Few questions on 'knock sensors'??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-08, 05:46 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Wow!!!!

Originally Posted by CarguyinGa
There are plenty of people that mean well with the "advice" they give. It just seems that the ones that know the least always seem to know it the loudest and just love to chime in quickly.

The knock sensors have no relation to the VSC system, fuel grade used also has no influence on the longevity of knock sensors. VSC and Trac Off coming on without any other lights is more than likely going to be related to a wheel speed sensor fault. There are other possibilities though, it needs to be scanned by a facility that has the proper scanner to communicate with the TCS/VSC/ABS controller. That will give a code related to those lights coming on. Most shops are not going to have the proper software to communicate with that system on their scan tool.

I currently do freelance work as a diagnostic tech for local repair shops and dealerships, that is one of the biggest problems I go in to solve...people not knowing what relates to particular systems and just making blind guesses rather than facing the fact that they are not fully equipped to diagnose a particular car. Sometimes it is the lack of proper scan tool for the car, other times it is general lack of common sense. The scan tools are very expensive on software upgrades and there are only a couple that will handle the Lexus VSC, it is most likely not cost effective for them to upgrade to the one needed so I can't fault them there. However, I can say they were negligent in thinking a knock sensor code was causing those lights. If the service engine light was on as well as the VSC /Trac off, that could create a possible link, not likely though.

Get it to someone with the proper tools and information.you're wasting dollars while trying to save a nickel in this case.
WOW! Great info!
Old 12-03-08, 11:40 AM
MamiLS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarguyinGa
There are plenty of people that mean well with the "advice" they give. It just seems that the ones that know the least always seem to know it the loudest and just love to chime in quickly.

The knock sensors have no relation to the VSC system, fuel grade used also has no influence on the longevity of knock sensors. VSC and Trac Off coming on without any other lights is more than likely going to be related to a wheel speed sensor fault. There are other possibilities though, it needs to be scanned by a facility that has the proper scanner to communicate with the TCS/VSC/ABS controller. That will give a code related to those lights coming on. Most shops are not going to have the proper software to communicate with that system on their scan tool.

I currently do freelance work as a diagnostic tech for local repair shops and dealerships, that is one of the biggest problems I go in to solve...people not knowing what relates to particular systems and just making blind guesses rather than facing the fact that they are not fully equipped to diagnose a particular car. Sometimes it is the lack of proper scan tool for the car, other times it is general lack of common sense. The scan tools are very expensive on software upgrades and there are only a couple that will handle the Lexus VSC, it is most likely not cost effective for them to upgrade to the one needed so I can't fault them there. However, I can say they were negligent in thinking a knock sensor code was causing those lights. If the service engine light was on as well as the VSC /Trac off, that could create a possible link, not likely though.

Get it to someone with the proper tools and information.you're wasting dollars while trying to save a nickel in this case.
Can you tell me a little more about the wheel speed sensor, such as what kind of warning sounds, if any, it makes. That sounds very interesting as I thought I heard a noise from my left front wheel as i was turning out of our U shaped driveway.

Thanks.....
Old 12-03-08, 04:47 PM
tvdias
Driver School Candidate

MamiLS430: I feel for you.

2 lessons I learned re Lexi:

Certified pre-owned is worth the $ for the warranty protection even though you probably won't come out ahead. (However, see next item)
Lexi don't break often, but the cost of certain replacement parts (read computer based modules, like the Navi for example) makes a warranty a real good idea..... $1,000.00 + is not uncommon for a single module.

Vern

Last edited by tvdias; 12-03-08 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 08:47 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by usermel
Your husband was wrong on his advice to you. I just saw you went to a shop that isn't Lexus certified. Even if they are I say go to a dealership if possible for major issues.
An independent non-dealer repair shop can be an excellent choice for even the most major issues if it has a staff that is experienced in the repair of Lexus vehicles. For example, the service of the indie Lexus repair shop I been using here in Kansas for the past 10 years is head and shoulders above the local Lexus dealership in price, quality and especially ethics.

Finding a good indie shop is another matter. Lexus LS cars are quite complex. People who work on them every day know what to look for. If your repair shop in Branson isn't working on Lexus LS cars every day, I'd say just put your car on a flatbed truck and have it taken to the Lexus dealer in Springfield. Consider looking for an indie shop in Springfield.

It can be difficult keeping a car running properly if you don't have a competent repair shop nearby. I'll never forget the hell of owning my first Mercedes while living over 125 miles from the nearest Mercedes dealer.

If you regularly spend time in the Kansas City area, PM me for information about the indie Lexus repair shop I use. People drive some fairly long distances to have their cars serviced there.

Originally Posted by tvdias
Certified pre-owned is worth the $ for the warranty protection even though you probably won't come out ahead.
The problem with certified Lexus cars is that dealers sometimes price certified cars so high that the certification is simply not cost effective. I bought my current non-certified LS in 2003 from a broker for fully $8,000 less than similar certified cars were being sold for at the Lexus dealer. $8,000 could have paid for a lot of repairs if I had any that weren't covered under the existing basic warranty. Regardless, I didn't have a single issue that would have been covered by an extended warranty between the time the basic and drive train warranties expired and 100,000 miles which has been the mileage limit on the extended warranties I've been offered.
Old 12-03-08, 09:53 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile Oh yeah!!!! I agree with all your points!

Originally Posted by tvdias

2 lessons I learned re Lexi:

Certified pre-owned is worth the $ for the warranty protection even though you probably won't come out ahead. (However, see next item)
Lexi don't break often, but the cost of certain replacement parts (read computer based modules, like the Navi for example) makes a warranty a real good idea..... $1,000.00 + is not uncommon for a single module.

Vern
So true about Certified Pre-Owned Lexus'. I had 3-5 issues fixed under warranty with my car and since the warranty has been expired i have had zero issues. I understand why people buy from non-warranty dealers who may offer 6 months or 3,000-12,000 miles of a warranty. It's much cheaper to buy from a non Lexus dealer. That said the trade off of cerified pre-owned has been well worth it!

I would love to get all Lexus owners to buy certified pre-owned but, respect peoples wishes to buy in a way that makes them feel comfortable so, i'll just hope things turn out ok for those who go private or non Lexus dealer for their cars! All the best to those who do what they have to do and Miami LS, things will get better with your car after these issues are cleared up, this car is great to own!
Old 12-03-08, 10:02 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Smile I can respect that!

Originally Posted by Kansas
An independent non-dealer repair shop can be an excellent choice for even the most major issues if it has a staff that is experienced in the repair of Lexus vehicles. For example, the service of the indie Lexus repair shop I been using here in Kansas for the past 10 years is head and shoulders above the local Lexus dealership in price, quality and especially ethics.

Finding a good indie shop is another matter. Lexus LS cars are quite complex. People who work on them every day know what to look for. If your repair shop in Branson isn't working on Lexus LS cars every day, I'd say just put your car on a flatbed truck and have it taken to the Lexus dealer in Springfield. Consider looking for an indie shop in Springfield.

It can be difficult keeping a car running properly if you don't have a competent repair shop nearby. I'll never forget the hell of owning my first Mercedes while living over 125 miles from the nearest Mercedes dealer.

If you regularly spend time in the Kansas City area, PM me for information about the indie Lexus repair shop I use. People drive some fairly long distances to have their cars serviced there.

The problem with certified Lexus cars is that dealers sometimes price certified cars so high that the certification is simply not cost effective. I bought my current non-certified LS in 2003 from a broker for fully $8,000 less than similar certified cars were being sold for at the Lexus dealer. $8,000 could have paid for a lot of repairs if I had any that weren't covered under the existing basic warranty. Regardless, I didn't have a single issue that would have been covered by an extended warranty between the time the basic and drive train warranties expired and 100,000 miles which has been the mileage limit on the extended warranties I've been offered.
Im spoiled because here in VA Beach/Norfolk area we have a good service department, not perfect, but good! I wish that you all didnt have to go as far as you do. We have different opinions but, were both correct in our own way and I feel you on indie certified shops that can do the work as good as Lexus. Its a matter of comfort level and for me I dont go to anyone but the dealer who manufactures the car, though I respect those who choose to go with an indie mechanic.

I know I spend more going to the dealership but, Im more of a peace of mind guy. When my service isn't done right or they do something wrong the dealer here doesn't charge me and they have given me free items(battery is one) for my car. I again see your point and respect it and if I decide to stop paying so much for service I will look u up on this site for advice bro. Thanks for the advice you gave Miami LS as well she can use it being her first Lexus and were a family and we should help each other. Great advice bro!

L.G.N.M
Old 12-04-08, 03:26 PM
MamiLS430
Driver School Candidate

My Lexus is home and (crossing fingers) hope that the problem has been solved. I drove it home on one breath, then let a big sigh of relief when I pulled into my driveway.

So it seems it was the knock sensor and wiring harness. When they called to tell me it was ready, I nearly fainted. They told me they drove it a couple of times to make sure and all the lights are off.

A 'BIG' THANKS to all you great people for seeing me through this. I hope to have continued good news with my new car!! I feel liked I have made some friends here and now recognize the regulars. Any problems and some of you will hear from me again.

Muchas Gracias....Lucy
Old 04-03-17, 10:58 AM
Wafftho
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I need help my GS430 knock sensor code

I keep getting the same knock sensor code, once a erase the code the car drives fine but once I start giving him more gas or full throttle the code comes back on and the car basically goes into a limp mode I've read of people changing the knock sensor and in reality that is not the case the code will then come back again with the new knock sensors on. I would like to know if maybe something else is making the sensor go off or it could really be a faulty sensor. I just want to rule out all other things before removing the intake manifold to get to it. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated the car only has 103k miles and recently done the timing belt water pump and tensioners and spark plugs
Old 04-03-17, 11:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by Wafftho
I keep getting the same knock sensor code, once a erase the code the car drives fine but once I start giving him more gas or full throttle the code comes back on and the car basically goes into a limp mode I've read of people changing the knock sensor and in reality that is not the case the code will then come back again with the new knock sensors on. I would like to know if maybe something else is making the sensor go off or it could really be a faulty sensor. I just want to rule out all other things before removing the intake manifold to get to it. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated the car only has 103k miles and recently done the timing belt water pump and tensioners and spark plugs
They do in fact go bad. On my Maxima, I was getting a P0325 code, no matter how many times I reset the ECU. Also, the fault did not trigger the service engine soon. Since I ran regular fuel for 18.5 years, when I became aware of the code, I used premium until I could get a new sensor installed (Nissan says premium "recommended."). With a new sensor, never got the code again. The vehicle did have about 215k, however.
Old 04-03-17, 12:29 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Wafftho
I keep getting the same knock sensor code
Which knock sensor code are you getting? I can try to locate some troubleshooting procedures for you.
Old 04-03-17, 03:01 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

What is the rough cost of the knock sensor and some guess on the labor? Just curious.
Old 04-03-17, 07:21 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Knock sensor costs $178 each, and the LS430 has 2 of these. You have to remove the intake manifold to get to the sensors. You will have to unplug a bunch of plastic electrical connectors which will likely to crumble in your hands. Finally, you will need a pair of new manifold gaskets at $21 each. I would estimate 3-4 hours to do this project. Attached is the replacement procedures.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Knock Sensor.pdf (123.5 KB, 221 views)
Old 04-03-17, 10:06 PM
Wafftho
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

bank 1 sensor P0325 i just don't want to do the labor and replace the sensor and the code comes back because its something else but nobody can figure put what that something else is and i do not want to do the infamous hack everyone seems to be doing either by splicing wires from the good sensor to the bad one I JUST WANT A LEGITMENT FIX
Old 04-04-17, 03:36 AM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Hope this troubleshooting procedure will help...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0325.pdf (45.0 KB, 439 views)