LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Watch your surroundings -

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-11, 07:05 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^^^ I concur. I tried this after work yesterday. Works as Jac points out on my "smart key" car too.
Old 02-17-11, 01:13 PM
beneteau
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and this is the one day I leave my heat at home

Never, ever go anywhere without it. Remember American Express: Never leave home without it!

"I'd rather have a gun and not need it---than, need a gun and not have it"
Old 02-17-11, 01:19 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by beneteau

Never, ever go anywhere without it. Remember American Express: Never leave home without it!

yeah it will always be that one time you don't have it something happens
Old 02-17-11, 05:08 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In some ways it's probably good not to carry such a thing. What if they all had guns? There's 3 of them to one of you...pulling out a weapon could worsen the situation.
Old 02-18-11, 12:22 AM
jac430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like it has become a universal problem.

This morning the local newspaper happened to feature an article on car-jacking....
Since the "unification" of Europe (the Euro-zone) the borders are open.
And this attracts all kinds of hoods from the extremely poor countries.
If only the hardworking decent people came over, the problem would not be so enormous, but unfortunately that is not the case.

This country rapidly is becoming much unsafer than it used to be.
Shootings were very rare 30 or 40 years ago, but are on the order of the day now.
A lot of youngsters hide their faces in the hoods of their jackets and people are attacked in their own homes.

By the way, does the laminated glass of our Lexi give some protection?
Or can you smash that almost just as easily?

Just my 2 cents...

Jac
Old 02-18-11, 04:57 AM
fergo308
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
In some ways it's probably good not to carry such a thing. What if they all had guns? There's 3 of them to one of you...pulling out a weapon could worsen the situation.
Not necessarily. Crims usually attack soft targets,to lessen their own potential of getting hurt. If you're armed,and present to them,they're more likely to run than shoot.
Why were there three of them? Because they don't expect one guy to try and take on three empty handed. If you're armed,it's even. You present,tell them to leave you alone,and then leave.
If they're armed as well,so what,defend yourself. 3 on 1 is justifiable in any court,anywhere.

If you're carrying,at least you have a choice. if not,you're just a victim if someone ever tries to attack you.

My workplace suffered an armed robbery late last year,and if I'd had the option to be armed,or have armed security on-site,and as such would have been able to possibly prevent the crime even happening,versus being put on the floor at knifepoint like I was while three men smashed up our shop and stole from us because I wasn't allowed the means to protect myself,I'd have slept much better afterwards than I did.

Bottom line,do all that you can to not get into a bad situation in the first place. Be alert,and mindful of your surroundings,and if something doesn't feel right,get out of there,NOW.
But in the end,if you can't get away,I hope you've done your best to have the means available to defend yourself.

Justin...
Old 02-18-11, 06:33 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Good points - carrying outside the house is a tough call. First its a pain to do, second and more important you have to have a lot of training and experience in order to make life changing decisions at lightning speed in terms of using the weapon. I personally don't feel qualified to carry outside the house. I'd be so scared I would end up shooting myself or an innocent bystander.

However if my wife and I are woken up in the middle of the night by someone breaking into my house, then they have made most of the decisions for me, and they will immediately be meeting my stainless steel friend - Mr Ruger.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 02-18-11 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-18-11, 09:54 AM
beneteau
Driver

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Thugs nowadays will kill you for no reason at all. I live in a suburb of Memphis and Memphis is ranked 6th most dangerous city in the US and most thugs carry guns. If you think the "cops" are going to protect you, think again. The main job of police is to "investigate", after the fact. Look at the stats of places (states) that allow "carry license" and you'll see that crime has dropped. Look at Chicago----has very restrictive gun laws and very high crime.

I'll keep "carrying" everywhere I go.
Old 02-18-11, 10:29 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thugs nowadays will kill you for no reason at all. I live in a suburb of Memphis and Memphis is ranked 6th most dangerous city in the US and most thugs carry guns. If you think the "cops" are going to protect you, think again. The main job of police is to "investigate", after the fact. Look at the stats of places (states) that allow "carry license" and you'll see that crime has dropped. Look at Chicago----has very restrictive gun laws and very high crime.

I'll keep "carrying" everywhere I go.
I do agree that it depends on the situation/location. My permanent address is in Ann Arbor (where my family lives). It's a smaller town that's quite boring, but at the same time it means safe (I've left one of my past cars out by the sidewalk doors unlocked and it was still there a few days later). Therefore, I never feel the need to carry a weapon. I go to school in Lansing (which is the capital, but the school is in a decent area so again, no need for me to carry a weapon). However, if you do live in an area where everyone has a gun and murder rates are high...by all means you need to carry something at all times. Least it gives you a fighting chance if things really do get that ugly.
Old 02-18-11, 10:36 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i have been in a couple road rage incidents and i can honestly say that in 2 of them if i had a gun on me i would have pulled it out and in 1 of the road rage incidents the other guy had a gun on a strap that i could see so it would have been a road range incident instead of a road rage incident.

i would have pulled out my gun and then i would have had to shoot as soon as the other guy started for his. this would have been a lot worse than the 2 of us cusing at each other and standing close enough to make out, then getting back in our cars and driving off... thankfully he had the the brains enough to realize he could have kicked my *** without having to pull out his weapon, i on the other hand felt threatened enough that i would have pulled it out right then and there and started to go back for my big *** knife when he clearly displayed his strap to me at which point i got in my car and drove off very frightened.

i did have a gun pulled on me when i was a youth and it was not a fun experience. i think all guns should go away except for those specifically designed for hunting animals...

ban all handguns and those who don't have hunting licenses...

i was once in handcuffs on the ground with a loaded m16 pointed at my head by an 18 year old kid... this was an experience i wish i didn't have to go through again,,,

and yes i expect this thread to get blown up and to be eventually closed

Last edited by sojah; 02-18-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-18-11, 11:09 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

^^^

Back on original subject, I take it you are stating to avoid situations that can cause road rage or highten frustrations. noted!

I hate to get on the gun subject - but we all have a right to bear arms - it's your choice if you want to carry or not - it's that simple. I know several people that can get handguns from anywhere, they don't have to be purchased legally - therefore if guns are banned, mostly crooks will have posession of them while they are being taken from the honest hard-working citizens? - that will never happen.

well, rant on if you want about guns and consequences, but be advised that it's a highly controversial subject just like a...an.... - should I dare say it?? "oil thread"

so anyways keep the safety tips coming fellas, it could help save a life.

Last edited by Marklouis; 02-18-11 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 12:05 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
... well, rant on if you want about guns and consequences, but be advised that it's a highly controversial subject just like a...an.... - should I dare say it?? "oil thread" ...
... or a transmission fluid thread?

I support the right to bear arms (concealed or open), but acknowledge, as eloquently stated by Jabberwock, there is a high degree of responsibility that accompanies the exercise of that right.
Old 02-18-11, 01:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
... or a transmission fluid thread?

I support the right to bear arms (concealed or open), but acknowledge, as eloquently stated by Jabberwock, there is a high degree of responsibility that accompanies the exercise of that right.
Caddy - OK now you did it - you couldn't leave well enough alone - we were having a nice debate on guns and you have to go and throw down the "tranny" word - now its on : )

Seroiusly - All I can say is TGIF!
Old 02-18-11, 01:04 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jabberwock

Seroiusly - All I can say is TGIF!
Friggin Ditto!! 3 day weekend woohoo!!

Last edited by Marklouis; 02-18-11 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-18-11, 06:05 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

We should all carry machetes for personal protection, then u know there was some serious pre meditation involved.

I bet those would be crooks would not have messed with u if u had a machette on your hip.

Quick Reply: Watch your surroundings -