LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2004 LS430 Nav DVD will not eject, external system not connected

Old 11-04-12, 10:44 AM
oldkystude
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2004 LS430 Nav DVD will not eject, external system not connected

Checked the fuse in the right passenger kickpad ok. Nav box seems to not have power. I am ordering a wiring manual but would appreciate any info on identifying the power pin to the nav unit.

the rest of the story: my wife bought a gallon of sodium chloride pool anti freeze and the lid was not tight. half of the gallon went into the trunk. I drove the car and got the "external system not connected" message when selecting MAP. the audio display is fine, radio works am and fm. the climate screen also comes up and is fully functional. also the backup camera is ok. to me that rules out the multifunction display.

Ive spent most of the weekend pulling the trunk area apart and cleaning out the mess. Sodium chloride is used in tractor tires and is the main component of pickle juice. Its edible but very corrosive. I opened up the nav unit (dvd drive) and did find some juice there. the only thing electrical that it touched was the ribbon connector to one board. I rinsed it out carefully with fresh water and dried it before reassembling. the stuff was not in there for even 24 hours and there is no evidence of corrosion, just a little staining that wipes off.

I also opened every other box that had any wetness externally but they were dry inside.

It is possible that the problem pre-dates the spill. my wife never uses the nav map or even hits the I Agree button. The display is therefore usually black when she drives. I always turn it on but have not driven the car for 2 weeks. She therefore could have had this for a while without knowing.

since the dvd wont eject, even with the car running im still thinking its just not getting power. Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Old 11-05-12, 09:43 AM
oldkystude
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough topic it seems. no suggestions so far.

i did confirm power on the two power pins, B+ and ACC. The next thing the troubleshooting guide says is to check the three pins to the multi function display. they dont say what to check for though. Im guessing they switch the unit on. since there have been issues with the display units maybe that is the problem.
Old 08-02-13, 11:42 AM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello I know this thread is a little old but just want to share my experience so info can be out there for others in the future.

I recently experienced the "external system not connected" and my navigation stopped working. I removed the navigation ecu (where the navigation DVD is) and opened it up. There was some corrosion on one of the board and might have shorted some of the pins. Might be from the humidity? Anyways I sprayed some electronics board cleaner I got from radio shack and cleaned it with a toothbrush. Reinstalled it in the car and it works now.

Conclusion: if you have this error, the navigation ecu is bad somehow. In my case I was able to clean it.