LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How does Datasystem controller improve handling

Old 11-27-08, 11:58 AM
tochoks22
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does Datasystem controller improve handling

Hi fellow members, I just got the Ultra package 04 LS, I want to buy the datasystem controller but i will like to know if it actually does improve handling. Does it stiffen the suspension when lowered ?
or does it work by just lowering the center of gravity?
Old 11-27-08, 12:48 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tochoks22
Hi fellow members, I just got the Ultra package 04 LS, I want to buy the datasystem controller but i will like to know if it actually does improve handling. Does it stiffen the suspension when lowered ?
or does it work by just lowering the center of gravity?
Okay don't quote me on this but i don't think it improves on the suspension at all, most of the guys who are running them are using them for stance only ....so basicaly it's not filling up the bags all the way providing a lower stance.
Old 11-27-08, 01:32 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, if you lower it too much and drive, the car becomes bouncy, like those who choose to cut springs. Not a good feeling
Old 11-27-08, 03:20 PM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by airtime
Actually, if you lower it too much and drive, the car becomes bouncy, like those who choose to cut springs. Not a good feeling
I wanted to say that but i could'nt really say so since i don't have a UL
Old 11-27-08, 07:50 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

anytime you lower a car...the handling is always gonna get better
Old 11-28-08, 11:05 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

A stock LS430 UL sit way high, if you lower it moderately, the handling does improve quite a bit since when you deflate the airbags, it lower the cushion effect and it firm up.

But if you lower it all the way down like airtime mention, it would have no cushion at all or it just sit on the bump stop, so it handle and ride like crap.

I don't have the Datasystem controller, but I lowered my car about 1"~2" by adjusting the height sensor's rod, the car go from driving like a 1980 Buick boat to a 2005 regular sports sedan
Old 11-28-08, 11:45 AM
Rice
Pole Position

Most folks do it for show.

You bought the UL, right?
This means that handling isn't really your top priority?
If you want to really improve handling, wait for the airbags to blow up and replace them with coilovers or just a stock Sport setup (cheaper).

Originally Posted by BNR34
when you deflate the airbags, it lower the cushion effect and it firm up.
This sounds very strange to me. If you let some air out, your airbag will become softer, just like an airmattress. If you let all air out, you will lower the car onto bump stops, in which case it will not have springs at all, hence bouncy lowrider ride.
The two handling advantages of lowering are:
1) Lowering CG, which helps in the turns
2) Decreasing the air gap under the car, which reduces lift at speeds.
Old 11-28-08, 07:27 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Rice
This sounds very strange to me. If you let some air out, your airbag will become softer, just like an airmattress.
Yeah I know it does sounds strange, I don't think the airbags works like most people think.

Normally, when you think airbags, you think an air ballon, the more air you put in, the firmer it gets because the air pressure goes up inside a semi fixed volume.

But I think the air spring's pressure stay constant, the more air you put in, the bigger it gets. And when you deflate it, it get smaller so the car sit lower. I think of it as a cushion, the bigger the cushion, the softer it gets.

I could be all wrong, but I know for a fact the lower the UL sit, the firmer it rides, and everyone say that.
Old 11-29-08, 11:38 AM
airtime

For a point of reference, when I set my Datasystem on 5, the firmness rides the same as factory and it does feel a bit sportier on turns. When it drops below to 6+, it gets bouncy and stiff.

I get so used to riding at a constant 3 to 5 setting that when I put it back to "normal" factory height, it's a strange feeling. I can physically tell driving that the car is high and the driving dynamics does differ.
Old 12-01-08, 10:07 PM
denroll
Driver

You have to experiment to find that sweet spot between the stock height and "too bouncy" low. Since you can save 5 different settings, I have mine like this:

1: slammed all the way front and rear. Useless for driving (as in, don't try it, it will rub)
2: between slammed and stock, front adjusted one or two lower than rear, since trhe rear tends to "sag" a bit. Definitely does improve handling while moderately increasing ride harshness. Not bouncy, but firm. Usually put dampers into "sport" for this.
3: Close to stock, with the front and rear leveled out. Used for "comfort" when cruising the highway.
4: higher than stock for when I have a carload of adults and we hit the highway. Railroad tracks barely perceptible at 35mph
5: All the way up like a donk. Looks silly, but it's useful. I actually had to drive through a field to get to a campground, and rolling pretty quick, I barely felt a thing. Off-road handling is greatly improved, haha. Also easier to get a jack under the car this way. I can almost do an oil change without a jack at this height

Hold up, let me dig up some pics to show the levels.

Last edited by denroll; 12-01-08 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-01-08, 10:16 PM
denroll
Driver

In case you didn't see the thread in the for sale section, this sweet, sweet ride is FOR SALE!!! Tell your friends if you already have an LS

Setting 1:

Setting 2:

Setting 3:

Setting 4:

No Pic

Setting 5

Old 12-02-08, 04:58 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice pics with great descriptions...
Old 12-02-08, 07:01 AM
airtime

Originally Posted by sojah
nice pics with great descriptions...
+1.... always nice to have images with description
Old 12-02-08, 08:46 PM
LA Wheel
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by denroll
In case you didn't see the thread in the for sale section, this sweet, sweet ride is FOR SALE!!! Tell your friends if you already have an LS
I see you're enjoying the old rims off my car
Old 12-03-08, 01:51 AM
denroll
Driver

^For sure. They look great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How does Datasystem controller improve handling