LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My first DIY- HID bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 01:34 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My first DIY- HID bulb replacement

So i guess all DIY's start this way. I went to a speed shop to buy some different color HID bulbs for my lows and a kit for my fogs. The low's were replacement bulbs and they wanted $175 for the bulbs and $75 to install. The fog light kit they said was $120 and install of $80. So $450 bucks to change my lights!!!! I wanted to slap those guys just for GP. Anyway today (sunday) while the giants were playing i got my ebay kit and replacement bulbs for my low's and got to work. All i needed was a screw diver and a metric 10mm socket wrench. BTW which cost a total of $130. And this is how it went....

First I started on the passenger side since was easiest to get to, and i could look how things were so i know how to put them back after i'm done. I took of the covers with the screw driver. There's a round twist off cap you take off to get to the lights.

When you twist it off this is how it looks.

There are two small clips holding the bulb harness in place. There very easy to pull out. They are like tabs and you just pull them down.

Here is the bulb removed.

A small twist and pull and actual bulb comes right off.

Just replace with the new ones, test and put it back just the way you found it!!

And the other side. Pull the covers off and use the socket to move these pieces out of the way. The arrows are pointing to where the screws are.

Once you have enough room its the exact same process!!

The fogs were done by me & one of my boys. We didnt take pics because it was tooo hot under the car. But it was too easy and took less than an hour.

So i saved money and got the satisfaction of DIY. Damn i feel like i can conquer the world now!!!!

And the finished product

I'll take night shots later. But whaddya think??

Last edited by RA40; 07-09-16 at 11:42 AM. Reason: descriptive title
The following users liked this post:
StanVanDam (09-03-21)
Old 09-14-08, 01:40 PM
froboy272
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant wait to see the night shots philly
Old 09-14-08, 04:54 PM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice write up. How many K are your bulbs?

You did your mods in a handicap parking space LMAO
Old 09-14-08, 05:07 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice thanks!

any chance u can give a description of the DIY for fogs? would u recommend I get the slim ballasts or go with the normal size ballast for fogs? Is there enough space in there to tuck and tape a normal sized ballast ?
Old 09-14-08, 06:03 PM
SH212
Dances with goats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSoup

LMAO!!.....
Old 09-15-08, 03:46 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the write up... I will be adding this to the FAQ on top of the forum.

The bulbs look like they are 8,000-10,000K.
Old 09-15-08, 05:12 AM
Shilly
Driver School Candidate

Can you give us the Model, K rating and possibly the eBay Seller for both sets of lights? What difference do you notice? I am probably most interested in the fog light change right now, but will appreciate your DIY when one of the bulbs burns out of my 2001. Thanks for the pics
Old 09-15-08, 06:37 AM
bonafyd
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good
Old 09-15-08, 07:29 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I really want to see the night shots!
Old 09-15-08, 08:02 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what is the watts on the bulbs? cuz i thinkt he bluer your go.....the less lighting you will get.....but it looks good.....not my choice....but looks good...
Old 09-15-08, 08:03 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh....and are you selling your OEM bulbs? Let me know if you are...you can PM me.....if that is an option. Thanks
Old 09-15-08, 08:35 AM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

Nice write up. How many K are your bulbs?

Bulbs are 20000k And yea thats my space in my building!! No really it is

Originally Posted by mikemareen
nice thanks!

any chance u can give a description of the DIY for fogs? would u recommend I get the slim ballasts or go with the normal size ballast for fogs? Is there enough space in there to tuck and tape a normal sized ballast ?
You dont need the slim ballast just buy the 9006 ebay kit. It was kind of hard for us to mount the ballast so we just tie wrapped it real tight. The regular ballast fits fine.

Originally Posted by Shilly
Can you give us the Model, K rating and possibly the eBay Seller for both sets of lights? What difference do you notice? I am probably most interested in the fog light change right now, but will appreciate your DIY when one of the bulbs burns out of my 2001. Thanks for the pics
Both ballast and replacement bulbs are 20000k. I got them off of the ebay seller HIDNY. Hope this helps

Originally Posted by junjdm
what is the watts on the bulbs? cuz i thinkt he bluer your go.....the less lighting you will get.....but it looks good.....not my choice....but looks good...
I like the look of the 20000k's. And believe it or not it shines brighter than you might think. Everything and i mean everything reflective GLOWS in the night. I have no problems seeing anything. But thats just me.
Old 09-15-08, 08:56 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You do realize the higher you go in K (ie. 20K) you lose visibility and you get more light dispersion. As the "K" goes up, the lumen/brightness decreases. It will get "bluer" as you go up which your eyes perceive to be brighter.
Old 09-15-08, 12:48 PM
So Philly1
Lexus Test Driver

You do realize the higher you go in K (ie. 20K) you lose visibility and you get more light dispersion. As the "K" goes up, the lumen/brightness decreases. It will get "bluer" as you go up which your eyes perceive to be brighter.
Actually i do. I actually did my research. But like i said i like the look and i can see clearly with them. My goal was to go the highest k without looking like a 9v flashlight. And i think i accomplished that I appreciate the info & concern tho.
Old 09-15-08, 02:06 PM
airtime

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

We need some night time shots

I've seen many Honda Civics and the likes with some really blue looking xenon and it pretty annoying to look at. It looks super bright within the first 20 feet or so, then the brightness somehow drops off to the point a regular headlight would brighter. I hope yours is not that blue.

Also, I need to confirm if I'm reading this correct, you have a 20K color temp? It starts to get blue after 10k and at 12k it really shows.

Last edited by airtime; 09-15-08 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: My first DIY- HID bulb replacement