LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Time for change from BMW

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 12:23 PM
silver50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for change from BMW

Having had a string of 7 Series BMW's, because i've seen them as excellent value, now may be time to try a Lexus. I was ready for the very latest model 7 Series but they're prohibitively expensive...and not good value! I realise a 6, 7 or 8 year old Lexus LS430 is hugely cheaper...but why not!

I've just been to see a 2003 LS430 at a local car dealer. I didn't drive it today because the battery was flat. I'd quite like to have felt a little more knowledgeable first too. So, can I ask a couple of questions please (some general some specific). I have done a fair bit reading and searching but some clarification would be helpful.

I originally thought UK LS430's needed to be a "premium" or suchlike to have the Mark Levinson sound system, however am I right that this system is actually standard on UK cars, with other things remaining options or part of an upgrade package?

The car I looked at did have the Levinson system. By sheer coincidence when I arrived a car valeter moved this LS to get at a dustbin. It sounded like the battery wasnt A1 which was confirmed 5 mins later. I asked to sit in the car and wanted to have a quick play with some gismos. The radio was on however when I went to change channel the sound seemed to cut. I couldnt get the sound to return. I then tried to start the car again and the starter just clicked because the battery was half dead. Is it quite possible the audio amplifier cut off because of a lack of current, making me wonder what was wrong? Another thing I think was happening was the screen display(nav) seemed to change from the radio stations to navigation without prompting. Could this be normal, even although it seemed odd?

On a more general basis, I can presumably rest assured in the knowledge these cars are actually very reliable but the complexity worrries me when no warranty is withstanding. Is there anything specific to try and watch for when looking at a used car? Any pointers on this forum i've missed regarding this?

One last question, the car I saw today had a setting for sports or normal suspension. Do all UK cars have air suspension? I was reading last night on a US forum not all do, and I think there was possibly a different switch on the console for this?

A great many thanks. I think even if I don't buy this car I might be tempted by another.
Old 10-13-11, 03:06 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome! I can't help you on UK spec cars, but it is normal for the screen to revert from radio or HVAC displays back to the nav display after a number of seconds. I wish it wouldn't do that unless I have a destination programmed into the nav system and it is guiding me.
Old 10-13-11, 03:28 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually that feature is somewhat defeatable. You have to search thru the display options to turn it off. However, if the rear camera is activated it will default back to back once the rear camera goes off.
Old 10-13-11, 03:31 PM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an 03 LS430. I happen to have a 2003 LS430 brochure from the UK. Your cars over there were way ahead of ours in 2003. I'd say its a great value. I've no need for this brochure because the cars are so different from North American models. I got it off ebay. PM me if you might like to have it.

I'm a former bimmer owner and had been for years. However most of my spare time was spent with a wrench fixing them cause they are miserable always broken. I love the bliss of driving an LS (we now own two) and really enjoy the reliability.
Old 10-13-11, 03:38 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i would love to see some UK LS cars..do post some pictures too
Old 10-13-11, 03:57 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The electronics do at up when battery is low and if that's a ul its need that power. How much and many miles does the car have.
Old 10-13-11, 11:18 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Welcome! I can't help you on UK spec cars, but it is normal for the screen to revert from radio or HVAC displays back to the nav display after a number of seconds. I wish it wouldn't do that unless I have a destination programmed into the nav system and it is guiding me.
I *JUST* saw this when I was playing around with the nav system earlier today. I prefer the automatic change back to the map just because I like looking at the map, but if you want it to stay on the climate screen (I do not know if this works for the radio display) press the OPTIONS button, then on the screen press INFORMATION, then SCREEN SETTINGS. One of the options in there is something like "Automatic return to map display from climate control", and you can toggle that on or off.

I'll double check this tomorrow, but I'm 99 percent certain that's how I arrived at that option.
Old 10-14-11, 07:13 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

the value of a bmw 7 series in the states is pretty bad.they loose so much money when they leave the lot it will make your knees knock!
Old 10-14-11, 12:09 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
the value of a bmw 7 series in the states is pretty bad.they loose so much money when they leave the lot it will make your knees knock!
Boy, ain't that the truth. Worse yet, damn near the whole car (from appearance to mechanics) was ruined in form or fashion after 2001.
Old 10-15-11, 11:02 AM
silver50
Driver School Candidate

First off, sincere apologies for not posting back I had my setting at "weekly notification of replies" and was unaware of the replies!

Many thanks to all who replied

The car is a 2003 with 86000 miles. Very dark metallic blue/grey leather. Nav, double glazing, Mark Levinson, sun roof, cooled seats so it must be a pretty well loaded example.

I think the only setting for suspension near the gear shifter was for sport or normal, so assume this for shocks. Don't think it had the switch for raising/lowering etc that it would have if it had air suspension. Which i'd be happy about...

I assume from above it was probably likely the sound cut from the stereo system because the battery was low and the car was not running. If anyone was able to confirm this that would be great but someone would have to have had a low battery for the same thing to have happened...

The rear door window had a strange misty opaque mark, roughly circular about 4" in diameter presumably between double glazed panes. I think this is perhaps called "delamination." Is this a common problem, it looked a bit unsightly?

I am certainly quite interested in this car but as it's the first i've seen (and unfortunately there isn't much else like it near me) I don't want to rush into it unless I feel quite happy and confident in it. It apparently has eight Lexus service stamps which sounds pretty encouraging. Although I quite liked the colour combination, I am a little worried the very dark blue may not appeal all that well for future resale, but I won't let that put me off too much. The dealer selling the car has heard through a friend I have in the motor trade that i'm interested in it, so I am leaving it a few days so as to not look too eager! With the price of fuel here, I have my doubts the car will fly off his forecourt.

Any further help and info very much appreciated. Thanks for making me feel welcome
Old 10-15-11, 01:40 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

i have the dark blue and i love it,every one that sees it always gives the thumbs up.
Old 10-15-11, 02:18 PM
silver50
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
i have the dark blue and i love it,every one that sees it always gives the thumbs up.
Definately classy looking
Old 10-16-11, 12:09 AM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

We looked at a 2003 that had that opaque mark on the side window. Seems to be somewhat common on the older cars.