LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Clinking sound when pressing gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 01:14 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the noise my car makes. Each time you hear a clinking noise, I am lightly tapping the gas pedal (car is coasting). A second clinking noise can sometimes be heard when I release the pedal. For whatever reason, the sound is more clear near the console rather than down in the footwell.

http://youtu.be/Z9aXLaYUuMg
Old 01-16-12, 08:34 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds a lot different than mine. Maybe a u-joint on the driveshaft at the back of the transmission? That wouldn't really make much noise over bumpy roads though. How about a suspension part that is torqued when you throttle? Or maybe something loose with the shifter linkage? I just ordered a new front exhaust pipe, we'll see if that solves my problem.
Old 01-17-12, 11:28 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

I got my air suspension swapped out for springs and shocks in October, so maybe. It has to be something tied into the gas pedal/acceleration which stumps me.
Old 01-18-12, 07:29 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer01
Here is the noise my car makes. Each time you hear a clinking noise, I am lightly tapping the gas pedal (car is coasting). A second clinking noise can sometimes be heard when I release the pedal. For whatever reason, the sound is more clear near the console rather than down in the footwell.

http://youtu.be/Z9aXLaYUuMg
I have a 2nd gen gs, and i get that same exact noise. Wanted to get under the car and check this weekend, but it's supposed to rain. I thought it was my suspension cycling, it took me the longest to figure out the noise was related to the gas pedal.
Old 01-27-12, 03:11 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Any of you guys figure out those noises? I'm having my exhaust heat shields removed and possibly replacing the pipe next Friday, hopefully that fixes my noise.
Old 01-30-12, 06:51 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

I haven't looked any more into it. Let us know if that fixes it.
Old 02-10-12, 10:43 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

I just had the heat shields removed from my front exhaust pipe. The pipe didn't appear to have any holes in it. On the way home I could still hear a noise, although for some reason it didn't sound as loud, maybe it was just my perception, but the noise was definitely still there. I don't have a clue now what is causing this noise. It is getting more noticeable too at lower speeds and just normal driving. Basically a tinny, clunky, pinging noise similar to engine knock. Plus when the car has been sitting overnight and I go to start it there's a nasty metal-on-metal grinding sound that occurs right as the engine fires, it lasts for a second. Imagine if there was no oil in the motor; that's what it sounds like. This sucks.
Old 02-13-12, 06:39 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I just had the heat shields removed from my front exhaust pipe. The pipe didn't appear to have any holes in it. On the way home I could still hear a noise, although for some reason it didn't sound as loud, maybe it was just my perception, but the noise was definitely still there. I don't have a clue now what is causing this noise. It is getting more noticeable too at lower speeds and just normal driving. Basically a tinny, clunky, pinging noise similar to engine knock. Plus when the car has been sitting overnight and I go to start it there's a nasty metal-on-metal grinding sound that occurs right as the engine fires, it lasts for a second. Imagine if there was no oil in the motor; that's what it sounds like. This sucks.
That is amazing! I My car makes the same grinding sound on cold starts. At first it only did it in the mornings, but now will do it after it has been sitting for a few hours as well. I think I pin pointed it to the silver actuator which works the cam. The shop couldn't help me with it either because they couldn't replicate it. It's almost like the engine is revving too high when starting cold. I don't know.

Here's what it sounds like:
http://youtu.be/1nta5dJdHk0
Old 02-13-12, 10:15 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Yup that's it. Horrible noise. What is the "silver actuator that works the cam"?
Old 02-13-12, 10:39 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

I forgot the name but it's right of center near the front of the engine and you have to remove the plastic cover to see it. I think it says something like VWI actuator on it.
Old 02-15-12, 06:32 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

I have been noticing that when I start my car after it has been sitting for a while, it initially revs up to 1800rpm before settling down closer to 1200-1400rpm. When the car is warmed up, it starts under 1000 rpm. When it initially hits 1800 rpm for a second is when I hear the grinding noise.

Does anyone else's car initially rev to 1800 rpm in the mornings?
Old 02-15-12, 08:53 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

so funny i am going through exactly what you guys are with my 2gs300. at 1st it was just the clink, but it's been cold lately in socal and now i get the grind.
Old 03-05-12, 12:17 PM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

I am fairly certain the the problem is related to cleaning my throttle body. I have read and talked to others experiencing similar sounds right after cleaning it. I think the clinking sound may be the butterfly valve and the high revving sound has something to do with the TPS which is on the throttle body.
Old 03-08-12, 05:58 AM
Boomer01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Yup that's it. Horrible noise. What is the "silver actuator that works the cam"?
I looked last night. It's the VVT-i actuator.
Old 03-08-12, 08:12 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Boomer01
I looked last night. It's the VVT-i actuator.
Hmmm, going to the shop tomorrow so I will have my mechanic look into it. It would be nice if one little parts solves all three of my noise problems!

Quick Reply: Clinking sound when pressing gas pedal