LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How powerful are our HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12, 05:17 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How powerful are our HIDs?

I am getting ready to upgrade the projectors on my GX470 to true HIDs and wanted them to look more or less OEM, not overly bright, too colorful, aftermarket or blingy. IDeally, Id like them to look just like the OEM HIDs on my LS430, sadly Lexus never offered them on the GX. My installer said he recommends between 6-8k. Any idea what our factory HIDs are putting out so I can try to get the same look from my other Lexus?
Old 03-06-12, 05:35 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The LS430 projectors are 4300k. You'll be good 6000k.
Old 03-06-12, 05:35 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the OEMs are 4300k, anything higher will give it a more bluish/purplish look.
Old 03-06-12, 05:36 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't go past 6k. Anything over that will look undeniably blue ie aftermarket.
I'd try to find 4300 or 5k.

And btw "powerful" isn't quite the right description for this. The kelvin rating is a measure of the colour of the light only. "Brightness" output (normally measured in lumens) is not something you get to choose with HIDs.

Last edited by dfkd; 03-06-12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-06-12, 05:49 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Thanks guys
Old 03-06-12, 07:02 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i did 5000k for my cousin gx470 headlights/fogs a few years ago and it came our really nice.
Old 03-06-12, 07:39 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Muti007
Thanks guys
Recommend www.kbcarstuff.com They have Philips bulb kits. They have a great quality kits. If you search for my posting you will find an install I have done on GX460. Call them and ask for Steve. Tell him that Luke from Raleigh sent you and he will take care of you.

As previously stated I would recommend staying with 5000k kit or below so you don't get the blueish tint which blinds people. If you want the Philips bulbs, you can get them in 4300k temeprature only. Philips with time will shift to more 4800k. I am using the kit on my wife 4runner as well and she is very happy.
Old 03-06-12, 07:39 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by AznRacer
i did 5000k for my cousin gx470 headlights/fogs a few years ago and it came our really nice.
Thanks man. What kit/bulbs did you go with? I found a local shop Ive been taking all of my cars to lately for a number of audio and other auto things I want done and I trust them and their work. Hes offering a 6-8k kit installed with a 1 year warranty on parts and labor for about $250 but its not a brand name kit, though they are German kits, ballasts etc. Just wondering what you may have used and if I should go with my initial thought of ordering one of the kits from Xenon Depot.
Old 03-06-12, 08:28 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks man. What kit/bulbs did you go with? I found a local shop Ive been taking all of my cars to lately for a number of audio and other auto things I want done and I trust them and their work. Hes offering a 6-8k kit installed with a 1 year warranty on parts and labor for about $250 but its not a brand name kit, though they are German kits, ballasts etc. Just wondering what you may have used and if I should go with my initial thought of ordering one of the kits from Xenon Depot.
BTW XenonDepot and KBCarStuff is the same company. When you go to xenondepot it will take you to the other site. Don't waste your money on someone installing. Install take 15 minutes to plug everything in and next 30 min to ziptie everything the way you wanted.
Old 03-07-12, 04:42 AM
Muti007
Advanced

Thanks Luke, maybe I really need to find someones writeup on install to make sure its worth paying someone to have them put in. Remember, this is for my GX470, not my LS430 and that car didnt come with HIDs from the factory so it wouldnt just be swapping but an entire upgrade. As such I would expect it to be a little more work but I could be wrong.
Old 03-07-12, 12:38 PM
ONMYLVL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not hard. just make sure you have the right electrical connectors, and crimpers, and it will only take you an hour or less. the hardest pat about it is reading the instructions you get with the kit. i recommend keeping the ballast in the engine bay, where it will stay drier.
Old 03-07-12, 02:06 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by ONMYLVL
its not hard. just make sure you have the right electrical connectors, and crimpers, and it will only take you an hour or less. the hardest pat about it is reading the instructions you get with the kit. i recommend keeping the ballast in the engine bay, where it will stay drier.
Considering all of the work Ive done on my cars over the years, I dont doubt for a second that this is well within my threshold of "doable". I just also realize that realistically, if I decide to do it myself, the kit will likely gather dust in my house for a long time and Id far prefer just spending the $85 on labor to have it done for me, knowing its done right, not having to buy any tools, connectors etc. and having someone to take it back to if theres a problem. To be able to drop it off at lunch and pick it up after is sooooooooooo worth the $85 to get it done for me.

The sub I finally just put in my LS for instance sat in its box for about 6 months. The last one I replaced myself (4 ohm, dont buy one no matter what people recommend to you on this site btw) and it took me well over an hour which included a lot of cursing at myself. And a few days later I realized I should have bought at least an 8 ohm, so I did. And it sat and sat. It was way worth finally just paying someone for a half hour of labor to have it thrown in and be on my merry way. I think for some jobs like this, Im just too old and/or lazy anymore to bother and that money is far better spent if it allows me to just know its done and done right.
Old 03-08-12, 01:45 PM
MEPEH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad i hear about 4300-5000k range
That's the most efficient color temperature for a vehicle...

now if you posted this question on a honda civic forum, you'd hear all the people telling you 14000-16000k is the way to go....

Glad this community is more educated in regards to giving advises
Old 03-08-12, 01:56 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by MEPEH
So glad i hear about 4300-5000k range
That's the most efficient color temperature for a vehicle...

now if you posted this question on a honda civic forum, you'd hear all the people telling you 14000-16000k is the way to go....

Glad this community is more educated in regards to giving advises
Exactly. Most people would just want the highest # available. I just want the cleanest light I can get and want it to look like Lexus installed them, same as my LS which the GX and S2k are parked next to (also stock HIDs). Even my installer was so pleasantly surprised when I asked him what the lowest number he stocked was
Old 03-08-12, 02:28 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I used HidExtra kits. They are a vendor on our forum and their products work great, cheap in price and last a really long time. I have bought over 20 kits from them over the past years and none of them have any problem till this day.

Quick Reply: How powerful are our HIDs?