LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Picking Nits

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 12:06 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

- Removal of Nav Override in Gen3 map updates (at least starting at 7.1).
Agreed, I just got my hands on a hybird disc for Gen 4 v 8.? that will let me use the overide again, I need to test it out when I get a chance.

- Puddle lamps on side mirrors are not bright enough.
Swap mine out with LED's, plenty bright now and pretty easy to do.

- Diminished sensitivity of smog sensor over time.
There is a DIY on how to clean the smog sensor that might solve your problem.

- The trunk doesn't pop up high enough when released.
Agreed
Old 03-31-10, 12:16 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Now i know if i want something critiqued, i'll just bring it to Club Lexus. If Lexus made it perfect from the beginning there would be no "pursuit" of perfection IMHO! and Just think if the same question were asked in an MB forum. The discussion would go for days.
Old 03-31-10, 01:54 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
You guys are forgetting that when you move your seat back the headrest goes up in proportion to the height of the tall folk's head. If it stays low, the tall folks will sue b/c it acts like a fulcrum and major neck injuries in a rear-ender accident....................we had an old thread on this.........dang that was a mouthful

If you set it to memory driver's 1 and 2, you won't have this problem
Quoted for others who may not have noticed this. It solved the annoyance for me -- programmed the presets, and it goes no higher than the highest preset.
STUPID cup holder design
I like the cupholder a lot -- better than MB, better than BMW, better than Audi, and better than domestic and Japanese rentals that I can recall... What do you not like about it?

LOL If you want a stupid cupholder, check out some of the older Volvos (not sure about the new ones). The cupholder is on the console box LID, so if you open the console lid you dump your drink in the back floorboard.

I guess the LS suits me better than most -- I find practically none of the items complained about here to bother me at all.
Old 03-31-10, 02:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

You want to see some bad cupholders? check out the cupholders in SLK280/350 - it hangs your drink in a flimsy pop out ring right above center stack controls and radio switches. Ergonomics by Scooby-doo. An accident waiting to happen - fortunately repair/replace on MB radios and interior electronics/switches is very reasonable ; )
Old 03-31-10, 02:56 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing that has me surprised that no one has mentioned is the location of the trunk lid release on the bottom of the dash. I typically leave the keys inside my cars when in my garage and if I need to get into the trunk then it is a pain to have to practically get into the car to release it when both cars are parked in the garage and the door won't be able to swing wide open. It would have been a far better location if they were on the driver door armrest instead for easier access.

Also, hate the cup holders...totally useless, don't mind the slow opening of the sunglass holder and to me the trunk opens just far enough and keeps out the rain.

Otherwise, the two best cars I've ever owned.
Old 03-31-10, 03:25 PM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think the design of the REAR cupholders sucks. To use them you lose the cushioned armrest and are stuck with ridges of hard plastic.

I don't have a problem with the front cupholders, but I don't usually trust them, either. I rest my right arm lightly on the top of my drink when cornering.
Old 03-31-10, 05:18 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LSGarry
One thing that has me surprised that no one has mentioned is the location of the trunk lid release on the bottom of the dash. I typically leave the keys inside my cars when in my garage and if I need to get into the trunk then it is a pain to have to practically get into the car to release it when both cars are parked in the garage and the door won't be able to swing wide open. It would have been a far better location if they were on the driver door armrest instead for easier access.

Also, hate the cup holders...totally useless, don't mind the slow opening of the sunglass holder and to me the trunk opens just far enough and keeps out the rain.

Otherwise, the two best cars I've ever owned.
No problem with the trunk here. My 04 UL is keyless. Never have the key out of my pocket to leave in the car. Love it.

Maybe we should start a thread about the things we couldn't do without in our LS's. But then again maybe not. That might consume a hundred pages and never end. LOL
Old 04-01-10, 07:22 PM
spender
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main thing that drives me crazy is how when you start up a model with nav, it always takes the audio (CD or ipod) a while to start, and if you happen to want to back up, you have the "audio information bar" across the top of the backup camera... Would be nice if they had disabled this "audio information bar" when in reverse...
Old 04-01-10, 07:43 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What about the option to hide the Odometer reading?? The LS430 is the only car I've ever owned (With a digital reading) that wouldn't hide the odometer. I am near 180K on my clock, and I just sometimes don't want to see that number. I'd much rather only see my Tripometer.
Old 04-05-10, 08:13 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

Regarding the power headrest comments, it appears to be a CBEST setting and can be disabled:

Old 04-05-10, 09:57 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

My personal issues:
1. Cooled seats are no match for my ES (either of them) or my Navigator.
2. The amount that the glove box DOESN'T open.
3. Smart Key access... I am a bit perplexed about my smart key. I grab the driver's door and they all unlock. In my ES if I grab the drivers then that is the only one that unlocks. I grab the others and they all unlock. I have played with the settings on the LS but I get all or nothing....
Old 04-05-10, 09:57 AM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Hook 'em!!!!
Old 04-05-10, 10:30 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kg19989
My personal issues:

3. Smart Key access... I am a bit perplexed about my smart key. I grab the driver's door and they all unlock. In my ES if I grab the drivers then that is the only one that unlocks. I grab the others and they all unlock. I have played with the settings on the LS but I get all or nothing....
This is an easy fix, you can set it your LS to how many which door/s you want to unlock....

-With the SmartKey in your hand hold down the lock and trunk buttons at the same time.

-On the IC display it will cycle through three setup options.

-One of those options is to open all of the doors.
Old 04-05-10, 02:32 PM
wildace
Pole Position

So the cooling seats aren't that strong on either gen? I haven't had the pleasure to use them yet so I don't know.
Old 04-05-10, 05:50 PM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by wildace
So the cooling seats aren't that strong on either gen? I haven't had the pleasure to use them yet so I don't know.
I've read this complaint several times, but they work okay, IMO. Even my black seats here in FL cool off satisfatorily quick. <shrug> Then again, I was never expecting them to levitate me like a puck on an air-hockey table

Quick Reply: Picking Nits