Sentinel
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long do these last. Ive noticed recently coils seem to last about 25k
Old 03-13-12, 02:26 PM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations. I guess I will be doing the same thing soon.
Old 11-11-12, 10:06 AM
landship
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Seancott
First and foremost, the ride is awesome! There were 0 problems with the coil overs, the hard part was removing the the back seats in the UL version. It took a good deal of effort to get the new coil overs on the back, the control arms had to be pressed down just enough to slide the new Megans on. I left the dampers at the factory settings but had to raise the front by almost 2 inches cause it was too low for my taste. The rear I raised 2 inches prior to installing them too. In the end though, it rides way nicer than factory in my opinion, even has a sportier feel around corners!
Hi Seancott, my names is Tim. 96 ls400 w/116,000 miles. Everything is just fine except for the darnair suspension. I was glad to read your post on the issues you had with the Strutmasters and the success of the Megans. My question is, can I replace/convert my car with the Megans???
i am thinking about the EZ Street line they have, just slightly more expensive than the Strutmasters and based on your post a much better product.
Let me know, i appreciate it.
Thank you.
Old 11-12-12, 07:08 AM
Seancott
Driver School Candidate

Default Megan racing coilovers

Originally Posted by landship
Hi Seancott, my names is Tim. 96 ls400 w/116,000 miles. Everything is just fine except for the darnair suspension. I was glad to read your post on the issues you had with the Strutmasters and the success of the Megans. My question is, can I replace/convert my car with the Megans???
i am thinking about the EZ Street line they have, just slightly more expensive than the Strutmasters and based on your post a much better product.
Let me know, i appreciate it.
Thank you.
I'm not 100% sure on that. I had a 2000 LS400 that these same Megan's I have for the 430 would work for. Here's a link for the kit for 95-00 LS (not sure if this link posting is legal but can't be that bad!) http://www.meganracing.com/product.a...=1061&catid=86

Good luck man, I'm still enjoying mine after 3000 miles!

Btw the conversion is simply just pulling the fuse for the air compressor and then just cutting the air lines from each individual air strut, it's pretty straight forward.

Last edited by Seancott; 11-12-12 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Left one part out
Old 11-12-12, 08:52 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, cut it all and have nonworking VSC, headlight leveling and errors all over the screens.
Old 11-12-12, 01:56 PM
landship
Driver School Candidate

OK, this is great. Thanx for the info so quick. I called Megan and spoke to their tech dept, they said their product fits right in, the part # you supplied. Ordered them. They mentioned the only issue will be a light on the dash for the air system. But, based on your post this is not an issue? If everything is properly disabled. I am going to do the prep(get the back seat out!!!) Any tricks to that, or just perseverance and a good memory?
Thank you so much, the car is really nice, just rides like s#$t...
Old 11-19-12, 07:41 AM
Seancott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Yes, cut it all and have nonworking VSC, headlight leveling and errors all over the screens.
None of this has happened to me. My VSC still kicks on when the tires skid, and haven't gotten a single error. Not from an '01 at least.
Old 11-19-12, 07:55 AM
Seancott
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by landship
OK, this is great. Thanx for the info so quick. I called Megan and spoke to their tech dept, they said their product fits right in, the part # you supplied. Ordered them. They mentioned the only issue will be a light on the dash for the air system. But, based on your post this is not an issue? If everything is properly disabled. I am going to do the prep(get the back seat out!!!) Any tricks to that, or just perseverance and a good memory?
Thank you so much, the car is really nice, just rides like s#$t...
My dash lights showing sport mode and height still show, I haven't had any headlight errors or any of that. The car rides awesome, you'll be real happy with them. The back seat in my 2001 was a PITA for real! Getting under the back "dash board" was knuckle busting, I did bleed a little but I got it done! I'd suggest going to Harbor Freight and getting some cheap mechanic's gloves if you don't own any. Also I had to buy an impact wrench and sockets from HF too. The bolts on the lower strut braces were a trial by the gods to get off! Even the impact wrench was cursing. Use some penetrating spray and maybe a little heat and they come off. I still haven't done this yet but the car rides fine, get a professional alignment after you're done. You'd probably be fine without it but it can't hurt. When need a little extra help, use your car jack to hold things up etc. enjoy!

Last edited by Seancott; 11-19-12 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Old 12-02-12, 06:45 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Seancott
My dash lights showing sport mode and height still show, I haven't had any headlight errors or any of that. The car rides awesome, you'll be real happy with them. The back seat in my 2001 was a PITA for real! Getting under the back "dash board" was knuckle busting, I did bleed a little but I got it done! I'd suggest going to Harbor Freight and getting some cheap mechanic's gloves if you don't own any. Also I had to buy an impact wrench and sockets from HF too. The bolts on the lower strut braces were a trial by the gods to get off! Even the impact wrench was cursing. Use some penetrating spray and maybe a little heat and they come off. I still haven't done this yet but the car rides fine, get a professional alignment after you're done. You'd probably be fine without it but it can't hurt. When need a little extra help, use your car jack to hold things up etc. enjoy!
I think you'd want to get that alignment done ASAP. You may be wearing your tires quickly if anything's off (even if the car doesn't 'pull').
I just picked up a full set of OEM Sport struts & springs to swap into my 03 UL. Cost was $150 for all four corners. My air sus still works (I think?) but I don't like the ride much. I like the Sport ride better. The sport I got them from had 31K when they were pulled in favor of BC coilovers. Don't know when I'll get around to swapping them but I'm excited! STEEL IS REAL!
Old 12-05-12, 04:39 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are installing Megan's something that is fairly easy to do with normal tools?
Old 12-10-12, 07:05 PM
Seancott
Driver School Candidate

Default Megan Racing Coilovers

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
Are installing Megan's something that is fairly easy to do with normal tools?
I wouldn't say easy, an impact wrench makes things a little easier. The bolts on my 01 UL were pretty snug, there was no way my noodle arms were getting them loosened with a ratchet! Harbor Freight has a cheap (ahem....inexpensive) impact wrench for around 40 bananas.
Old 04-08-16, 07:22 PM
Motoverda
Driver School Candidate

Angry LS430 Air Suspension Conversion

I have seen a lot of opinions regarding the coilovers but I'm still not sure I want them on the LS430. I want to stay as close to the OEM ride quality on the LS, and I know it won't be air suspension smooth. A little firmness would be ok. I have Megan coilovers on a SC430, 06, and if the coilovers for the LS are anywhere near the ride of the SC then I need something more forgiving. So, can someone tell me how is the ride quality of the coilovers compared a to standard LS430 non air suspension car? Sport and custom. Thanks for your opinion
Old 04-08-16, 08:14 PM
Motoverda
Driver School Candidate

I saw your 2012 post. I have seen a lot of opinions regarding the coilovers but I'm still not sure I want them on the LS430. I want to stay as close to the OEM ride quality on the LS, and I know it won't be air suspension smooth. A little firmness would be ok. I have Megan coilovers on a SC430, 06, and if the coilovers for the LS are anywhere near the ride of the SC then I need something more forgiving. So, can someone tell me how is the ride quality of the coilovers compared a to standard LS430 non air suspension car? Sport and custom. Thanks for your opinion
Old 04-11-16, 01:47 AM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motoverda
I have seen a lot of opinions regarding the coilovers but I'm still not sure I want them on the LS430. I want to stay as close to the OEM ride quality on the LS, and I know it won't be air suspension smooth. A little firmness would be ok. I have Megan coilovers on a SC430, 06, and if the coilovers for the LS are anywhere near the ride of the SC then I need something more forgiving. So, can someone tell me how is the ride quality of the coilovers compared a to standard LS430 non air suspension car? Sport and custom. Thanks for your opinion
I never rode in the standard suspension car. I did the switch from the Air suspension to the Megan's and I have no regrets. It had it set to the medium settings and it was soft enough without the side ways rocking I got from the air.
Old 04-18-16, 11:15 AM
Seancott
Driver School Candidate

Default Megan coil over ride.

Originally Posted by chris81964
I never rode in the standard suspension car. I did the switch from the Air suspension to the Megan's and I have no regrets. It had it set to the medium settings and it was soft enough without the side ways rocking I got from the air.
I'm still riding on mine after 4 years and they're still lovely. From what I remember the air ride was much softer and "cloudier" these. coilovers provide a stiffer and sportier ride. They are quite adjustable but I have not messed with them much from the factory settings outside of the ride height. I was thinking of softening the damper adjustments but the car rides fine. my 2000 LS400 is gone and I have a 2012 Infiniti G37 now, it's a fun, fast car especially with the stillen CAI but I miss that LS, Toyota/Lexus is the best of the Japanese car makers in my opinion, fit and finish and quality is just far superior to all the others.

Quick Reply: air suspension conversion