LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Wheels for Old Man

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 07:40 PM
BLACKASH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Tell her you needed a new set of nice wheels so you could mount a set of winter tires on the stock wheels. Global warming, er cooling, whatever.

That's funny
Old 08-11-09, 09:34 PM
mikevanle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a 2006? I guess those have the newer 18" 5 spoke design right? I would have stayed with the oem.
Old 08-11-09, 10:12 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikevanle
You have a 2006? I guess those have the newer 18" 5 spoke design right? I would have stayed with the oem.
My wife agrees with you. And yes they are/were the 18" 5 spoke design.
Old 08-11-09, 11:36 PM
diplomacyk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
My wife agrees with you. And yes they are/were the 18" 5 spoke design.
Hi Black ultra

I have got a 2005 ultra luxury package black colour too ..Well just a fast inquiry would u like to sell your oem rims as mentioned above.Can i have a look at it ? can you post some pics coz i want to buy them and import them to Dubai
Old 08-12-09, 04:28 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, the chrome matches the rest of the chrome on the car, and as long as you like it, who cares about the old woman... ha ha.

Personally, I don't like chrome, too shiny, but maybe you're a shiny kind of guy...
Old 08-12-09, 04:39 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the chrome reminds me of the 80-90's mercedes sedans that are a classic design in my opinion. these cars still look good today (to me) so why not take a page out of their book.
Old 08-12-09, 05:16 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mikevanle
His brother (Blackash) bought the wheels as a gift, and he likes the way they look on his car. The wife is the one with the issue, this will blow over in a week once they grow on her.
Old 08-12-09, 05:33 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Bring her to dinner at a nice place for dinner and it'll be all good haha
Old 08-12-09, 06:10 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackUltra
Great idea but it doesn't snow in Atlanta but maybe once every few years. tks anyway. She likes the style just not the chrome. Does anyone seen what "hyper silver" looks like? TSW has a Montage (my style) in Hyper Silver.
Those TSW's in hyper silver look pretty good. I'm not really a fan of chrome, but like others said, it's just personal preference. For 18's, I'm a big fan of the factory 5-spokes with the light charcoal finish (whatever that's called). Toyota did an outstanding job with those wheels IMO.

Re: the 95% nitrogen (or whatever their system results are), it will not make any difference in the feel on the road, unless they aired the tires up to a higher pressure than you're used to (which is the same situation as with regular old 78% nitrogen).

How would the wifey feel about a little window tint?

Last edited by I6turbo; 08-12-09 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 07:39 AM
debian
Driver

chrome ugh!
Old 08-12-09, 07:51 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would take the chance w/ taking off the pinstripe....
Old 08-12-09, 10:29 AM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Ok, we went down to Butler Tire in Marietta and the sales guy Brett started shaking his head at the sight of me and the wife entering the store. The TSW Montage in Hyper silver would cost over double what my brother paid so we asked for the best deal he could give us on a return and new purchase. The choices for us were the TSW new Donington in Gunmetal or the Petrol Metrix in Hyper Silver. They are both pictured below.

Which one do you guys think she picked? As soon as the sun comes out in ATL I will post pictures. We are both very happy with her choice I might add.
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels for Old Man-donington_black_beauty_pop_white.jpg   New Wheels for Old Man-metrix.jpg  
Old 08-12-09, 10:51 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i prefer the Petrol Metrix in Hyper Silver but i bet she picked the TSW's. damn so the buyers remorse got to you or the wifey's lack of interest and overall disdain for anything she didn't have a direct influence on? if she is anything like my wife then i guess you made a 'sane' decision to switch.

you can't very well sleep with your wheels now can you???
Old 08-12-09, 01:07 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sojah
i prefer the Petrol Metrix in Hyper Silver but i bet she picked the TSW's. damn so the buyers remorse got to you or the wifey's lack of interest and overall disdain for anything she didn't have a direct influence on? if she is anything like my wife then i guess you made a 'sane' decision to switch.

you can't very well sleep with your wheels now can you???
Truer words were never spoken. All us married guys know what Hell on Earth can really mean. So Sojah give yourself a pat on the back as you got it right.

Even the Hyper Silver did not appease. But I really think these wheels give the car a more European Touring appearance that gives it its due. But hey guys it appears chrome is on the way out and deals are plentiful so drive a hard bargain if you are looking for chrome.
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels for Old Man-001.jpg   New Wheels for Old Man-002.jpg   New Wheels for Old Man-003.jpg   New Wheels for Old Man-004.jpg  
Old 08-12-09, 01:11 PM
BlackUltra
Pole Position

Pics below show new Ecru floor mats instead of the former Taupe as a result of discussions on a previous thread.
Attached Thumbnails New Wheels for Old Man-012.jpg   New Wheels for Old Man-013.jpg   New Wheels for Old Man-014.jpg  

Quick Reply: New Wheels for Old Man