LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Fog Lamp Replacement Install w/Pix

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 01:42 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fog Lamp Replacement Install w/Pix

Here is another show and tell from yours truly on how to do replace a fog lamp bulb. From inspiration from Tee's post on getting yellow fogs, I wanted to do it too. This install if for my 2004 LS430 though I would believe it would be similar in all years. This tutorial, if you can call it that as its super simple, should also work for replacing with xenon fogs too. Here we go......

The LS uses 9006 bulbs for the fogs so I too ordered these from a seller on eBay for $26 shipped.

Here is the before shot in daytime.

The install is super easy, not much tool required, just a screwdriver. Start by turning steering wheel to give you access to the wheel well.

There are 2 plastic plug screw holding the wheel well liner. Turning is 90 degrees will unlock it.

I used a screw driver to pry the liner off those tabs where the plastic screws were.

Then peel back a bit with your hand.

Looking inside, you should see a brown plug holding the fog bulb. Unless you are Arnold Schwarzenegger, you arm should be able to slide in.

Turn the brown plug assemble counter clockwise to remove. It should not come out with plenty of wire lead.

Replace with new bulb and reverse the direction above. The first side took 10 minutes, the second side took less than 5. Here is the result.

I feel this is not much of a writeup as there is nothing to it, but I'm sure it'll help someone out there.
The following 3 users liked this post by airtime:
Isaiah (11-11-23), PNWLS430 (01-12-21), S2R (03-23-21)
Old 11-15-08, 05:04 PM
JemmyTran
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up always good to have you around lol
Old 11-15-08, 05:26 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is it possible to get to the fogs from the bottom, instead of through the wheel well? 5 min. ain't much, so it's easy enough, but if we can get from bottom through the under cover, then it might be even easier. Say 3 min.
Old 11-15-08, 05:50 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
is it possible to get to the fogs from the bottom, instead of through the wheel well? 5 min. ain't much, so it's easy enough, but if we can get from bottom through the under cover, then it might be even easier. Say 3 min.
True that is how i did mine but as you can see either way will get you the end result. Nice write up AT, now i need you to get busy on the DRL swap.

BTW how bout some night shot pics too?
Old 11-15-08, 09:13 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried getting in through the bottom but my car had all the tupperware plastic all under there 6 - 10mm bolt/screw to undo. That's why the first side took 10 minute as I was trying to find the best and easiest way to get to the bulb.
See image...

Old 11-16-08, 03:12 AM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks AT!! always the best DIY!!
Old 11-16-08, 05:19 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-16-08, 01:17 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

very nice.....next mod!!!

Always thought of doing this mod but now after seeing the pics......
Old 11-17-08, 02:07 AM
AlexusAnja

Default Plastic surgery

Originally Posted by airtime
I tried getting in through the bottom but my car had all the tupperware plastic all under there 6 - 10mm bolt/screw to undo. That's why the first side took 10 minute as I was trying to find the best and easiest way to get to the bulb.
Tupperware... ha ha...

Yeah, looks like could be rough, but with a ratchet, the 6 bolts shouldn't be too tough. I'd just rather approach from somewhere where I don't have to bend plastic and start curling things.

Anyway, thanks for great write-up. You've inspired many to do this MOD now...
Old 02-17-09, 06:28 PM
AlexusAnja

Sorry to bring this up from the dead... although nice write-up with pictures, I tried removing the bulb from the sidewall today and there are two little screws on the housing (you can see in Airtimes photo of the unit before removing) are those two screws to be loosened or should the light bulb fitting turn without touching the screws? I tried my darnest to turn counter-clockwise, but maybe you have to be AH-nold to turn that thing...
Old 02-18-09, 03:48 PM
maximussp
Lead Lap

Sorry to bring this up from the dead... although nice write-up with pictures, I tried removing the bulb from the sidewall today and there are two little screws on the housing (you can see in Airtimes photo of the unit before removing) are those two screws to be loosened or should the light bulb fitting turn without touching the screws? I tried my darnest to turn counter-clockwise, but maybe you have to be AH-nold to turn that thing...
+1 what he said.
Old 02-24-09, 10:59 PM
06~ULTRA
Driver

^same thing with me, i tried doing this and it seems as you may need to remove them small screws and with my big hands im gonna need to remove all the plastic covers. so, no hid till it gets warmer.
Old 02-25-09, 04:46 AM
Tee

Or you can change the fogs out like i did.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3991587-post12.html
Old 02-25-09, 05:53 AM
AlexusAnja

My point was really... do those two screws need to come out or not? If for sure not, then I'm going to put a "hurting" on that bulb and just twist like Chuck Barry....
Old 02-25-09, 06:12 AM
Tee

Alex the bulbs wiring harness are twist to lock and unlock, you should not have to remove any screws fog light housing to pluck the bulb out of wiring harness.

Quick Reply: Fog Lamp Replacement Install w/Pix