LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

What is the best exhaust system for the LS430?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-13, 11:22 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question What is the best exhaust system for the LS430?

Hello guys,

I was thinking of adding a pinch of sporty-ness to my LS. So I thought why not install an exhaust system.
Thought I'd ask you guys about this and see what you think.

Maybe like, Corsa or Magnaflow?

Will those even fit?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-13, 12:19 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Nobody really makes cat-back exhaust systems. The whole system is made very well and is efficient. If your looking for just a little volume Borla would be my first choice. Magnaflow and Flowmaster as well. You really will not get any HP. Headers is really the only decent improvement under forced induction. But still it's worth having a piggyback system for the ecu to go with the headers.

There is just not really any easy mods for some horsepower. The exhaust would be maybe $1500 with a custom tune. And that's for potentially 30 - 40 hp. Probably about only 30 and 25 of would be headers and tune.
Old 09-27-13, 12:59 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a rear section exhaust for sale.

Aimgain GS-Class

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...1-celsior.html
Old 09-27-13, 07:28 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 417 Likes on 343 Posts

Most of the JDM exhaust setups are too expensive in my opinion so I went with a custom setup. A 2.25 or 2.5 inch X-pipe with a nice set of Borla or Magnaflow mufflers/resonators should sound pretty good.
Old 09-27-13, 07:33 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Nobody really makes cat-back exhaust systems. The whole system is made very well and is efficient. If your looking for just a little volume Borla would be my first choice. Magnaflow and Flowmaster as well. You really will not get any HP. Headers is really the only decent improvement under forced induction. But still it's worth having a piggyback system for the ecu to go with the headers.

There is just not really any easy mods for some horsepower. The exhaust would be maybe $1500 with a custom tune. And that's for potentially 30 - 40 hp. Probably about only 30 and 25 of would be headers and tune.
I'm looking for the sound more than HP. I don't really have the idea of wanting to add extra HP.
I just wanna give it a sporty sound. Like those SRT8's, 300C, Charger and Challenger.
Old 09-27-13, 07:44 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
I'm looking for the sound more than HP. I don't really have the idea of wanting to add extra HP.
I just wanna give it a sporty sound. Like those SRT8's, 300C, Charger and Challenger.
Since you said you want a sporty sound try doing an 2.25 inch X-pipe with no mufflers from the cats back and it should give you the sound you want. You can leave the OEM resonators on if you don't want it to be too loud.

I did a 2.25 inch Magnaflow X-pipe with no resonators or mufflers and it sounds like a GTO or Corvette according to my friends.
Old 09-27-13, 09:28 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I would remove the resonators first. The increase in volume is minor but noticeable. Removing the mufflers is a lot louder. More drone problems too.
Old 09-27-13, 10:07 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I removed the the third cat, resonators and mufflers and ran a magnaflow X pipe and 2.5" pipe with glass packs and the sound is perfect. Not to loud but definitely noticeable growl!
The following users liked this post:
DarthBacon (05-06-19)
Old 09-28-13, 12:55 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate all the replies. But unfortunately I'm a noob when it comes to exhaust systems. I'll try to remember or write down what you guys said and take it to a shop.

Meanwhile it would be great if we can hear examples from what your cars sound like now.

Again, I appreciate all the replies, thanks for helping out.
Old 09-28-13, 02:52 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

What is the best exhaust system for the LS430?
the one that came on it from the factory!

The little **** ant aftermarket firms do not have the 100's of millions of dollars in R&D budget to engineer anything remotely in the league of what Toyota has engineered for your car. I have tried many times to "improve" a Lexus/Toyota exhaust, and all I ever end up with is regret that I ever screwed around with it. Bad design, bad fit & finish, unreliable, less power rather than more, failed emissions, too much noise and crappy fuel mileage tend to be the results!

As Louis C.K. would say: Sometimes, though, it takes touching the hot stove in life a few times before we learn "Ouch, I shouldn't do that!"
Old 09-28-13, 08:58 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
the one that came on it from the factory!

The little **** ant aftermarket firms do not have the 100's of millions of dollars in R&D budget to engineer anything remotely in the league of what Toyota has engineered for your car. I have tried many times to "improve" a Lexus/Toyota exhaust, and all I ever end up with is regret that I ever screwed around with it. Bad design, bad fit & finish, unreliable, less power rather than more, failed emissions, too much noise and crappy fuel mileage tend to be the results!

As Louis C.K. would say: Sometimes, though, it takes touching the hot stove in life a few times before we learn "Ouch, I shouldn't do that!"
Like he said.
Old 09-28-13, 05:58 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate all the replies. But unfortunately I'm a noob when it comes to exhaust systems. I'll try to remember or write down what you guys said and take it to a shop.

Meanwhile it would be great if we can hear examples from what your cars sound like now.

Again, I appreciate all the replies, thanks for helping out.

Here is a short clip of my setup

The following 3 users liked this post by 1STLXS:
94fps (10-04-18), DarthBacon (05-06-19), Hoodcf31 (12-05-19)
Old 09-29-13, 11:09 AM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
Thank you for sharing. That sounds like a beast. Hopefully I'll upgrade some time and it'll be like yours!

Thanks, cheers.
Old 09-29-13, 11:34 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by 1STLXS
That sounds really nice. It's sounds way different than mine. What kind of glass packs are you running?
Old 09-29-13, 02:20 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Thank you for sharing. That sounds like a beast. Hopefully I'll upgrade some time and it'll be like yours!

Thanks, cheers.
Your welcome!

Originally Posted by Kira X
That sounds really nice. It's sounds way different than mine. What kind of glass packs are you running?
Thanks, to be honest I don't recall what brand but I will call the shop tomorrow and find out for you.

Quick Reply: What is the best exhaust system for the LS430?