A/C Refresher Kit - How the Techs Use It

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 06:03 AM
pizitz70
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C Refresher Kit - How the Techs Use It

Hi folks,

I am looking for input from an actual certified Toyota or Lexus technician. I want to know the exact procedure of how the dealer tech’s use the A/C Refresher Kit on a 2001 LS430 (and a ’99 GS300 if possible). The kit can be seen here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1999/4481.html Part number: 00289ACRKT. It is a two step process. I’ve read some unofficial forums talk about injecting the foam directly into the evaporator drain tube. I think that how it’s done, but would like some clarification on the entire process speaking to exactly how Lexus tech’s do it.

No offense to anyone, but I’m not interested in any methods of using Lysol (or any other like-chemical) sprayed directly into the cowl or interior vent; or replacing any of the cabin filters.

As always, thanks to everyone who reads and replies.
-Brian
The following users liked this post:
ferliz (02-26-20)
Old 02-11-11, 12:14 PM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the bottom of the page there is some info on how its used.

http://www.justanswer.com/lexus/423j...ldew-mold.html
Old 05-12-11, 10:38 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Your dealer has a foaming cleaner available to them it is Toyota part number 00289-ACRKT. This product is put into the air box through the evaporator drain and comes out as a foam. The drain remains plugged while the cleaner is in, and then drained after about 10 minutes.
Brian, were you able to use this product yourself, and if so, could you provide any additional details?
Old 05-14-11, 12:37 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes please, my 2004 LS430 smells funny when turning the AC on for the first couple of minutes.
Old 06-24-11, 04:33 AM
ogriebl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I also bought the A/C refresher kit but I can't find the evaporator drain tube (2001 LS430). Does anyone have a good picture of where the evaporator drain tube is located?
I have looked at some parts diagrams online but they dont show the location of the tube in relation to the underbody of the car. Please help!
Old 09-27-11, 09:29 PM
skassamali
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone figured out how to use this product?
Old 09-28-11, 09:24 AM
skassamali
Driver

And would I have to get the car up on stands to get access? Or if I could get one side of the car jacked up, that would be enough? O'Reilly has a 2-ton jack for $25 today. Not sure if that'll be all I need to perform this task.
Old 04-03-13, 07:41 AM
ilovett76
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a video explaining the use of the product. I hope it works well.

Old 06-21-13, 06:50 PM
Iknowspurg
Driver

excellent
Old 06-21-13, 07:54 PM
tcr101
Lead Lap

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...efreshing.html

Take a look at the photos I attached to find the drain tube. There is one for each side
Old 06-22-13, 07:13 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pizitz70
Hi folks,

I am looking for input from an actual certified Toyota or Lexus technician. I want to know the exact procedure of how the dealer tech’s use the A/C Refresher Kit on a 2001 LS430 (and a ’99 GS300 if possible). The kit can be seen here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...1999/4481.html Part number: 00289ACRKT. It is a two step process. I’ve read some unofficial forums talk about injecting the foam directly into the evaporator drain tube. I think that how it’s done, but would like some clarification on the entire process speaking to exactly how Lexus tech’s do it.

No offense to anyone, but I’m not interested in any methods of using Lysol (or any other like-chemical) sprayed directly into the cowl or interior vent; or replacing any of the cabin filters.
-Brian
I am a certified Lexus technician, and the Toyota kit to which you refer involves spraying a Lysol-like chemical directly into the cowl, (this is the second half of the procedure, the first half is a mystery chemical foam right on the evaporator fins via the drain tubes) so kind of at a loss here on what you want!

what is wrong with the Lysol method or else isopropyl alcohol into the fresh air cowl intake that has worked wonderfully on vehicles since the 1960's?
Old 06-23-13, 06:06 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

All you want to do is kill any bacteria or mold. Just get the stuff in there as described above or however you can.
Old 06-26-13, 11:05 AM
anthony430
Rookie

I recently purchased the Toyota A/C Refresher Kit and followed the instructions in the video (except I didn't jack up the car, just slid slightly under it while parked and hooked up to the passenger side drain tube). The A/C smells incredibly fresh now... couldn't be happier with the results!
Old 06-26-13, 05:24 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

I also used the Toyota AC kit, and it was money well spent. In the future, this is the kit I will likely buy for even non-Toyota vehicles.

Before, my car had a sort of moldy "****" smell when I turned on the AC, now it's gone.

I will say though the kit is a little pricey and it seems to be way more than you really need for just one vehicle, after a while it seems just superfluous as it's just more and more "foam" shooting to the same place that is a small area. I would easily bet you could use it on 2 vehicles and have the same effect.

Still, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. My wife loves that my car now smells fresh, she was always complaining about it.

I have sprayed Lysol in the cowl of some cars and even the automotive versions of the same thing. It helps, but it doesn't really destroy the problem. Shooting the foam directly into the evaporator with this kit goes right where mold and mildew start. The 2nd part of the kit is more like the Lysol solution.
Old 06-26-13, 07:24 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I do something to help prevent this problem .... I always turn the A/C off and keep the fan running for the last 2 minutes of a drive. I was told this helps reduce the water condensation in the A/C system, and a drier system means less opportunity for bacteria or mold to grow.

It may be total nonsense, but I have never had a issue with bad smelling A/C .... ever !

Quick Reply: A/C Refresher Kit - How the Techs Use It