LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Best wiper blades for LS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 05:38 PM
GADawgs
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NWB wiper blades

The previous owner of my 2004 LS430 replaced the OEM wipers with Trico beam type (either Force or Onyx). Those wipers have been working fine but are over two years old and it's time to replace them. I'm thinking about putting OEM blades back on but those will run about $55 from Lexus since the existing blades are aftermarket. I can get the Trico Force replacements for about $20 on sale or after rebate.

I understand that NWB makes the OEM blades. NWB also sells replacement blades that would fit the LS430 (NWB 27-024 and NWB 27-016) that would run about $35 but I don't know whether they can be refiled with Lexus wiper inserts. Does anyone know whether Lexus wiper inserts work in the NWB blades?
Old 10-30-17, 06:05 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

This is a typical problem with people who refuse to buy Lexus OEM blade refills. They ditch the entire blade assembly and buy some cheap *** assembly they is crap. Then they complain about the cost of OEM replacement blades when they won't fit into the cheap replacements. Generally, the ones that suffer from this scenario are subsequent owners who don't have a clue that the previous owners scrapped the OEM to save a few bucks. People need to recognize that this is a luxury car and if you choose to go cheap then you cheapen the car! But, do whatever pleases you, just don't blame Lexus for your choices.
Old 10-30-17, 06:22 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

GADawgs, just bite the bullet and invest in the Lexus blades. Then after that, you'll be using the Lexus inserts. It'll be worth it.
Old 10-31-17, 06:23 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Again, mine were already disposed of, so I went with Valeo ONE's. All I can say is for $11 and $14 (dunno why the long one is cheaper), they work fine, whether going 75 mph in the pouring rain, or in stop and go traffic. The ONEs are newer than the Ultimates, which is why I went with ONEs. imho the frameless ones work better than not, more pressure points.

On my wife's car, OE work the best. Her 2011 actually has 2 kinds of wiper arms, so that is tricky. The reason that OE works best there, is yes, frameless again, and yes, OE is made by Valeo. But the difference between OE and OEM, is that OEM uses adapters, which raises the arm ever so slightly. I disregarded some reviews on amazon which stated that the OEM blades work just fine, but the plastic adapters can detach. Sure enough, the reviews were correct.

There are no such adapters needed on the LS430's hook design, so my recommendation is Valeo. They supply so many mfgs incl BMW and know what they're doing. If our cars were in a Lexus museum, then maybe some engineer in Tahara would say hey, wait a sec, those frameless wipers were not installed at our factory in 2005....my .02
Old 11-03-17, 04:43 PM
GADawgs
10th Gear

To follow up on my earlier post, I ordered the NWB blades (27-016 for the RH side and 27-024 for the LH side) from Advance Auto with free shipping and a liberal return policy that permits online orders to be returned in store. The price from my Lexus dealer was 50% higher and they were out of stock of one of the blades so I would need to order them and then drive well out of my way in Atlanta traffic to pick them up!

The NWB blades appear to be identical to the Lexus blades, installed quickly right out of the box and so far work perfectly. The NWB blades do indeed use the same rubber Lexus wiper inserts as the factory blades! If you have a pre-owned LS430 where the previous owner discarded the factory blades, or just need new fresh ones, this may be a lower cost and convenient option.

NWB wiper bblades and Lexus wiper inserts
Old 11-03-17, 06:03 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

I don't want gray blades on my car.
Old 11-03-17, 06:16 PM
GADawgs
10th Gear

The NWB blades are matte black, not gray. I think my phone camera adjusted the color. The pre-installed rubber insert in the NWB blades is black but glossy, the Lexus inserts are matte black.
Old 11-03-17, 11:51 PM
imdking
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Let's see how many rain seasons those will last, GADawgs. Hopefully you won't be shopping for inserts again next summer.
Old 11-04-17, 09:44 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Blade inserts should be changed every year. A clear vision is an absolute necessity. Twenty dollars or so every year is a good investment for your (and others) safety.
Old 01-19-18, 08:02 AM
obsessed
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Again, mine were already disposed of, so I went with Valeo ONE's. All I can say is for $11 and $14 (dunno why the long one is cheaper), they work fine, whether going 75 mph in the pouring rain, or in stop and go traffic. The ONEs are newer than the Ultimates, which is why I went with ONEs. imho the frameless ones work better than not, more pressure points.

On my wife's car, OE work the best. Her 2011 actually has 2 kinds of wiper arms, so that is tricky. The reason that OE works best there, is yes, frameless again, and yes, OE is made by Valeo. But the difference between OE and OEM, is that OEM uses adapters, which raises the arm ever so slightly. I disregarded some reviews on amazon which stated that the OEM blades work just fine, but the plastic adapters can detach. Sure enough, the reviews were correct.

There are no such adapters needed on the LS430's hook design, so my recommendation is Valeo. They supply so many mfgs incl BMW and know what they're doing. If our cars were in a Lexus museum, then maybe some engineer in Tahara would say hey, wait a sec, those frameless wipers were not installed at our factory in 2005....my .02
If you are going 75 in the pouring rain you are an idiot.
Old 01-19-18, 08:20 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by obsessed
Why? The speed limit is 70, so that's 5 over. It rains where I live.

I just requested a cognitive test at work, and they told me I am a stable genius!

First post for this guy, nice.
Old 01-19-18, 08:21 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by obsessed
First post and he comes out swinging.... I like your style kid, but you may want to tone it down a little...
Old 01-19-18, 08:23 AM
2KHarrier

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Incidentally, for as often as wiper blades get changed, I buy what ever is on sale/cheapest.. Right now I'm using some model of Michelin winter wiper blades
Old 01-19-18, 08:25 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KHarrier
Incidentally, for as often as wiper blades get changed, I buy what ever is on sale/cheapest.. Right now I'm using some model of Michelin winter wiper blades
It's almost hard to go wrong...but I didn't like Goodyears from Costco that were on sale, on my Maxima....I really like Valeo simply because they are OEM to many car cos. be it Asian, German, American...yet Valeo is affordable....($11 to $16)
Old 01-19-18, 08:32 AM
obsessed
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

John,You said POURING rain, not a sprinkle. Speed limits are set for daytime DRY roads. A 70 limit does not mean under ANY conditions. Even if it was legal it’s just not smart. The ticket you would get would be Driving Too Fast For Conditions, not exceeding the speed limit. And we haven’t even mentioned hydroplaning (just in case your treads are not in brand new condition).

Quick Reply: Best wiper blades for LS?