I am thinking of doing exhaust, mainly for cosmetic reasons after I put my kit on.
Old 11-19-13, 07:56 AM
doodoo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SQuester
Going to quote myself in my build thread. Basically, for the cost of fireball mega's(which can't be purchased new), I got a better look(placement wise) and ran full stainless piping to the center resonator, all fully TIG welded.

As far as sound goes, almost everything you do will equal a subtle exhaust note. Deleting the resonators and running straight pipes like Kira_X mentioned is going to be on the extreme end of things for a LS, but I would personally not mind the sound. I've heard a similar setup on a local LS.

I don't care what you do, you won't get any kind of ricey or whatever sound from these motors, it's just not possible. If anything, it'll be too subtle for you after a week of driving. Eventually I plan to get the straight pipe sound while retaining the exact look I have now, which will take a creative touch with opening up my magnaflows and dechambering them to be completely straight through in regards to flow.
Those look real nice. For the muffler, did you buy a 2.25 or 2.5 to connect to the original piping? Im going to be a guinea pig and do it. I will order the parts and maybe install within next two weeks since I have a break for thanksgiving.
Old 11-19-13, 12:19 PM
Celsior21
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would keep in mind the factor of going with a reputable branded muffler. I was witnessing rusting or bad weld on mufflers attempting to save a few buck from a few of my friends as well as exhaust shops. Obx was one of the brand. You can save a good amount for replicating an exhaust, but make sure you use quality parts to do so if not you are not really saving yourself from anything. Initially I was attempting to do a fireball mega replicate as well. After adding up quality mufflers, tips, resonators, and labor the pricing isn't any further away. Nothing better than owning a piece of that discontinued part for your car.

Quick Reply: Possible mod for exhaust?