LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Discount Tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-13, 05:48 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I get tires from like Sears during super sales, last 4 Comfortreds where 450 bucks. then I have the dealer rotate my tires and pay them, or I would just get the tires from the dealer. My time is money and they change my oil do all repairs and treat me well. Coffee, wi fi in and out rotate/oil in 45 minutes best deal. I get my oil done for 11 bucks when i bring in the 5 gal jugs of syn from Wally world and I get a wash. Gotta keep these guys around. Even my dealer is competitive on tires. I am not real fond of the smell of rubber either actually.
Old 01-18-13, 05:59 PM
TomShea
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warm

Where are you in Wisc? I am in Lakeville MN. That's just south of the Twin Cities, Minneapolis / St. paul. What do you use for winter and summer tires? Is there anything you consider to be a special northern climate concern for these cars?
Old 01-19-13, 05:29 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

TS, I like my Comfortreds as well as my last set of H rated MVX4. I used me all year round and get new at 6/32. Comfortred is still strong at 50K prolly get new ones next winter, they have a 70k warrantee which is accurate.

Sale at Sears ended at the first of the year but next year from Oct to dec 31 they will be on sale at least 2 years in a row. My car has no problems in snow and is very fun to throw around with the stab trac I see no need to run snows and take em off etc but that is just me. I ski in the UP every other weekend in the snow belt roads are always snow packed and I do fine. Never ran my tires down though.

Concern in northern climate.......dry snow years I love driving this thing around corners. Plus sub 15 temps make er handle like a bmw.

Lets see next december I will have 220k on er.
Old 01-19-13, 05:30 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Appleton WI sorry
Old 01-19-13, 07:04 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TomShea
Jay:
I'm concerned about whatever happened to you could happen to me or others. I'm not sure if it's OK to talk about stuff like that in these forms, but I would like to know more. Could you possibly give us some idea of what happened?
One store put balance weights on the outside of the wheel. Of course this scuffed the wheel permanently. They also made marks on the outside of the wheel during their balance process. Unable to remove the marks. Tried to sell new tires constantly to my daughter as she was driving the SC400.

The other store broke the center cap on my SC400 and never said a thing. They then promised to replace it. Two weeks later, they didn't know anything about it. Just replaced it myself.

I don't put up with people treating my car or myself in such a manner. I have never let them touch my LS430 and don't intend to let them. Shoddy workmanship, poor service. End of story.
Old 01-19-13, 11:46 AM
mywong23
Driver

I'm in SF bay area.
have bought several sets of tires from 3 different Discount tire stores.
also had them mount tires that I bought online,
when their lowest price coud not beat online prices.
I've been satisfied with their work.
and will continue to go back.

however I will shop other stores and online, too
for comparison
Old 01-20-13, 09:50 AM
TomShea
Rookie

Default Concerns

Jay:
I see that Discount Tire placed the weights on the outside of my wheels also. I can't blame them for this as the wheels already had weights on the outside and they weren't in good condition. I did have them use only inside weights on the next set. I will make a point of doing that in the future especially with a better set of wheels. I will have to make a close inspection of my wheels for recent marks from their machines. I expect to be recieving a good set of wheels soon for my summer tires. These will not have center caps. Do you have a recommendation for where the best place to get these? It would be nice to have caps for all wheels.
Old 01-21-13, 08:18 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TomShea
Jay:
I see that Discount Tire placed the weights on the outside of my wheels also. I can't blame them for this as the wheels already had weights on the outside and they weren't in good condition. I did have them use only inside weights on the next set. I will make a point of doing that in the future especially with a better set of wheels. I will have to make a close inspection of my wheels for recent marks from their machines. I expect to be recieving a good set of wheels soon for my summer tires. These will not have center caps. Do you have a recommendation for where the best place to get these? It would be nice to have caps for all wheels.
I have always had the original wheels on the SC400. Never had wheel weights on the outside befor Discount Tire did that. No reason unless new tires where not well balanced. They should have realized that and not put the tires on the car. They just didn't care obviously.

I purchased the center cap from my Lexus dealer. I am a very particular person and have never had my Lexus's repaired by anyone other than my Lexus dealer. Have only had people that replace the tires and battery touch the car.