LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

04 LS430 Trans jerk

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-10, 08:18 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
Mine was flashed and it has been smooth sailing. Before the flash, not only did the car slam into first, but it seemed like when I was accelerating from a stand still, that first gear would feel particularly week, and then when then car would shift into second, the power would come on. It was very strange. Since the flash, power has been much more linear and first to second has been MUCH improved.

Which Dealership in NY you went to flash it? The glen cove, LI dealer tells me all the tranny software is up to date and theres nothing he can do. I still get problem of the jerkyness and im hoping that they just didnt know what they were doing
Old 02-03-10, 09:54 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TSB not issue

Originally Posted by Grisik
Everything has been checked, air pressure, airfilter, fuel at the same place and same commute. Had the same issue yesterday, 18.6 mpg.
I am getting the TSB done this Friday also, but honestly, I think the lackluster way the transmission is is how Lexus designed it, not that there was a flaw. So the EPA numbers were based on the slug transmission shift points. Therefore, now that the TSB came out to please the more right-foot hungry people, the shift pattern has changed and we're getting a "stronger" feel but at same time we lose on MPG.

So for those feeling the need for speed... it's gonna cost ya. Also, we say we're not changing our driving habits, but subconsciously with a more "brisk" engine, we do change our driving habits.

Anyway, I'm getting a really big split of 27/19, so we'll see how this TSB does for me. Keep you all updated ...
Old 02-05-10, 10:21 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Just got it done... NIGHT and DAY is the difference. Just pulling out and turning right from the dealership I could feel it more responsive. Where it use to hesitate just slightly to want to move, now it zips off. Not Corvette fast, but much faster without the hesitation.

The reprogramming was covered some federal EPA emissions thing, so it was N/C for me. I went in for a headlight adjustment too and it was N/C. I've been going to this dealer with my RX since we got it, so I guess keeping a relationship/history with a dealership does help for minor items/adjustments like this.

I will have to see if my mpg drop because of this programming. The service writer did have a "are you sure you want to do this..." question. Concern is that once the TSB is done, it's done. You can't go back to the old settings because they're setting new shift points through the whole 6 speeds, not just the lower gears. I asked what are the drawbacks? He said that it COULD shift harder and some drivers feel a rougher downshift. I told him, beats having what I conside a "dangerous" situation where the car hesitates when you don't want it to.

Anyway, it shifts fine for me. No rough up or down the gears. I'm very satisfied, thus far. If my mpg falls to 14 mpg, then I might have to reconsider my decision...
Old 02-05-10, 11:04 AM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Just got it done... NIGHT and DAY is the difference. Just pulling out and turning right from the dealership I could feel it more responsive. Where it use to hesitate just slightly to want to move, now it zips off. Not Corvette fast, but much faster without the hesitation.

The reprogramming was covered some federal EPA emissions thing, so it was N/C for me. I went in for a headlight adjustment too and it was N/C. I've been going to this dealer with my RX since we got it, so I guess keeping a relationship/history with a dealership does help for minor items/adjustments like this.

I will have to see if my mpg drop because of this programming. The service writer did have a "are you sure you want to do this..." question. Concern is that once the TSB is done, it's done. You can't go back to the old settings because they're setting new shift points through the whole 6 speeds, not just the lower gears. I asked what are the drawbacks? He said that it COULD shift harder and some drivers feel a rougher downshift. I told him, beats having what I conside a "dangerous" situation where the car hesitates when you don't want it to.

Anyway, it shifts fine for me. No rough up or down the gears. I'm very satisfied, thus far. If my mpg falls to 14 mpg, then I might have to reconsider my decision...
I thought you had it done back in Nov in the oringinal thread, it has been been over two months and the issue is def a no issue now. I agree it about it being "dangerous" situation when the car hesitates, this is a must have update for those who have not done so yet.
Old 02-05-10, 11:04 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO the speculation about MPG dropping due to a reflash is probably misdirected. If you start driving much more aggressively, then yes. But just driving the same it's extremely unlikely.
Old 02-05-10, 12:31 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Cancelled...

Originally Posted by Tee
I thought you had it done back in Nov in the oringinal thread, it has been been over two months and the issue is def a no issue now. I agree it about it being "dangerous" situation when the car hesitates, this is a must have update for those who have not done so yet.
No, I had made an appointment back in Nov. but then I had to cancel it because a meeting came up and then never found time through the holidays to get it done.

Finally did it today after much delay. Anyway, car performs like a champ now. Now I can almost say the car is not boring...
Old 02-05-10, 12:45 PM
Tee

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
. Now I can almost say the car is not boring...
LOL! Yeah I can't remeber the last time I used the "PWR ECT" switch for fun or added bump in the lower gears.