LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS 430 Mark Levinson Sub woofer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 06:37 AM
Lyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 430 Mark Levinson Sub woofer

I recently blew my sub on 2004 Ls 430 with Mark Levinston system. I read forums for the gs models but I cant find any for the LS models. I'm new to CL so please be patient with me. I want to keep the stock ML system including amp but looking to replace sub. ML is over $300 through lexus. I've heard JL audio, Kicker, really heard that all free air sub will work. I reaching out to my new CL family to steer me in the right direction. I'm damn near 40 so I'm not looking for earth shattering bass. I was happy with the clean sound of the ML sub until it blew. I listen to jazz, r&b. Looking to replace the sub hopefully this weekend. I'm in the Socal area.

Last edited by Lyman; 06-03-10 at 06:38 AM. Reason: change title
Old 06-03-10, 08:56 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to page 4 in this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...he-boom-4.html
Old 06-03-10, 05:22 PM
LUCK430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lyman
I recently blew my sub on 2004 Ls 430 with Mark Levinston system. I read forums for the gs models but I cant find any for the LS models. I'm new to CL so please be patient with me. I want to keep the stock ML system including amp but looking to replace sub. ML is over $300 through lexus. I've heard JL audio, Kicker, really heard that all free air sub will work. I reaching out to my new CL family to steer me in the right direction. I'm damn near 40 so I'm not looking for earth shattering bass. I was happy with the clean sound of the ML sub until it blew. I listen to jazz, r&b. Looking to replace the sub hopefully this weekend. I'm in the Socal area.
I just had to replace my front door speakers and the sub in my LS. I went to several stereo shops and was told that any aftermarket speakers I replaced them with wouldnt sound asweell as the Levinson speakers. So after spending$900 at my local Lexus dealership, im very satisfied and have no complaints. Just an FYI Lyman.
Old 06-04-10, 07:55 PM
biga27110
Rookie

Originally Posted by LUCK430
I just had to replace my front door speakers and the sub in my LS. I went to several stereo shops and was told that any aftermarket speakers I replaced them with wouldnt sound asweell as the Levinson speakers. So after spending$900 at my local Lexus dealership, im very satisfied and have no complaints. Just an FYI Lyman.
they told me the same thing, they just arent smart enough i replaced my fronts only with aftermarket alpines and they sound way better than stock, i was actually impressed and i know good speakers. I didnt expect them to be that good since your changing the entire system with diff speakers.
Old 06-06-10, 08:11 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Check the resistance of the sub and try and match it with aftermarket speakers.
Old 06-23-10, 06:43 PM
dubsta1
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by biga27110
they told me the same thing, they just arent smart enough i replaced my fronts only with aftermarket alpines and they sound way better than stock, i was actually impressed and i know good speakers. I didnt expect them to be that good since your changing the entire system with diff speakers.
which alpines did you use?
Old 06-23-10, 06:47 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

From reading the vast amount of posts on this very subject, it seems to be somewhat risky for the amp to replace the subwoofer with anything other than the factory speaker. I haven't read anything to reassure me that there are members out there using a replacement subwoofer (with the factory amp and no modifications) for any significant period of time without issues. If it were to work, there are still the issues of modifying the rear deck parcel etc, to accomodate the replacement subwoofer.

Last edited by Bocatrip; 06-23-10 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-12-14, 09:18 PM
cmurphy5
Driver School Candidate

Default Idea?

Hey everyone i'm new to the forum

I have an 04 ls430 and am looking to do some maintenance this coming december (i.e replace blown speakers and tweeters, fix door lock actuator, telescopic steering wheel motor, etc). I thought of something, since one of my blown speakers happens to be the mark levinson subwoofer that came with the car, that i could take the alpine type s subwoofer that i already have and put it in place of the OEM sub. For one thing, would this work? and two, it's a 12'. could i expand the hole a bit to make it fit? i'm really curious to turn my boxed sub into a free air sub, along with some other mods to the sub due to some connection details when it comes to wiring the sub itself to the amp.
Old 11-14-14, 07:38 AM
jnzls430
Driver School Candidate

I recently replaced the ML sub in my 430. A 12" probably would fit, but the modifications to make it fit would be difficult to say the least. I actually went with Pyle PLPW8D 8-Inch 800 Watt Dual 4 Ohm Subwoofer , wired in series to produce an 8 ohm load. Sounds just as good as the ML for a fraction of the cost.

UPDATE: I have to report that the Pyle subwoofer was a waste of time and money. I ended up replacing the Pyle with a dual voice coil Planet Audio 8" subwoofer. The sound quality exceeds that of the ML for a very reasonable cost.

Last edited by jnzls430; 01-01-16 at 02:56 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-14-14, 04:03 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 269 Likes on 226 Posts

As many owners will attest, my subwoofer was blown when I purchased my 01 LS430 4 1/2 years ago. I originally had the subwoofer refoamed and reinstalled and it lasted over 4 years before it failed. At that point, considering the labor to remove the rear seat, I decided to replace the subwoofer with OEM ML. I'm glad I did. If I get another 4 years out of it, I'm ahead of the game and my Amp is still working and the sound is great for a 15 year old car! Yes the subwoofer is expensive, but my car is worth it.
Old 01-20-17, 07:49 PM
whenagain
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to thank everyone in this forum for their helpfulness. I just did this job last weekend after everything I've learned from here, and ended up making a step-by-step
for it.
Hope it helps the next person searching for clues.
The following 5 users liked this post by whenagain:
Atomsplitr (04-07-17), chavie (01-30-17), daxia (04-07-17), DomeSL (01-21-17), Lexusombre (04-07-17)
Old 01-21-17, 04:56 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Nice video. Same sub I used 2 years ago. Holding up fine.
Old 01-21-17, 05:15 AM
truongsean
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi whenagain,

Would you be interested in selling me your old ML subwoofer?

thanks,
Sean
Old 04-07-17, 12:30 AM
Lexusombre
Driver School Candidate

Whenagain,
Well done on this video, it really helped me understand the task at hand and how to successfully remove the components to reach the speaker.

Thanks.

Last edited by Lexusombre; 04-07-17 at 12:32 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention the person that posted the video.
Old 04-09-17, 01:02 PM
OttomLexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by truongsean
hi whenagain,

Would you be interested in selling me your old ML subwoofer?

thanks,
Sean
yes, I have sub to give

Quick Reply: LS 430 Mark Levinson Sub woofer