LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Clinking sound when pressing gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 10:27 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Found this, I think it might be the problem. Apparently there was a TSB for the IS model cars, they had a big problem with them:

"The oil control valve (or OCV) operates the cam gear. The cam gear contains an "actuator" that allows the cam timing to be variable. What I read in the TSIB was there is a lock in the cam gear that is supposed to hold the "actuator" part in a fixed position until the engine's oil pressure is up to standard. In some of the engines the lock is not working correctly and this allows the actuator to float freely until oil pressure comes up and makes a clattering sound until oil pressure is up to normal. Apparently the failures are intermittent and not "hard" failures.

Whether this will affect the service life of the engine is unknown, but it will definitely affect engine performance and emissions control during cold cycle.

I can understand why this may not occur all the time, and why it's more likely on first start of the day after the oil has had some time to drain back into the pan.
"
Old 03-09-12, 02:00 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

So I was at my mechanic's today to get the air conditioning compressor replaced and found out that both radiator cooling fans are not working or just barely intermittently working (which would explain why the air would blow warmer when idling). Sunava*****. More money down the tubes. Anyways since the fans weren't working the tech didn't want to have the car idling to check out the other noises so it'll be a week before I can get the fans fixed and then try to diagnose the clinking and engine knock sound I have.
Old 03-20-12, 01:29 PM
RPINO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up My 08 LS 460 for service at the local Lexus dealer, when I dropped it off I told the service consultant of a ticking noise while idle at a red light, I even sat him on the car and he heard it.

After service the noise still there, I called him and the answer was the car has a pump in front of the engine and the noise is normal. BS it wasn't there before but he had no answers for me just that it was normal and many of his customer had the same noise. Bottom line am open of suggestions, does anyone has the same situation?
Old 03-20-12, 04:31 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Sound like BS. Lexus didn't make a car full of noises that are "normal". Any noticeable unusual noise anywhere is abnormal. Just gotta get used to diagnosing these things yourself...
Old 03-28-15, 12:06 PM
stevenf
Driver School Candidate

I think I am having the same noise on my 2002 LS430, it's not a single clinking, but a burst of quick 10+ clinks when throttle is at a certain very low opening, and it happens both when feathering the pedal and when Cruise Control is feathering the throttle.
Has anyone figured out what was the problem in the end?
Old 03-28-15, 02:12 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevenf
I think I am having the same noise on my 2002 LS430, it's not a single clinking, but a burst of quick 10+ clinks when throttle is at a certain very low opening, and it happens both when feathering the pedal and when Cruise Control is feathering the throttle.
Has anyone figured out what was the problem in the end?
I just recently solved this problem on my car, after four years of trying to figure it out. The problem was a loose driveshaft adjusting nut. This nut tightens the front half of the driveshaft onto the splined end of the rear half of the driveshaft, and is located near the middle of the driveshaft. It is supposed to be torqued to 51 lb ft. Ideally the exhaust resonator assembly needs to be removed for access but I was able to get an adjustable wrench on mine and tighten the nut enough to firm it up and stop the noise. To diagnose this just grab the front driveshaft and turn it quickly back and forth, if it feels loose/rattles then the nut needs to be tightened.

Last edited by ancdmd; 03-28-15 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-28-15, 02:58 PM
stevenf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ancdmd
I just recently solved this problem on my car, after four years of trying to figure it out. The problem was a loose driveshaft adjusting nut. This nut tightens the front half of the driveshaft onto the splined end of the rear half of the driveshaft, and is located near the middle of the driveshaft. It is supposed to be torqued to 59 lb ft. Ideally the exhaust resonator assembly needs to be removed for access but I was able to get an adjustable wrench on mine and tighten the nut enough to firm it up and stop the noise. To diagnose this just grab the front driveshaft and turn it quickly back and forth, if it feels loose/rattles then the nut needs to be tightened.
Thanks for the reply!!! I will look at mine when I got the chance to lift it up.
I saw in the other thread that you had changed engine mount, and driveshaft middle bearing, so those were not the root of the clinking sound?
Old 03-28-15, 03:08 PM
stevenf
Driver School Candidate

Found your other thread answered my above question :-)
linking here for future guys who stumble upon this...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...oosened-2.html
Old 03-28-15, 04:53 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevenf
Thanks for the reply!!! I will look at mine when I got the chance to lift it up.
I saw in the other thread that you had changed engine mount, and driveshaft middle bearing, so those were not the root of the clinking sound?
No they weren't the root of the noise. When I had the motor mounts changed the noise diminished for a couple weeks but then came back, but I'm not sure why. Maybe the motor was repositioned a bit and it changed the driveshaft angle just enough to minimize the noise temporarily, I don't know. When I had the center support bearing changed, the noise did go away for a week or two but then came back. The nut should have been tightened to spec when the driveshaft was re-installed with the new bearing, however either the mechanic didn't tighten it properly or somehow it quickly loosened again.
Old 03-30-15, 03:54 AM
Bob04
Pole Position

Received 157 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by RPINO
I just picked up My 08 LS 460 for service at the local Lexus dealer, when I dropped it off I told the service consultant of a ticking noise while idle at a red light, I even sat him on the car and he heard it.

After service the noise still there, I called him and the answer was the car has a pump in front of the engine and the noise is normal. BS it wasn't there before but he had no answers for me just that it was normal and many of his customer had the same noise. Bottom line am open of suggestions, does anyone has the same situation?
I had the same noise on my 2010 460L. It is the mechanical fuel pumps that feed the direct injection. I will probably get worse over time like mine did. Wasn't there when I bought it either because I checked for it specifically. Sounds like it was running on bad gas. Drove me nuts. Part of the reason I traded back to the 430. That, and the fact that it stayed in the shop all the time. Will never own another LS again until they figure out how to suppress that noise. Probably won't own another one anyway considering all the issues, like the control arms. If I wanted to deal with a bunch of expensive problems, I'd buy a Benz.
Old 07-31-22, 11:34 PM
Afshan
2nd gear

Hi Boomer01,
Have You found out the cause of this Strange clicking sound?, Mine is also having the same as what you described.
if you did solve, please letme know.