LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Installing rear sway Bar

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 09:48 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The bolt was extracted after an hour of work from the muffler bro. The bolt that broke off was not actually tightened down yet. For this reason, I would recommend to anyone doing the job that they should replace all the bolts on the sway bar, bushings, and end links. All the hardware down there was rusting on my car, even the sway bar! I think spraying the bolts with some PB Blaster or something like that would be helpful.

I also jacked the car up on the diff and put jack stands under the frame in front of each rear wheel. I did not have to remove a wheel to get the old sway bar out or the new one in place.

So, how important are the sway bar end links, performance wise? Mine are not completely worn out at 160K but I still want to replace them as they might be making noises from time to time..
Old 11-09-15, 04:05 PM
KawiLex
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thoughts on the FEQ sway bar end libks for $21 at partsgeek?
Old 04-22-16, 02:34 AM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Default sway bar

For my car, it was a 12mm and 14mm

Originally Posted by Zodiac
I just did the sport sway bar. It took about an hour. Very easy DIY. You'll need a 10mm and 14mm wrench. 2 10mm nuts (right pic below left circled red) holding metal bushing brackets and 14mm nut (right pic below right circled red) connected to stabilizer links on each side. You'll have to remove at least 1 wheel in order to remove and insert the sway bar. The bushings are made of the same material as the original. The old bushings have 13 written on it and the new bushings have 14 written on it. I didn't notice any spinning nor need to grab anything to prevent spinning as stated by SlyT. I attached a picture of the old and new. Don't know if you can tell from the picture but the sport sway bar is noticeable bigger. And Yes it does corner a little flatter and with less body roll. For $115 upgrade, I would definitely recommend it.
Old 04-28-16, 10:30 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

Doing the sport sway bar and poly bushings sounds like a good idea. What bushings should be replaced in the front?
Old 04-28-16, 07:23 PM
Lzam
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just tried this today and the damn 12mm screws broke right off!
Old 04-29-16, 06:15 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Sport sway bar with poly (non-OEM) bushings will be more stiff and less shock absorbing than OEM sport bushings.
Old 04-29-16, 07:12 AM
XJSFan
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I kept the original sway bars and just fitted new front and rear poly bushings... It made a big difference. Still a great ride but it handles better and does not sway as much. Can really tell when on the freeway during a windy day. I am very happy with my LS.
Old 04-29-16, 09:53 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan
I kept the original sway bars and just fitted new front and rear poly bushings... It made a big difference. Still a great ride but it handles better and does not sway as much. Can really tell when on the freeway during a windy day. I am very happy with my LS.
Good info. I commute alot, and that's one thing that makes me nervous... When the car sways as the wind blows...
Old 05-02-16, 09:14 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Do not remove the height sensor to remove the sway bar. I did that and now mine stop working. afs light kept on blinking.
Old 05-03-16, 09:02 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by XJSFan

You have a link to the bushings you're talking about?
Old 10-27-16, 07:26 PM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RRocket
You have a link to the bushings you're talking about?
Subscribing. will order sport sway bar and bushings as part of upcoming suspension upgrade.
Old 10-27-16, 10:14 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is always ultra racing 28mm front sway bar with poly bushings and rear 19mm sway bar with poly I just ordered both of these I am waiting for them to arrive.
Old 10-28-16, 09:04 AM
bmore430
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jks24
There is always ultra racing 28mm front sway bar with poly bushings and rear 19mm sway bar with poly I just ordered both of these I am waiting for them to arrive.
keep us posted when they arrive and do an install thread. I will order those if everything checks out. I couldn't find them on ebay or ultra racings website. they only listed the strut tower bar for ls430.
Old 10-28-16, 05:49 PM
Jks24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmore430
keep us posted when they arrive and do an install thread. I will order those if everything checks out. I couldn't find them on ebay or ultra racings website. they only listed the strut tower bar for ls430.
I am gonna put the links from amazon for all the schtuff I just bought
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M4GAIV1/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MDJZZC4/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M98JXEK/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M58V6DS/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E6P6NRS/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E6P7SYA/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E6P7TUI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01E6P6IYG/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My women and myself are gonna be taking her ls and mine to Watkins Glen and see how the cars handle.
Old 10-31-16, 07:22 PM
takimanpgt
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bmore430
I have a feeling this gentleman from NY that you want install pics from is just blowing smoke with his extensive mod list. In other words - I call bull**** on anything done to his car. If he even has a car.

Supposedly has an LS1 with T56 swap. And urethane motor mounts. And ultra racing catalog of parts. And BC coilovers. And a wood grain kit. And what not. I have nicely asked for pics multiple times to prove myself wrong. And no comment has been made in return.And no pic either.

So, again, I am no dreamer but I can tell you - there shall be no install thread of any kind with any pics. Prove me wrong and I will admit my instincts were baseless and that I made a crude error in judgement. And take a public flogging on this very LS forum.

Quick Reply: Installing rear sway Bar