LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Green tint on headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 11:16 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Green tint on headlights

Does anyone know how to get rid of the green tint on the head lights? I have used the head light restore kits and still have the green tint.
Old 09-29-12, 07:52 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Te Green tint is a distinguishing luxury feature of the high end car... besides, I'm not thinking you can remove it since the color is due to the inner reflective/chromed areas in the sealed headlamp...
Old 09-29-12, 12:18 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep the tint is built-in! Why would you wanna get rid of it? Its very unique looking.
Old 10-02-12, 01:21 PM
eggtart
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also very ugly looking, to me anyways. I'm curious though, is it a UV tint? What is it's purpose? I notice they omit the tint at the glass/plastic where the blinker bulb is. The headlight is already HID, why would they need to tint the glass?

I find it hard to believe that the chrome coating of the reflector housing causes the tint. I have a Tundra truck and the housing is chrome but I dont have any tint...it's perfectly clear.

So anyone know why the tint, besides cosmetic?
Old 10-02-12, 01:35 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If you hate it that much, just replace those things.
Old 10-02-12, 02:06 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Its a tint in the chrome-colored plating of the inner plastic bezel. To change it you'll have to put the headlights in the oven to remove the lens, then take out the bezels and find a plating shop to redo them.
Old 10-03-12, 07:53 AM
eggtart
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmmm...very interesting. I'll closer look at the headlight tonight. Thanks for the info!

So the color "tint" really is just cosmetic then.
Old 10-06-12, 12:16 AM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

IMO i dont really like the green tint it makes the car look older to me. Many people also ask me why it is green and that it makes the car look older. Over all i get nothing but compliments about the car but everyone always say the same about my headlights. Can i use a heat gun to remove the headlights?
Old 10-06-12, 01:52 PM
Michaeldc
Driver School Candidate

Can you post a picture of what your talking about?
Old 10-11-12, 10:29 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard horror stories of people trying to bake their headlights apart and plastics deforming, etc. These things are not cheap!!! Maybe find a full service service who will do all that for you with their experiencxe abnd warranty (if one even exists). If not and I were in your shoes, I would consider the following:

1) Headlight self adhesive covers that are tinted... designed for rock protection and there are a few with different tints. Like maybe $60 for the pair and you get rock protection.
2) Buy aftermarket headlight assemblies possibly that should be plug and play... no experience here.

Again, it is a distinguishing look the LS430 had over it's competitors... but I understand your personal preference.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out...

-John
Old 10-12-12, 04:16 PM
anthony430
Rookie

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Its a tint in the chrome-colored plating of the inner plastic bezel. To change it you'll have to put the headlights in the oven to remove the lens, then take out the bezels and find a plating shop to redo them.
This is correct. Here are a couple pics to emphasize. They are from this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-and-leds.html

Notice the green tint without the outer lense present.
Old 10-17-12, 03:50 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Michaeldc
Can you post a picture of what your talking about?

this is how they look at night.
Attached Thumbnails Green tint on headlights-headlight.jpg   Green tint on headlights-headlight2.jpg  
Old 08-30-21, 04:58 PM
AlwaysAdv
Driver School Candidate

First…Please know I am in total agreement with you. I don’t like it. The tint was originally designed to mimic their gauge cluster design. Everyone always thinks I simply need to clean or polish them. Nope…They just came from the factory that way. Here’s the rub…They are bi-xenon HID self-leveling headlamps with a special wiring harness. I have yet to find a solution that doesn’t cost over $800. Let me know if you have any luck and I’ll do the same.
Old 08-30-21, 05:55 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I never noticed this, other than I thought the headlights looked a little funny compared to my SC300. This is really common on the 98-05 GS and makes my GS300’s headlights look nasty.

My headlight housings are painted black now but I plan to buy new lenses for them.
Old 08-31-21, 05:48 AM
AlwaysAdv
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kira X
I never noticed this, other than I thought the headlights looked a little funny compared to my SC300. This is really common on the 98-05 GS and makes my GS300’s headlights look nasty.

My headlight housings are painted black now but I plan to buy new lenses for them.

Kira X…Let me know how that goes. As of yet, I have not found a way to buy new lenses for the headlights nor the fog lights. It is also my understanding that to separate the lens from the housing takes removing the headlight housing assembly and then heating them up in the oven to break the seal. Of course this requires some level of expertise because you don’t want to melt or warp the plastic in any way either. TBH…This is one of the more/most frustrating things about such a cool modern classic.

Quick Reply: Green tint on headlights