LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Programing garage door opener???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-10, 06:58 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got mine to work last sunday after 1.5 days of fiddling around with it. You must accept that homelink is slow as *insert personal word choice here*. When they say hold it for 30 sec, hold it for 30sec or more b/c that's how long it really takes. The manual is actually spot on. I just skimmed it the first few times. Read the thing word by word, you will get it to work. I felt like I just conquered the world after seeing my garage door open via my homelink.
Old 09-02-10, 08:02 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

At least with the LS430, the garage door opener works when the car is not on. In my Subaru, it only works when the key is turned on. That's handy for security if I park my car outside the garage at night. But, it's annoying if I'm inside the garage and would rather have the door open before I start the engine.
Old 09-02-10, 06:58 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^This is true. I guess I was a bit frustrated because it was really hot outside, and our garage was extra humid. I didn't even want to set foot inside my car b/c I was sweating all over. Works like a charm now so I'm feeling
Old 09-05-13, 05:27 PM
ILLENAR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home link programming

I have tried everything to program my 2000 ls400

Can the car unit be bad.?

It works fine for my gate but not with the remote for the Wayne dalton quantum.

ILLENAR

Last edited by ILLENAR; 09-05-13 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Wrong name
Old 09-06-13, 04:56 PM
430drvr
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem a few years back in my '04 LS. Lightning strike took out an opener, and I couldn't get the new one to hook up. What finally worked was erasing the car's Homelink memory completely and starting over (see p. 123 of Owner's Manual). That apparently was different from trying to program over the old setting.
Old 12-27-13, 07:48 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to clarify here, I just got a Chamberlain whisper belt drive and a Genie quiet belt drive, both had to be programmed this way, which if you read the manual is not really crystal clear, but hopefully this will be:

1. program the handheld garage door opener to the garage door opener first and make sure it works.
2. press (and hold) the handheld garage door opener along with the button in the LS that you want the garage door opener to be, simultaneously together for 20+ seconds until the red light starts to flash rapidly, then release the buttons.
3. go to your garage door opener and press the "learn" button, you have about 30 seconds to finish the next part.
4. go back to your car and press the button that you previously selected for about 2 seconds and release. Repeat the pressing and release a few more presses. Should take it by no more than 4th press.
5. done

I read some posts about Chamberlain giving repeaters and other attachments to make this work, well this same procedure worked with my '99 RX as well, so can't imagine that any firmware update on newer units would not work on our Lexus'. If above doesn't work, then something is wrong.
Old 12-27-13, 07:35 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja

I read some posts about Chamberlain giving repeaters and other attachments to make this work, well this same procedure worked with my '99 RX as well, so can't imagine that any firmware update on newer units would not work on our Lexus'. If above doesn't work, then something is wrong.
You better believe that some of the Chamberlain units won't program right out of the box. On Nov 12, 2012 I purchased and installed a Chamberlain HD920EV (belt drive with battery back up). The homelink in my 04 UL would not connect. I'm an Aerospace Engineer and know how to read manuals and follow instructions. I finally called Chamberlain and they connected me with a person in Tucson. She explained that Chamberlain had incorporated the very latest high-tech Homelink in the new garage door opener. Unfortunately, this new version is the first they have released that is not backward compatible. It is serial encrypted and requires a repeater for older versions of Homelink that is not encrypted. My vehicle qualifies for a free repeater but I have to pay $7 shipping charge.

The "repeater" is an electronic device that you plug into an electrical socket in your garage and it then receives your wireless signal from the car and then translates an unecrypted signal to the new opener. That means the device must always be in the garage and plugged into an electrical socket. It will have to be programmed to accept the car signal.

That also means that when the house loses electricity, then the "repeater" will also shut down and not be able to receive the signal from the car to open the garage. Therefore the battery backup that is incorporated in the new high-end model opener will not open when the electrical power is lost!!!!!! She suggested that I store one of the door openers that came with the unit in case of this happening.

I did order the "repeater", installed and it allowed me to then connect with the homelink in my car.

I would hope that by now that Chamberlain had fixed their unacceptable programming so it would be backward compatible.

Moral of the story. Not all is as simple as it seems to us and there are many times when things we are unaware of cause us to make incorrect conclusions.
Old 12-28-13, 08:29 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well that really sucks...guess maybe a fix by Chamberlain was done. However, if power is out in the house, wouldnt the garage door not work with or without a repeater?
Old 12-29-13, 06:33 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Well that really sucks...guess maybe a fix by Chamberlain was done. However, if power is out in the house, wouldnt the garage door not work with or without a repeater?
When the power goes out in the house, the power to the repeater also goes out, making it impossible to signal the opener to activate even though it has an internal battery. Chamberlains advice was to carry the remote that came with the opener in your car, as it can communicate with the garage door opener. But, this still leaves the homelink unavailable in your car.

Faulty design. Stupid is, as stupid does.

Last edited by jayclapp; 12-29-13 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-06-14, 06:21 AM
Dannysonjr
Driver School Candidate

I have issue with 05 homelink too. No indicator light shown when pressed any button. Is it any switch or battery that supply power to it?
Old 05-05-16, 04:50 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This link helped me accomplish this task easily. I highly recommend it.
But I'm sure someone has already described these very steps,
Just trying to help,

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1915823-g...05_lexus_ls430