LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LS430 vs S430/500

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 08:02 AM
DrJfrmLA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick ring-in to answer some specific questions:

The S430 and S500 were only imported as long wheel base models. There are a few short wheel base S320s in the states (they were imported one year only). The body and interior of the S430 and S500 are identical; the only difference between the two is drivetrain--you get 25 or so extra horsepower with the S500 (which cost about $600 each on a new car).

The window controls do take some getting used to because they are on the valance for the door pocket, but I don't open my windows much at all so I surely wouldn't let that be a deal breaker. The climate control is "set it and forget it" so except for leaving off money at the bank or paying tolls, I hardly think about the window controls.

The cup holder in the S430 is an interesting device that launches itself out of the console like a broken umbrella, but it has a vise-like grip device that will hold all but the most top-heavy "big gulp" cup steady through nearly all cornering maneuvers--unlike the weak-kneed holders on the LS430 that will fling a hot cup of coffee in your lap if you think about a curve in the road.

It is true lots of people are driving "entry level luxury" in the C-class, just as they are the 3-series BMW. But you don't mistake a big fat-a$$ed S-class for a poseur-mobile. I find my car (which is relatively unassuming in brilliant silver) causes traffic to part like the Red Sea when you're coming through. Parking valets fall all over themselves to get to you. I think the S stands alone in that regard.

One thing to consider depending on where you live: The S-class Mercedes really, really, really dislikes flooding or water in the interior. All the electronics are mounted under the rear seat and wired through fiber optic cable run under the carpets. You fill the floorboards with rain water and you're looking at a complete electronic rebuild to the tune of $12k or more. The recent floods in Florida and the midwest brought out some terrible tales of what happens when dirty water meets sensitive electronics. There are suprisingly few electronic controllers under the hood or in the trunk.

Good luck on your choice.
Old 02-18-09, 10:44 AM
dadewi
Driver

Thanks, DrJfrmLA! You are a wealth of info!
Old 02-18-09, 06:00 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No brainer

Originally Posted by dadewi
Thanks, guys! There have been some good posts. Have I decided yet? No. This is really a tough decision because I dont' keep cars a couple years and trade them in. I keep cars for like 7, 8 years or even more. I really get my money's worth out of a car when I purchase one. (Still on the fence)...
I think the answer is clear, if you're keeping a pre-owned for over 7 years, it's gotta be a Lexus. I wouldn't keep a previous generation MB for beyond the warranty period, much less into 100K.
Old 02-19-09, 04:11 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
I think the answer is clear, if you're keeping a pre-owned for over 7 years, it's gotta be a Lexus. I wouldn't keep a previous generation MB for beyond the warranty period, much less into 100K.
*ding* *ding* *ding* and we have a winner folks!!!
Old 02-19-09, 09:16 AM
luca
Driver School Candidate

I agree 100% with the last posts, I now have an 2004 LS & LX and love them both. I replaced a 2002 S600 with the LS and I must say that if you can afford the Benz new and replace it every couple of years the Benz is the bench mark. Now having said that mine ran me nearly $5.00 a mile not including gas...they are technological nightmares and a trip to the dealer is a Grand no matter what. For reliability over time the lexus will thrash the Benz and will hold its value much better.

JMHO
Old 02-19-09, 10:01 AM
dadewi
Driver

I really appreciate all the feedback. I am truly leaning towards the LS430. As a matter of fact...... I am going to get the LS430. It has to be an Ultra (I guess that is what it is called), though. I want to have nav, back up camera, frig in the back, etc. Any pros or cons? Anything to look for when I do decide that it's time to purchase? Thanks, again!
Old 02-19-09, 10:56 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VA huh? i live about 45 mins from nova and just saw a couple ul's from this place called autolenders in nj where i purchased my 05 ul from back in december (well worth the drive). so you should check out this link
there are a few to choose from... happy hunting.
Old 02-19-09, 11:18 AM
dadewi
Driver

Thanks, Sojah. I 'preciate that.

Can anyone tell me if all the LS430s have the dual vanity mirrors in the back or just the ULs?
Old 02-19-09, 11:58 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I think they all have the dual vanity mirrors in the back.
Old 02-19-09, 12:55 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My '05 does have the dual vanity mirrors in the back but my '02 does not.
Old 02-19-09, 04:46 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Of what?

Originally Posted by sojah
*ding* *ding* *ding* and we have a winner folks!!!
WHAT DO I WIN !??!?! WHAT ?!?!?! I already have the best car in the world, could it be ANOTHER LS430 but in Ultra trim?

To answer OP's question, don't know pre '04, but '04 on has the rear dual vanity if you're considering a UL. The CL has it too. Also, once you go Custom or better, you get the "suede" headliners... NICE !!! It's called Altarez or something like that.

As for reliability, this is more "first year" blues, but the '04 had two recalls, one was small, the other transmission related where some flash or something would cause the transmission to not engage "P" correctly. It was only on early production '04. After that, I don't believe any recalls or issues with LS430.

to LS430 and ULTRA LUXURY. I did not go for it only because of the air suspension (hey, it's gonna break at some point and I read they're about $1000 a pop) and I have three kids, so the rear goodies are useless to me for the next ten years and by then, I'll probably upgrade to the 2020 LS520L AWD Executive Edition.
Old 02-19-09, 06:16 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Believe or not the Modern Luxury has the dual mirrors too.
Old 02-21-09, 09:02 AM
AlpineGt66
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had an 02 S500, converted to look like a 03-06 S55 amg. Looked really nice... Oh and the anthrodite green color was spectacular. Car got complimented everywhere I went and was probably the only merc with that color, body look to it. As good as the car looked, it failed me in the most important and simple task. To get me from point A-B. Air suspension went out on the highway, so the car would drop lower with every bump, to where the you cant turn the steering wheel or you would bend your fenders. Had to pull over and raise it up every 5-6 bumps or so. Took me about 5 hours to get me home, which only takes me 1 hour usually. It never stranded me but that is just unacceptable. I now own an 02 Ls430 UL. Only thing I wish it had was the trunk opening and closing automatic like the benz did, and front message seats. Other than that Lexus>MERC. at least in model years 00-05.
Old 02-22-09, 02:47 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Then again, you have an LS and E series, how has your experience been with maintenance and reliability?
My E-class is 2006 w/ 30k, it's been very reliable thus far (actually had problem with in-dash cd player, got replaced) other than that, it's been great. All the talk about bad reliability with Mercedes I haven't experienced (knock on wood). Now BMW is a different story. Maintenance isn't as frequent as Lexus, since service is every 12k-15k, which is nice. Only other problem I can think of are my AMG wheels, they seem really soft/weak, they got bent really easily IMO. Maybe because they are lightweights.
Old 02-22-09, 03:15 PM
warp10
Driver School Candidate

I heard the newer 06+ w211 E-classes were built a lot better in terms of electrical issues.
REF: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...8/Reliability/

Quick Reply: LS430 vs S430/500