Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 12:40 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 10k oil change in 2010 Lexus...

Hey yall, I saw this in LS460 forum...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-oil-used.html

I've been doing Synthetic Oil Changes in my LS430 every 5k, man have I been wasting my $$$??? What do you guys think on this matter regards to our LS430??? Can we switch over to 10k as well??
Old 03-17-10, 04:05 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

When the oil starts to get dark looking I want it out of my engine. Usually that is around 5 k for me with synthetic.
Old 03-17-10, 07:56 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the two engines are different. I would not go over 6K with the 430, even on synthetic. I do mine religiously at 4K and don't think twice about it.
Old 03-17-10, 08:24 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

The official recommended oil and filter change interval for Lexus V8 engines used in "normal service" (as opposed to "severe service") in Europe has long been 15,000 km/9,000 miles or 12 months -- and that's with regular non-synthetic oil with the same API ratings used in the U.S.

Odd, isn't it?
Old 03-17-10, 09:29 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just an opinion, please dont attack me when I say this. I know even though I asked not to be attacked I will but, here is my opinion guys/gals. I think the oil change suggestion/reccommended mileage of 5,000 is outdated and more about money for the dealers than a need. Now, let me say Im not against the dealers making $, this isn't a rant so if it seems tht way, please refrain from attacking me.

If you notice those of us who have owned Lexus' for years there also a suggestion to be able to change oil every 7,500 miles under certain driving conditions as well. My point is this. If we all did 7,500 miles which is only 2,500 more miles than the new standard 5,000 miles how much can it hurt when Lexus even has a 7,500 mile service/oil service it suggest UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

That said, its not my intent to debate those who do 5,000 mile services because I do as well. Im a 5,000 mile service guy and I do so out of habit. The 5,000 mile service/oil change is in my opinion more of a preventative thing than a need. Its like before a home filter goes bad,change it so air flow isnt compromised! Its good to do so at 5,000 miles so you prevent things far before they become an issue like dark oil. I myself have went 7,500 miles to test the service suggestions. Very little differnce in oil quality or miles per gallon at all.

I think if you decide 5,000 or 7,500 its more important your consistent than anything at those service times. Consistency is the key. I'd say 10,000 is a little to far but, I dont think with these cars it will damage the engine at all if you did 7,500 miles before doing service. Could we be saving money by increasing our miles that we do services? YES!!!! For every two 7,500 mile service there are 3 5,000 mile services. That adds up. I think Lexus makes a car that can go 7,500 between services but, I agree with those owners who feel that piece of mind by sticking with 5,000 mille services, heck I do 5,000 mile services myself.

That said, Its a matter of choice and Im not against or for what a grown woman/man decides is best for them but, wanted to play the opposite side of thinking here because I feel there is merit in going another 2,500 past 5,000 mile for service but, not many have taken the chance. I did 2 times and again, noticed no difference just to test what I was told about doing 7,500 as opposed to 5,000 mile services and this was told to me by an employee of Lexus. They said its safe to go 7,500 and I tried but, piece of mind brought me back to 5,000 miles but, 7,500 I was told is safe by a Lexus service manager fellow members!!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-17-10 at 09:31 AM. Reason: many
Old 03-17-10, 09:37 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Also, how could I forget to mention this. We all are aware of the sludge issue with Lexus' engines, correct? I think it is something to consider doing services at 5,000 miles for that reason alone along with the every 40,000 mile engine flushes as well. Im doing a flush in the spring myself. And my reason for doing changes/services at every 5,000 miles is the engine sludge issue. That said, 7,500 is still a great number for those who rather wait a while before going in for service.

Just do a flush every 30,000 as recommended and the engine should be fine. I do it at 40,000 miles, even though not what they suggest its woked for me on all my 5 Lexus' so far but, 30,000 is the way to go officially for engine flushes to help with sludge.

May be the reason Lexus has pushed 5,000 mile services more than any other reason. Oh well, who knows!!! Just a thought!!! L.G.N.M

Last edited by usermel; 03-17-10 at 09:39 AM. Reason: many
Old 03-17-10, 09:38 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
Just an opinion, please dont attack me when I say this. I know even though I asked not to be attacked I will but, here is my opinion guys/gals. I think the oil change suggestion/reccommended mileage of 5,000 is outdated and more about money for the dealers than a need. Now, let me say Im not against the dealers making $, this isn't a rant so if it seems tht way, please refrain from attacking me.

If you notice those of us who have owned Lexus' for years there also a suggestion to be able to change oil every 7,500 miles under certain driving conditions as well. My point is this. If we all did 7,500 miles which is only 2,500 more miles than the new standard 5,000 miles how much can it hurt when Lexus even has a 7,500 mile service/oil service it suggest UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

That said, its not my intent to debate those who do 5,000 mile services because I do as well. Im a 5,000 mile service guy and I do so out of habit. The 5,000 mile service/oil change is in my opinion more of a preventative thing than a need. Its like before a home filter goes bad,change it so air flow isnt compromised! Its good to do so at 5,000 miles so you prevent things far before they become an issue like dark oil. I myself have went 7,500 miles to test the service suggestions. Very little differnce in oil quality or miles per gallon at all.

I think if you decide 5,000 or 7,500 its more important your consistent than anything at those service times. Consistency is the key. I'd say 10,000 is a little to far but, I dont think with these cars it will damage the engine at all if you did 7,500 miles before doing service. Could we be saving money by increasing our miles that we do services? YES!!!! For every two 7,500 mile service there are 3 5,000 mile services. That adds up. I think Lexus makes a car that can go 7,500 between services but, I agree with those owners who feel that piece of mind by sticking with 5,000 mille services, heck I do 5,000 mile services myself.

That said, Its a matter of choice and Im not against or for what a grown woman/man decides is best for them but, wanted to play the opposite side of thinking here because I feel there is merit in going another 2,500 past 5,000 mile for service but, not many have taken the chance. I did 2 times and again, noticed no difference just to test what I was told about doing 7,500 as opposed to 5,000 mile services and this was told to me by an employee of Lexus. They said its safe to go 7,500 and I tried but, piece of mind brought me back to 5,000 miles but, 7,500 I was told is safe by a Lexus service manager fellow members!!!! L.G.N.M
Dude,
even though I agree with your main point, I just gotta attack you for something.
Old 03-17-10, 10:02 AM
intermec
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

some members from toyota sienna forum send their engine oil for test.

http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php/topic,88.30.html

the test is probably better than just by looking at the color of your engine oil.
I mean even you put fresh, new oil inside, it will turn brown within weeks?

if you want to know more about your engine, I suggest you take the oil to have a lab test
Old 03-17-10, 10:10 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I plan to do oil at 5K and use synthetic oil. Probably could go longer but I want to baby it and the $delta is not enough for me to worry about. If i was on a stricter budget I'd likely go 7500 and Dino oil it and use Toyota rather than Lexus dealer just to minimize costs. I feel the downside of the shorter interval oil changes is the environmental impact cost. If we had "super" oil that never required changing, we'd obviously consume and use a lot less oil over the car's lifetime.

I don't want to debate a green referendum here, but budgetary considerations aside, longer oil changes might have less impact on the environment - and I say might because this eco stuff is alwasy more complex than anyone thinks.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-17-10 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 02:16 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Rice, that was great, great laugh buddy. Needed that for sure. L.G.N.M
Old 03-18-10, 03:47 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe 10k is ok with the 4.6 liter since it takes more quarts (i don't know for fact if it does take more quarts)? I know my E350 V6 takes 8 quarts while my V8 Lexus only takes 6 quarts, do you think this has anything to do with the 5k to 10k agruement? Ofcourse the Benz recommends synthetic (w/ 10k service) vs Lexus regular 5k oil change...
Old 03-18-10, 07:16 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by intermec
if you want to know more about your engine, I suggest you take the oil to have a lab test
I've had oil samples analyzed by Blackstone Labs. Generally speaking, there is no real reason to change nearly as early as many people do. Even being conservative, most could go 7500 miles, no problem. There's a LOT of good reading on the Blackstone site, especially in Articles, Newsletters, and FAQ on the "Information" tab.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

A couple of interesting views that they have based upon years and years, thousands and thousands of oil analyses...
Q: What's the best oil to use?
A: Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Q: Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?
A: Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.
Old 03-18-10, 08:49 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Interesting info on Blackstone - I have noticed over the years that my oil seems to not get as dark and oxidized looking as it ages when I check the oil level periodically. I guess both oil and engines have improved significantly over the last 40 years that I have been checking oil.
Old 03-18-10, 10:18 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Interesting info on Blackstone - I have noticed over the years that my oil seems to not get as dark and oxidized looking as it ages when I check the oil level periodically. I guess both oil and engines have improved significantly over the last 40 years that I have been checking oil.
I've noticed that as well. I'm thinking a lot of it may be due to better piston/ring-to-cylinder sealing in modern engines (resulting in less blow-by that contaminates oil and makes it look darker). Some might be due to the compositional changes of the "cleaner" fuel that we have today which puts less contaminants in the oil as well. If you go all the way back to the '70s, the leaded fuel would really contaminate oil pretty quickly and make it look dark. I see this now in my Supra -- leaded fuel combined with boost/high specific output makes the oil get dark rather quickly -- I sometimes need to change the oil within a few hundred miles ("need" verified by Blackstone analysis).

One other interesting thing that I've personally seen is that the oil filter can make a difference. Back in the '80s I started using Hastings oil filters which in those days used a filtration media that looked like the cotton stuffing from a quilt. I don't know what it was, but it kept oil looking clean for about 2x longer than a conventional paper element filter. I mentioned it to numerous friends and acquanintances who tried those filters and every single one of them saw the same thing -- VERY noticable difference. Hastings has long since sold and changed their filtration media to paper like most everyone else.
Old 03-18-10, 05:29 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I6turbo
I've had oil samples analyzed by Blackstone Labs. Generally speaking, there is no real reason to change nearly as early as many people do. Even being conservative, most could go 7500 miles, no problem. There's a LOT of good reading on the Blackstone site, especially in Articles, Newsletters, and FAQ on the "Information" tab.
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

A couple of interesting views that they have based upon years and years, thousands and thousands of oil analyses...
Q: What's the best oil to use?
A: Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

Q: Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?
A: Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.
Thanks for the info.
This confirms my highly scientific gut-seat-of-the-pants observations. I've switched to dino oil a few years ago after a number of years of synthetics.
The only difference I've noticed is in my wallet.

Quick Reply: 10k oil change in 2010 Lexus...